Iggy. When is old too old?

Both - but what does he got to lose? - BTW He's always been both through out his career - even when Bowie got him all cleaned up.

Both - but what does he got to lose? - BTW He's always been both through out his career - even when Bowie got him all cleaned up.
I know he’s an icon to some. But I just never got the whole ‘Iggy’ thing.

I like Iggy. He's always been a really articulate and intelligent guy with interesting things to say. I've never been a particular fan of his music but he occupies an important part in the story of the development of rock music in the 20th century. He's always been a stage diver. Doing it at 75 makes me.......hold my breath for him. I notice though, that he falls into the crowd nowadays rather than actually dives.
I just never got the whole ‘Iggy’ thing.
I never got the letting some sweaty junkie dive onto you thing ! Imagine if you were smoking or drinking or had clasped hands with a young female {or guy ~ whatever tickles your fancy} in the crowd and she/he turns to you and smiles invitingly then just as the two of you are about to go and get better acquainted, Iggy Pop comes flying through the air and lands on you and dislocates your shoulder and you can't work for 7 weeks and you get laid off ! 😄

I saw this clip and he's 75, so... It's embarrassing.

This is one of the reasons I stay away from people I enjoyed when I was young. Cyndi Lauper was a goddess and now she looks like a fool. The guy from the Cure looks like a deranged old woman. Rockers do not age with any grace. Punk rockers are even worse.

He's a fellow Detroiter and a legend in these parts. That said I am not an Iggy fan per se because I've never been a fan of punk but that doesn't mean that I don't recognize the importance of his contributions to the genre.

So when is old too old? When people stop showing up to his shows or when he physically can no longer do it. Rock on Iggy.

Who the hell wears an orthopedic platform shoe on one foot and not the other? Iggy Pop, that's who. Rock on with your embarrassing self, Iggy!

Great topic!...

In this life everything has an expiration date but when that date actually is varies greatly depending on what task is at hand.
In sports as we enter our 40's we are headed downhill and or out pretty quickly with rare exceptions.
The oldest world chess champion was 58 when he lost his crown.
With Iggy in the video posted here his voice is gone as is his skinny ass physique.
Dude has no shame and I guess that's his business. I think he'd been more appreciated had he had a shirt on..he's all old n wrinkly n shit, yuck.
At 69 I totally get wanting to go out and get my ya ya's out. I enjoy it and I am still able to make some people smile and have a good time.
I started playing the keys at 16 which is a little late and worse yet I played by ear and no formal training. But I dug it and was able to entertain and wow my friends. It was fun then and still is...every bit as much now as then.
I think I was about 18 when there was TV special on Arthur Rubinstein and he was in his 80's blowing peoples minds with his artistry...
Thought to myself now that is cool, I'll be able to do my thing on the keys even when I'm an old man...and I am....old
So yeah when is old too old?
When I was a tile contractor I did a project for a guy in his 80's who owned a bunch of rentals...There was this 80+ year old cat on an extension ladder two stories up fricking painting...again inspired that I want to be able to do that when I'm 80 ( If I am so lucky to make it another 12 years or so...) Based on my physicality today if I do make it there I will be able to pull shit like that off cause I'm rock solid physically.
Not so for one of my hero's Rick Wakeman arthritis has taken his joy away from him...so there are no guarantees and you get what you get...

So on Iggy that he can still draw a crowd and perform good on him. I would not go out of my way to see that performance but I have friends who would be there in a heart beat old and wrinkled themselves.

I got to see Leon Russel when he was really too old to be going out on tour at a really small intimate venue. I was just happy to be able to see the legend do his thing. His piano playing was still awesome but his voice was gone and he needed a cane to get to and from his piano...all crippled up. My buddy was all pissed off that this wasn't the Leon he expected to see...manage your expectations I guess.

We all have our salad days and our "those were the days "times in life

I wrote this didly many years ago after the band broke up and I had turned from a crazy drug using rock n roller
into a white collared conservative flashing my plastic finger "family man"

I remember last December
Or was it July?
I really can't remember
I don't try uh uh, no no
Cause that was then and this is now and things have changed
Names and faces games and places rearranged

Like the guess who said.....Seasons change and so did I , you need not wonder why

He doesn't look a day older than Keith Richards. I did sound for Commander Cody and the Lost Planet Airmen one time. I had my doubts about the Commander
caning his way up to his beat up old Roland piano. When he got there and got going, he handled it all. He didn't last much longer after that. Now at 71, and after the last fiasco, I have decided to sell just about everything and hang up my guns. Just let go of 4 guitars, couple of amps, mics, boards, stands, etc. My looks at my age do bother me when it come to playing, but only for the reason that I don't want to scare the audience. So in answer to the question when is too old too old, my answer is now.

Last edited:
Elton John seems to be taking the cue and bowing out with his Farewell Yellow Brick Road Tour. Folks I know saw him in Nashville and said he looked frail. Maybe he hung on too long, but as long as people keep showing up, why not?

Kind of glad he set his own terms though.

Elton John seems to be taking the cue and bowing out with his Farewell Yellow Brick Road Tour. Folks I know saw him in Nashville and said he looked frail. Maybe he hung on too long, but as long as people keep showing up, why not?

Kind of glad he set his own terms though.
As long as it makes you happy and you still have the chops, go for it.

Reactions: TAE
Back