I'm building a new guitar

I hadn't done anything with the body since I cut it out last week, so it was still pretty rough. Today I contoured the front and back similar to a strat. I want it to be light and comfortable to play. I had run the body blank through the surface planer, so the front and back were smooth, and flat. I sanded it all, and then made a radius cut on the edges. I shot a good coat of primer on it to seal things, and glued in the neck.

This is a sleeper block I put in the neck pocket so that I could run the router with the radius bit around the body front, and back. It's to guide the roller bearing on the bit, and to keep from splitting the wood.
srfcstr23.jpg

I streamlined the neck joint. It's taking shape.
srfcstr25.jpg

srfcstr24.jpg

All glued up :)
srfcstr26.jpg

Some progress. I took the clamps off after 24 hours or so. A quick check with the straightedge showed that everything lines up very good.

I've routed out for the neck pickup. If it looks a little large, it's because I've left enough room for about any type of pickup I might want to install in the future. I've got a few sitting around that I can make additional pickguards for. (mini hum, telecaster, P-90, humbucker). If I put a plug on the neck pickup, I'll be able to swap them out in just a few minutes. I plan to make the tone capacitors interchangeable too.

I also made the control cavity. I kept the controls back and out of the way. My biggest gripe about a tele is the knob , and pickup selector location.

I couldn't find my template for the bridge pickup. If it doesn't turn up today, I'll make a new one.
srfcstr27.jpg

srfcstr28.jpg

Last edited:
Today I made and installed edge markers on the neck. I wasn't sure how I would do this, but I came up with a pretty simple solution.

I made a tiny plug cutter out of a piece from a telescopic radio antenna. I serrated the end, chucked it up in a drill, and it worked great.

I finished shaping the neck. I used a rasp this time more than I ever have before. It was easy to control, and cut very well into the maple.
srfcstr29.jpg

srfcstr30.jpg

srfcstr31.jpg

srfcstr32.jpg

I ended the evening by putting the first coat of finish on the neck. I'm using waterborne urethane.
srfcstr33.jpg

srfcstr34.jpg

For wooden dots most guys use a dowel of the wood in question that is about pencil wide, sharpen a point on it with a pencil sharpener and then drill a hole the diametre required in the neck. Glue the tip in the hole along with the dowel (with superglue) and cut it off just above flush and repeat. Result = all dots the correct size and perfectly round. I can do a set of dots in about 15 minutes that way. I'll try and do a pic set of it next time I do one.

I like your mini plug cutter though. Ingenious..:thumbs up:

The rest of the build looks like it's coming on nice. Whats your finishing regime normally?

I was forced to improvise on the dots. Once I found my solution, it only took a few minutes.
Whats your finishing regime normally?

I really have no normal. I experimented with the urethane when I made the mahogany guitar. I ended up using tru-oil on that one. I still had some of the urethane on hand, and figured why not. It should work great on the neck. The water clean-up is nice. I'm not sure what to do with the body yet on this one. Still deciding...

Sweet build, and pics; JCH. Thanks for posting!:thumbs up:

Also, good deal posting the Dremel planer. That must be the only attachment I don't have.

Sweet build, and pics; JCH. Thanks for posting!:thumbs up:

Also, good deal posting the Dremel planer. That must be the only attachment I don't have.
Thanks Slowguy.... The little dremel planer works great. I bought it thinking it would be nice for shaping necks. It was, but I find myself using it for many things. Most of the dremel products are small, under-powered, and not very useful to me. The planer is an exception.

I've been helping a friend move for the last few days, but I'm done with that now. I did have time however to do the fretwork, drill for the bridge, and put another two coats of urethane on the neck. I'll be working on it this evening.

I'll be busy working the next few days, but I'll still try to carry on with the finish.

I'm trying to get a good build-up on the neck. The waterborne urethane seemed to work better on my sample. It's taking quite a few coats so far.

The acrylic red on the body I'll let dry two more days. Then I'll sand it and re-coat. If I think it needs it, I'll shoot a clear coat over it.

Here it is mocked up. What do you all think?
srfcstr36.jpg

Looking good. I assume you are spraying the body and brushing the neck?

What waterbourne lacquer are you using? I've always found them to be a right PITA to brush...

Looking good. I assume you are spraying the body and brushing the neck?

What waterbourne lacquer are you using? I've always found them to be a right PITA to brush...

Correct on both assumptions. It's minwax waterborne gloss poly. I'm trying to stay away from nitro, but it sure would have been easier.:facepalm:

Thanks everyone. I'm back at it after working for a living for a few days. While polishing the finish I was a little carried away, and it got too thin on one edge, so I had to spray one more coat on the top. This will have to be it, because I have no more paint. I'll probably start assembly tomorrow.

srfcstr37.jpg

Are you not putting a clear coat on it?
I don't think I will. I've got a sample that I'll try it on before I decide though. The red has a nice gloss by itself. I need to let it harden for a few days before I carry on, but it should be fine.
srfcstr38.jpg

I always clear coat for several reasons. It adds depth to the finish and it is easier to touch in. Many colour coats oxidise and will fade with time. Selective refinishing could well result in "fresh spots". Also day to day wear on solid finishes can often result in colour differences on solid colours.

Yes most clear coats will yellow over time but it is less obvious than on many solid colours. Finishing is part alchemy so good luck which ever way you go. Test on scrap and take notes..;)

I always clear coat for several reasons. It adds depth to the finish and it is easier to touch in. Many colour coats oxidise and will fade with time.
Very good point. I would be unhappy if it faded to pink. I haven't committed yet to anything. I'll spray some clear on my sample today, and decide from there.

Back