If you post songs here.. Read This

Lt. Bob said:
This is more than just a critique place....it's also a gathering of kindrid spirits so make yourself known.

Amen.....I like to think of the clinic as a place to interact with musicians with varying degrees of experience in playing and recording.

It has nothing to do with genres and personal taste,and those that use that excuse not to listen and comment are just copping out.

The "musician" that has only one style of music that he/she enjoys listening to and playing is not much of a musician anyway.[translation=those who cant find anything good about anything except the one genre of music they play]The one demensional musician doesnt harbor a lot of knowledge.The older musicians here no exactly what Im talking about.Most of the one dimensional musicians that post here only post for a pat on the back and scoff at conctructive criticism.Ah hell,most are peobably young kids who dont know better but still.....I have Big band CD's and I have AC/DC cd's.....I like them all equally.Good music has NO boudarires.

It doesnt take an expert to post comments in the clinic.Im a novice by most standards ,but I do have a set of ears to listen with.

It doesnt take a rocket scientist to listen to a tune and figure out if the melody works,are the instruments placed in a pleasing manner to the ear,is the performance happening,etcccc.....The average music fan can make the obvious observations.

As far as technical advice goes,it doesnt matter if you dont know a lot about that side of things(I dont have a lot of advice on the technical side of thins either),but Im learning.

This place is a like a community, and a community doesnt work unless everyone gets involved and rubs elbows,even if it is just to say "Cool song" or "That sucks" to me man.Dont be the snobby neighbor next door who picks and chooses who he will associate with.

Just get INVOLVED if you want others to get involved in your music.It doest matter if it's not your style of music,expand your musical mind and see what else is going on in other home studios besides your own.

The End.
[edit to add]

Last edited:
don't want to go too far OT here but...

...I have a sneaky feeling some posters will put a song up, and if they get no replies very fast, will give their own post a one star rating :eek: :o

Out comes the sympathy from this great community, and we vote the thing back up to a respectable number of stars.

Does it happen? Doesn't it happen?? C'mon, guys. You know who you are. ;) :p

Chad

PS: If I've missed one of your songs and you'd like some comments from me on your song (as Chess suggests), PM me. It's not because I'm ignoring your tune ;) Others probably feel this way, too.

mixmkr said:

oh..and then their's laziness. (sorry Vox), but I realized I never replied to half the comments on the Sabb tune I redid...but just got too lazy. ME BAD ME THINKS>>>Really had nothing I could THINK TO SAY at the time...so I procrastinated...and read about your fucking toe, JOE!!!

And it STILL fucking hurts.

chessrock - Yes I would definitely want to hear it if you thought it sucked.. Look at a thread I had a few pages back.. Cyan Jaguar said "That sucked on MANY levels." I thanked him for taking the time.. I comment on his threads honestly wherever I see them.. Here or elsewhere.. If you told me it sucked, I would definitely try to hear some of your tunes and see where the comment is coming from.. If yours sounded worse, I would take it with some salt.. Even if yours sounded better, depending on the music I might think it was a preference thing.. In Cyan's case, that is what I know it is because he's the only one who said it..

VOX - great post! I'll always listen to your tunes simply because they are professional and I can probably learn something just by hearing them.

One of the reasons I bothered was because I posted a song and had concerns about the mix.. Most people said it sounded good until I got a reply that said exactly what I was thinking was wrong.. So I thought to myself, maybe if I comment on a bunch of others, I can get more opinions and see if the people who said it sounded good were not listening close, or just can't hear what's wrong, or don't know how to say it or whatever.. I just needed more input, and I thought by giving it, I would receive it... If only 1 out of 5 commented back, I would have been more than happy..

I completely undestand that some people have slow connections etc., and I am not talking about the people who don't comment on anything.. I am talking about the people who's song I sat through and gave them a comment, and they chose to not comment back on my tune, but they have a bunch of other replys on others..

It bothers me especially if it's someone who's song and or/mix was great, because I would obviously be interested in hearing what advice can be offered to me..

I appreciate every bit of feedback I have ever received here.. I go through my threads and immediately return the listen if they have a thread going.. If they don't, I remember when they do start one..

rushfan33, yes you were one of the people I was talking about.. I commented on your tune, and then a few days later you had three threads going.. I saw your comments on some other tunes and you ignored mine, so you immediately made the list.:D I avoided your next threads like black plague.. :D It's cool though.. in some small way I feel better having vented..

