In Dreams - Rock Song

RedStone

I released this recently, and am curious about feedback on the mix even though it's after the fact. It has more than the usual amount of low end for a rock track, but that was planned. At this point, it would be changing my templates if I've missed something huge (hopefully I haven't lol!)

I think a second bass track emphasizing the mids and blended in just enough with your original bass track to give it a bit more definition would help, and it would go well with your vocal, IMO. The vocal(s) float nicely on top. I'm getting a 90's-00's Alt Rock vibe.

Thanks, that's a good reminder. I STRUGGLED with the bass track. It came down to source tones from the guitar itself. Super boomy. The performance was good though, so I kept it and tried to make it work. I'd like to get a jazz bass to see if that helps give a more low-midrange tone while still being able to bring a nice rumbly wash.

And yes, defintely is 90s Alt rock ... wrote it when I was a kid in the 90s with wide eyed dreams of being a rock star. Little did I know it would take 25 years to figure out just the performing part :ROFLMAO:

I thought it was a very good mix overall.

It's a little bit of a muddy mix, but if the band wanted it that way, then they should get it.

Guitars sound good. Vocal sounds good too.

You didn't "miss anything huge." :)

I thought it was a very good mix overall.

It's a little bit of a muddy mix, but if the band wanted it that way, then they should get it.

Guitars sound good. Vocal sounds good too.

You didn't "miss anything huge." :)
I agree with this.

I released this recently, and am curious about feedback on the mix even though it's after the fact. It has more than the usual amount of low end for a rock track, but that was planned. At this point, it would be changing my templates if I've missed something huge (hopefully I haven't lol!)

The Bass stuff isn't overwhelming the mix - but the bass in the Guitars is mucking up things - over all I think it sounds good - but you could take the mix a little farther - like maybe a little more reverb/delay on the vocals - reminds me of early 90s Pearl Jam/Alt Rock - BTW The Watery guitar that starts at 3:28 is just fantastic - I heard it and had to think about it for a second - it stands out without being mixed forward - but really adds to the flavor of the song.

Cool thanks for the feedback!

I agree on the muddiness of the mix. I did some hunting and discovered brittleness in a drum room mic which was causing me to make decisions on a bunch of things. After cleaning that up, everything fell into place much easier.

Lesson learned. Always check drum rooms mics!

🙌🤘

Agree with Papanate. Sounds like most of the mud is from the guitars. Otherwise, the mix is good.

Nice song, reminds me a bit of Big Wreck.

I think I disagree on the mud coming from the guitars - though I do hear that build-up in the original mix.

I believe the mud is ultimately coming from a lack of upper-mids and top end, which was a deliberate choice because boosting the top end of the original mix made it super brittle sounding. It goes back to the drum room mic being overly present in the upper mids and highs (really trashy), which in turn masked critical clarity in the vocals, guitars and FX, and made the cymbals and hats crazy to tame during post production.

So this "Remix" is simply me going into the mix, and destroying 2khz with a wide Q on that drum room hahaha. I felt I could suddenly hear so much more of the mix once I did that.

I'm curious if the attached fixes the mud problem, but isn't too crispy. I liked the way it sounds on everything I've played it on so far, but more ears are good :D

I'm also really wanting to be able to master my own music, and hopefully other people's too if I can get good enough. I can't describe how much I love doing this and solving weird sonic balancing issues.

Attachments

• 02 In Dreams (Remix) - Restart Distribution Final.mp3
    10.5 MB
Last edited:
I like it. Quite a bit. The muddiness of the mix actually works with this tune. It provides a wave of sound for the vocal to ‘surf’ on. ( haha, that statement shows I watched the video :-) )

The vocal is not only good, but it has a nice presence and clarity to it.

But honestly, I may not have even noticed had others not brought it up. But it’s not like I listened on a good system. Just my phone running a mediocre Bluetooth speaker.
So no real legit mix critique

But I dug the tune (fwiw) :thumbs up:

I think I disagree on the mud coming from the guitars - though I do hear that build-up in the original mix.

I believe the mud is ultimately coming from a lack of upper-mids and top end, which was a deliberate choice because boosting the top end of the original mix made it super brittle sounding. It goes back to the drum room mic being overly present in the upper mids and highs (really trashy), which in turn masked critical clarity in the vocals, guitars and FX, and made the cymbals and hats crazy to tame during post production.

So this "Remix" is simply me going into the mix, and destroying 2khz with a wide Q on that drum room hahaha. I felt I could suddenly hear so much more of the mix once I did that.

I'm curious if the attached fixes the mud problem, but isn't too crispy. I liked the way it sounds on everything I've played it on so far, but more ears are good :D

I'm also really wanting to be able to master my own music, and hopefully other people's too if I can get good enough. I can't describe how much I love doing this and solving weird sonic balancing issues.
I think the second mix is clearer. Enjoyed the tune. I definitely got a Creed vibe from this. Nice work. My favorite part is that you wrote this when you were young. I love breathing new life into old tunes. Thanks for sharing!

I think the second mix is clearer. Enjoyed the tune. I definitely got a Creed vibe from this. Nice work. My favorite part is that you wrote this when you were young. I love breathing new life into old tunes. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks @Flyguitarfish
Creed, Pearl Jam, and Stone Temple Pilots ... Those were the influences for sure. I remember seeing a claymation death match where Eddie Vedder and Scott Stapp duel to the death over their voices 😂

Me too. But a lot like the grundge rock mixes of the 90s. This puts me in mind of that, mix-wise and vocals.
That's a huge compliment. Thank you! It's what I was aiming for in both the music and production. Kind of a throwback for late millenial dad rockers 😆

I think the song is real nice, especially written by a kid in the 90s!

It sounds ok on small speakers (phone speakers, bluetooth speakers etc.) that you can't hear the low end and upper highs on. The problem is that when I listen on better speakers it kinda turns into a bit of a mud fest, maybe over compressed and the vocal doesn't really cut through. The mix is not bad but with a bit more space, width and clarity it could be really good. Like I said before, I think the song is real nice.

Back