I'm So Sick Of My NS10's

crawdad

Dammit, Jim, Shut Up!
These damn things are going into the sale bin and here's why--they give me no clue on the last two octaves of low end in my mixes. I suppose one can guess and adjust, but I'm tired of guessing. I can live with the rest of their faults--the harshness, lack of imaging and air--but I've mixed my last recording on these cracker boxes.

Unfortunately, my budget is still in the lowlands--around $500 for something else. Can anyone point me to a step up from here?

yorkville ysm1p's.

i don't think you could find a single negative review or unhappy customer of those. they perform well above their class.

based on what your mixes sound like, Id say keep what you have.....maybe just use a second set of consumer type speakers set up in a A/B fashion.....that way you could mix mostly on the NS10's and flip to the others to check the low end......

I can understand the frustration because my Tannoy ProtoJ's lack low end response too....usually i just crank it up a bit and roll back a few feet, even stand in the doorway, to help judge it better.......

so, for the $500, do you wanna stay with passives or go active?

I would definately recommend Yorkville YSM1ps. Like bleyrad said, I've never seen a negative review on them.

Hey, thanks guys. Its funny, but the Yorkville's are up on my list--strictly based on reviews. I know Blue Bear owns some as a second reference and he speaks highly of them for the money. If I go that route, I'd probably go with the active version.

Gidge--thats not a bad idea, but I really want something that allows me to hear different frequency ranges more clearly. I would probably keep the NS10's at least until I felt comfortable with new monitors.

jake-owa--Once I find something else, I may sell these. Interested?

Hey--have you guys actually heard these YSMp's? How would they compare to the Mackie's?

If money were LESS of an object in the decision, I think I'd go with the Blue Sky system, but I haven't heard that either. When I bought the NS10's, I heard them in three different studios in Nashville--everybody seemed to have a pair. My thinking at the time was that if they are good enough for the pros, they'd work for me. What I failed to consider was that they also had other monitors--like Genelecs--to switch to. Heck, I might just order a passive set of the Yorkies--they are cheap enough.

Would I still want a sub?

i own a pair of YSM1p's (the active version)

they are absolutely stellar.

i auditioned all similar monitors in the price range in a single listening when going to the store (20/20's, tannoy reveal, truths, etc etc). the yorkies blew em all away. many had bass that was hyped quite a bit more but their frequency response seemed all over the map as a result, and none had as smooth a midrange as the yorkvilles. interestingly, i also prefered their sound by quite a bit over the mackie 824's. the mackie's had more shaking bass, but everything else about them was worse.
still, the yorkies are flat and tight all the way down to 39Hz. i must stress TIGHT BASS. it's not huge and in-your-face, but it's damned accurate and fast.

they sound very similar to genelec's that i've heard. the genelecs maybe have slightly more openness on the top and bottom. but really, the yorkvilles are amazing for the money.

in all truth, you really just need to go audition monitors and decide for yourself what you like. just make sure to include yorkville's in what you listen to.

bleyrad--you're making me lust for some Yorkvilles! Thanks for that in depth post. Its great to hear from an experienced user who knows about the product and how they compare to similar products. Some of those harmony-central reviews are pretty suspect--"I just got my Behringer Eurorack and it BLOWS AWAY EVERYTHING! Better than NEVE! I'd KILL MYSELF if it were lost or stolen!". LOL!

My problem is that nobody carries them here in Detriot, so I'll have to buy them on reputation and the word of others with experience.

jake-owa--If I sell 'em, I'll talk to you first, OK?

Ive got the 824s and had a pair of passive Yorks as well.

For the money, go for the Yorks.

I bought the 824s for the low bass response and wanted to sort of move up a little with my monitor class.

The Yorks are good though. You will not be disappointed.

Malcolm

For what it's worth, I mix lamost exclusively on Yorkies (passive). For the money, it's hard to go wrong. They have a ton of bass (not enough for rap though).

Track Rat said:
For what it's worth, I mix lamost exclusively on Yorkies (passive). For the money, it's hard to go wrong. They have a ton of bass (not enough for rap though).

Yep,
Thats why I got the 824s. I could mix rap pretty good on the yorks, but I wanted to hear more of what I was getting rather than guess with the yorks.

Now Im still learning the 824s. I tend to remove too much low end with these until I got some bass traps.

Yorks and a sub and you should be fine.

Malcolm

Because of the wave length, I have found that even being tuned to the room, I have to back away from my monitors to hear the frequencies in the lower octaves clearly.

My general rule: If I can hear it strong when I'm close to them, then I have that freq too loud :D

alien said:
Because of the wave length, I have found that even being tuned to the room, I have to back away from my monitors to hear the frequencies in the lower octaves clearly.

My general rule: If I can hear it strong when I'm close to them, then I have that freq too loud :D
That's what you call "learning your monitors and the room they're in".:cool:

At the studio I work at, we installed a sub to work with the NS-10's. While the NS-10's themselves didn't improve (not really knocking NS-10's, but they are sort of like Scotch, an aquired taste that some never aquire! :)), we did get a much better idea of what was going on in the low end from the sub! You of course will need a decent sized room and proper acoustical treatments for this new found low end. We installed in all the corners mechanical bass traps which did help tighten up the low end a bit.

Good luck.

Ed

Different people are talking about subs in this thread, and I'm really interested, but anybody care to name names?

My monitors are good down to about 70 Hz. I'd be really happy to have another octave past that.

I've heard it's bad to mix in subwoofers that weren't designed specifically for that system . . . that it can be sort of a hit or miss thing, and may wind up doing more harm than good, etc.

Anyone know if there's any truth to that?

I've been having problems with the low end on my NS10's too. The Yorkie's sound interesting. I'm just about to the point where I am going to pull my home theatre sub and try it out on my monitoring system.

Back