I'm kinda scared to post, but...

Chinaman

...just wondering what you think of this tune of mine. It's the best I can do with what I've got and what little I know.

I've learned lot about recording and mixing from the threads on this bbs, but I think there's still quite a bit to go.

Okay, you can tear me a new one now :eek:

I like the way the arrangement builds as it goes. It's got an exuberant feel to it, and for some reason makes me think of "I'm Walkin' on Sunshine" by Katrina and the Waves. Tight rhythmic playing throughout. My only critique is that the lead gtr is a little flat a lot of the time, but just a bit really so it's no big deal. Bottom line Mike, FWIW... I like it.

Tim

Chinaman...I was scared to post here too at first. I, like you, learned alot by hanging around here and reading, etc...But everyone is cool and I've actually learned a lot more since I started posting because people will give good honest advice and opinions. We've all got so much to learn still, so nobody is going to rip anyone a new one.

Ok, I like this tune. Very nice melody and beefy lead guitar tone. It's a cool jam. It seems like too much stuff is in the middle, I'd spread stuff out, panning-wise.
Also, the drum machine sounds pretty good, but the crash is hurting me. I guess there's only one cymbal, unfortunately. When you hit 2 crashed in a row, it gets a bit noisy. But that's the worse thing I can say. It's a good performance and I love the guit sound.

Chinaman said:
...just wondering what you think of this tune of mine. It's the best I can do with what I've got and what little I know.

I've learned lot about recording and mixing from the threads on this bbs, but I think there's still quite a bit to go.

Okay, you can tear me a new one now :eek:

Sounds well mixed, actually. Might need a bit of panning, as RAMI says, but is a great start. Great performance, also. Very clean playing. Satriani, and Johnson like. Reminds me of Summer Song a bit. Very upbeat.

Maybe you should find a better host for your tune.
I am only getting 2-3kb a sec....and yes I'm on a high speed line.

I know...I'm in a needling mood...I was just teasing you, brother.

The tune is also on my SoundClick page (the link in my sig, second tune from the top).. Dunno if that would be any faster. What do you guys normally use for hosting?

Thanks for listening and throwing in your $0.02, guys. I really appreciate it :)

Regarding panning... I've got various things in the drum kit panned slightly left and right. Do those need to be a little more drastic? Bass, rhythm, and lead guitars were all down the middle (i guess that was a bit too much). How much should I pan the lead and rhythm guitars and once panned, do I leave them there or move them into the middle from time to time?

The drum machine... the sounds are from an old Boss Dr. Rhythm, but I found it easier to put them into Fruity Loops and program with that. There's actually 2 crashes and a bell, but some of those got drowned out. I'll have to boost those a little after I take out a bunch of those cymbal hits.

Again, thanks for listening and the suggestions.

Mike

I am going to go ahead an assume these guitars are D.I. The lead guitar is o.k. but the backing guitar is very buzz saw. Do not get me wrong I like the arrangement a lot but I am guessing it would sound way better with a miced up guitar.

China....The drums were panned fine. I just found that everything else was right down the middle, like you said. It doesn't have to be drastic. You can leave the bass in the middle, but maybe pan one guit to about 2 or 3 o'clock and the other guit at about 11 or 10 o'clock. Just that little bit of panning would spread things out. Your playing is awesome and your tone is thick like molasses, amn.

(I got the whole song in 30 secs, 138 kbps.... I use freenetname for hosting my website/songs, and am also hosting on my own machine occasionally.)

I think the guitars are fine!, but the drums need some work, IMHO.... not just the soundsamples, but the arrangement of them.... the part with the ride going 3 times and skipping the last kinda tripped it up for me....

I kept waiting for the vocals though :D

cool.

Awesome. I've been wanting to do something like that - a nice instrumental jam with a catchy melody going on. Great job! Very inspirational to me - makes me want to get to work on mine.

The crash cymbol thing would be my only complaint, but nothing to worry about really. I have that issue all the time when programming drums. It's either the toms or cymbols that sounds weird/fake. Just bury them more next time. That's what I do.

Seems like you panned the bass too hard left - I always felt like bass should be down the middle, but I don't really know.

Thanks for listening guys :)

johndowis said:
Seems like you panned the bass too hard left - I always felt like bass should be down the middle, but I don't really know.
Huh? the bass, guitars, and kick drum were all down the middle. Are you sure you were hearing it off to the side? :confused:

Back