If you were to learn to play drums all over again

Im going through Benjamin podemskis book on snare drum again(its been like 8 years). Its so crucial to play the snare drum right. :) And it makes a hell of a difference on the drum set. Playing is smoother and natural form is better. If anyone has the patience for this its a must.:)

^ Are you a doctor? I ask because of the Lymphoma mention.

I don't have a lot of experience with 13s but a 7/4 can be really fun to play in a good rock jam.

That's a tough one... How would I relearn drums? I certainly could have practiced more when I first started. All in all, I'm pretty pleased with the route I took learning drums. I play a lot of Ty Smith and Brooks Wackerman style stuff, but Brooks does break out some crazy, funky beats that I have to really listen to over and over again in order to hear exactly what he's doing. So, I would have spent more time practicing odd beats and fills if I got to go back in time and relearn drums.

Stupidest point ever. :rolleyes:

Agreed

Xdrummer mentioned rudiments....can you explain this more ?

Youtube drum rudiments, you'll find them all there played out for you and its a great way to practice them. I can't emphasize these enough, they not only help your fills but also your overall coordination. It will make a lot of things much easier and you'll surprise yourself how much you come along if you practice these.

Also, don't forget to watch/listen to other people drumming. You'll pick up certain things from them that will sound really cool and will inspire you to learn their style which will help diversify your drumming.

I'm taking lessons through my school when I get back from break but before that I've completely self-taught myself and the best way for me to practice was to play along with my iPod. However, lately I can't learn anything new from the bands I've been listening to. But check out the band Rx Bandits if you wanna hear good drumming!

However, lately I can't learn anything new from the bands I've been listening to.

Here are the best drumming albums I've heard (rock drumming, that is):

1. "Guttermouth - Live At The House of Blues"

2. "Hitler Bad, Vandals Good" by The Vandals

3. "Freedumb" and "Free Your Soul and Save my Mind" by Suicidal Tendencies.

Those albums really defined my drumming chops once I mastered the basics of drumming.

Here are the best drumming albums I've heard (rock drumming, that is):

1. "Guttermouth - Live At The House of Blues"

2. "Hitler Bad, Vandals Good" by The Vandals

3. "Freedumb" and "Free Your Soul and Save my Mind" by Suicidal Tendencies.

Those albums really defined my drumming chops once I mastered the basics of drumming.

You really have to listen to more drummers, or get out more. There's nothing wrong with any of the drumming in these bands, but there's absolutely nothing exciting about it either. It just pounds and drives ahead. There are just so many more interesting drummers and drumming to listen to. I confess that I really don't like "punk" music and I don't find anything about most of the music particularly innovative or interesting or challenging.

try listening to Vinnie Colaiuta and the work that he's been doing with Jeff Beck and Tal Wilkenfeld lately.

Listen to Doane Perry (who plays sessions with a lot of people, but has been the primary drummer for Jethro Tull the last couple of decades)

Listen to Danny Carey of Tool.

Listen to Dennis Chambers, Carter Beauford and even Neil Peart for drummers that are putting their own signature to the music and trying to make the percussion element as important and as interesting as the melodic line.

There are hundreds of really good and creative drummers out there on commercial recordings.

You really have to listen to more drummers, or get out more. There's nothing wrong with any of the drumming in these bands, but there's absolutely nothing exciting about it either. It just pounds and drives ahead. There are just so many more interesting drummers and drumming to listen to. I confess that I really don't like "punk" music and I don't find anything about most of the music particularly innovative or interesting or challenging.

try listening to Vinnie Colaiuta and the work that he's been doing with Jeff Beck and Tal Wilkenfeld lately.

Listen to Doane Perry (who plays sessions with a lot of people, but has been the primary drummer for Jethro Tull the last couple of decades)

Listen to Dennis Chambers, Carter Beauford and even Neil Peart for drummers that are putting their own signature to the music and trying to make the percussion element as important and as interesting as the melodic line.

This post might come off as a bit argumentative, so I'd like to say beforehand that I'm not trying to offend or start an argument; I'm just stating my point of view on things. So with that in mind, read on. ;)

Brooks Wackerman just pounds ahead? And Josh Freese isn't interesting to listen to? Since when? No offense, but Dennis Chambers and Neil Peart don't hold a candle to either of those drummers when it comes to technical ability and sheer creativity. And Ty Smith is just a monster: I have never, ever seen a drummer play technical parts as fast and as hard as he does -- it just inhuman what he can do.

I will give credit to Dennis Chambers and the like for being able to pull off more than just rock, but Josh and Brooks have done studio work for trillions of bands spanning just about every known genre.

Granted, the albums I listed fall under tha umbrella of punk, but I have seen a few great modern jazz/rnb drummers. Felix Da Cat and Ronald Brunner Jr. are excellent, albeit not my cup of tea. Heck, Ronald Brunner Jr. was with Suicidal Tendencies for a couple of years -- not many jazz drummers play in hardcore bands.

I'm sure I could learn a few new tricks from listening to Vinnie Colaiuta, but if one wants to develop chops for modern rock music, I think the material I listed is a lot better suited to that end than the older classic rock guys.

Lastly, I'd like to say that, yes, I have heard all the drummers you listed play before. Have you ever seen Ty Smith play? I think you would take back what you said if you did see him play.

This is the best video I could find of Ty Smith online; the quality sucks, but you can see what a monster he is on drums: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEzaKpTgX9w

Here is Josh Freese, like anyone hasn't heard of him before: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHUhEmp38ks

Here's Ronald Brunner Jr. Questionable taste in clothing, good drumming: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxN-I3xMwec
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrFyz9T65Eo&NR=1

There are hundreds of really good and creative drummers out there on commercial recordings.

This is typical elitist bullshit from the drum snob crowd. Not every drummer wants or needs to wank rudiments all over the place.

You say "it just pounds and drives ahead" like it's a bad thing. :rolleyes:

I can't wait till this stupid old-school-masters mentality dies off.

This is typical elitist bullshit from the drum snob crowd. Not every drummer wants or needs to wank rudiments all over the place.

You say "it just pounds and drives ahead" like it's a bad thing. :rolleyes:

I can't wait till this stupid old-school-masters mentality dies off.
I kind of feel this way about both old-school-masters and now-is-better. I think there is soooooomuch snobbery afoot when it comes to music. But I don't think that mentality will ever die out. Someone once asked you why one had to be so absolute about genres of music and you said something like "Coz that's just the way it is". That's why it won't die. For many technoflash theoryrespecters there is a way drums should be played and the more 'pound and drive ahead' styles are simply an inferior species. But the vice is also versa, the less technical styles viewed by those that often don't like the flashy as superior for it's energy and emotion over technique.
Me, I just love drumming, whether virtuoso or basic.
Jack Bruce once made an interesting point on why jazz rock in his opinion"ultimately failed" after a really promising beginning. He felt that too many jazzers looked down on rock. I have to say, he had a good point.

Back