IK Multimedia Freebies

spantini

COO of me, inc.
MODO BASS 2 & MODO DRUM

IK Multimedia has just automatically added MODO BASS 2 and MODO DRUM to my account.. as freebies.

I've only had time to take a quick peek at MODO BASS 2. There are 22 basses available, but it only comes with one activated - the 60's P-Bass, which sounds pretty good. You can play notes from a neck with strings, or switch to piano keys. It's a different animal where playing is concerned - I'm not really warming to the idea of step-entering bass notes, then spending hours tweaking parameters. That's taking all the spontaneous creativity out of the artform. Maybe I could use it for reinforcing and beefing up analog bass parts.

Or maybe there's a MIDI bass cheaply available.. I've not looked into anything like that yet.

Or... just some software allowing me to use my analog basses - something like this HERE

Last edited:
I have a few VSTi packages (I think Kontakt is one of them) with some midi bass options. Recently used a fretless preset from one of the packages I own that sounded really good on the track. There's definitely options out there, though probably more heavily weighted toward bass tones for electronic music.

For analog, I just use Amplitube. If looking to be creative and really shape the sound, I duplicate the live/analog track, set a trimmed EQ so one track handles lower frequencies and the other track higher frequencies, then select the pedals, effects, compression, and amps according to what I want the bass tone to be for each of the tracks. This replicates the dual channel effect many pros like to use to keep the bottom end punchy (and/or beefy) but add a touch of attitude/overdrive to the upper end. It definitely adds a lot of flexibility to really dial things in if looking for a specific sound.

This MODO BASS 2 does offer a couple of acoustic double bass models (purchase separately). I also use AmpliTube - the Fender Collection. I have to say though, so far I haven't been satisfied with any of the pedals. There are a couple rack units I like but haven't found a good use for them yet. Mostly, I like sticking to Amp/Cab/Room/Mic combos for my sounds. I've got IK's Gallien-Krueger 150 bass head that I really like, also a Plugin Alliance Ampeg SVT setup for some gritty old-school rock.

MixBox

IK added another freebie to my account - the MixBox

It's a pretty cool item, but only comes with a couple modules.. and those are nothing to speak of.. so loading it up with optional modules is going to be rather costly.

Included in the FREEBIE version :

AMP : Flexi Amp
CHANNEL STRIP : Channel Strip (basic)
DELAY : Digital Delay
DISTORTION : Distortion
DYNAMICS : Limiter
EQ : None
FILTER : Filter Phaser
MODULATION : Chorus
REVERB : Digital Reverb
SATURATION : None

Here's a video which provides a basic overview, not a full review. You can get a good idea of this plugin's full capabilities and potential - which are rather tastey (to my eyes and ears) but expensive.

I have tons of IKM plugins and VIs but we need to share the dirty IKM secret with the newbies and the unaware: Installing Custom Shop will install also install every unactivated and unpurchased plugin (or its ghost) into your plugin directories. They will all appear in your DAW's plugin list without any indication of them actually being functional until you select them, at which point the will either work if you purchased them or not work and offer you an opportunity to purchase them (i.e., they are workflow-stopping advertisements). Just be aware.

Paj
8^)

Last edited:
That's a fact, @Paj. My AmpliTube 4 flows pretty smooth, but AmpliTube 5 has so many of those unactivated plugins it can put a real drag on the system. Mostly just loading times when added to a track, then adding AmpliTube 5 to more than 2 tracks can bring the whole project to a halt. I plan on moving all those unpurchased plugins to a separate folder one of these days.

Reactions: Paj
I was just over to IK Multimedia after updating Amp 5 (they fixed a slow load problem, BTW) and they've got another sale going with freebies. It's a complicated structure, but the basic level is Buy 1 Get 2 of equal/lesser value free. I was looking at the AmpliTube SVX (Ampeg models) collection for $99.99, which offers some pretty good sounds, but I've already got Ampeg's Suite. Still, there are other items in the SVX, like nice mic and cab models - all bass related, as well as a bunch of stomp boxes. I toyed with the idea of buying the SVX collection so I could scoop up 2 other collections free, Hendrix, for one. I've even got some points to apply which would reduce the cost, but I decided against it as I don't really need that stuff.

IK Multimedia is awesome. I almost exclusively do my programmed bass parts with Modo Bass. I just wish they included a fretless bass to the freebie version tho...

Back