Lt. Bob - sorry for corrupting your thread in the Cave bro! :D If you never commented on another one of my songs again, I would still listen and comment on everything thing you put up.. this goes for SLuiCe, mixmkr, theron, CrankyOne, crawdad, Guernica, muzeman, and EVERYONE ELSE that keeps helping out time after time.. I know who it is, and they will always get feedback from me.. :)

participant, Kramer, fenderlikingood, you guys have been commenting on everything too!! Not just my stuff, I see it on others, and that's cool! :D

King Elvis - dude, if you were familiar with some of the bands I listen to, you would hear how original I'm not.. I appreciate what your saying though man.. We cool! :D I'll be checking out your tunes as well..

I'll pick this up tomorrow, I gotta crash.. :)

be cool.. :D

Sam, i'm sure nobody wants to be on your "Black list" (hope i'm not) but it is hard to keep up with the board these days :D

i usualy try to comment if I feel that I can contribute. but you are right ... it's nice to be nice and at list say something if you listened. I don't know if everyone appriciates it but I guess most do even if there is no real critique or advice.

cheers

I know how you feel B.

I listen to most of the songs here, but I only comment if something extraordinary happens.

If the song has a wildcard, I WILL comment.

If the song is very terrible, I try to comment.

If ANYTHING about the song stands out, I coment.

Mostly though, I hear a lot of average stuff that does not interest me either musically or technically, so I just move on to the next one.

People also get tired hearing critiques about their work.

I guess its just something to wkr around. I do it, and I get it done to me. ONe day, I'll write a song like one of macles(hopefully better) and I'll get a bunch of replies.

VOXVENDOR said:

-Keep and eye on your thread and respond to every single post, or piece of advice seperately. I see people post a song and ask for advice, then they get a few critiques, and then don't even come back, or if they do come back it's just a brief thanks. Check out my clinic threads... some have gone 3 pages... I keep the ball rolling I respond to pretty much every post.. Listeners appreciate that your interested in there advice, or thoughts... I hate it when I take the time to listen to someones song and then critique it, and I keep checking back to see if the person accepted my critique or disagreed with me, or thanked me and I get nothing....If im a dick, come back and call me a dick, JUST REPLY TO ME!!!! Then like I was saying above, a few days later there is a brief "thanks" post in response to the whole thead... As a listener, and critic, I wanna know if my advice helped, what you think of my advice, and are you going to change anything according to my advice.. I get frustrated as a critic if the homewrecker doesn't get back to me.. I give up and don't feel like listening anymore... I need feedback to my feedback.

I think thats reasonable, and im being totally honest.....

I am totally feeling what voxvendor said

and speeking of critique ... it seem like on alot of your stuff you mention using Sonic Maximizer (I think???) seems like on everything ... what's up with that??? (kept forgetting to ask you before) :D

and also witch one is it there seems to be three models (of BBE)

cheers

Sabbath.... I had a feeling I was on your list. That's why I responded to this one. I truly am interested in the posts that you and other reccers put up but I also truly feel sometimes that I have nothing to contribute.... and I mean that in a positive way! I didn't realize just how much an opinion whether backed up or not makes a difference. Sometimes it's frustrating because I have not an inkling of knowledge about technical issues when it comes to recording ie, phaze cancellation, ohms, balanced or unbalanced and the like. I record by listening and tweeking until it sounds decent and i know with my limited skills I'm going to be putting up a post soon asking how to fix a blown board! :o

So from here on out I'll give opinions more often.... I promise!

:D

What about your toe vox?....inquiring minds want to know. :D
Is it a corn? Did you stub it? Is it from booting someone out the door? Did a truck back over it? A horse step on it? Shoot yourself in the foot? A woman sucked on it too hard? Dropped a cymbal on it? Used it for a chock while someone changed their tire? Got it caught in a revolving door? Burnt it while trying to set your shoe on fire? Strained it while trying to show how you could open a jar of olives with your feet? Com'n man....details. :D:D:D

rushfan33 said:
I record by listening and tweeking until it sounds decent ........

So from here on out I'll give opinions more often.... I promise!

:D

you know...I know the last sentence quoted above had a different meaning, but taking those two thoughts together...I'd have to say, that's the way MOST of the great engineers record...more so the ones back in the days of yore....

really...who gives a rats ass if you're turning up 2kHz by 4 dB? I'd rather know if it sounds good or bad.

Granted, it's nice to know what you did so you can repeat it, or have a "guess" where to start, but that's a given....eh?

mixmkr said:

you know...I know the last sentence quoted above had a different meaning, but taking those two thoughts together...I'd have to say, that's the way MOST of the great engineers record...more so the ones back in the days of yore....

really...who gives a rats ass if you're turning up 2kHz by 4 dB? I'd rather know if it sounds good or bad.

Granted, it's nice to know what you did so you can repeat it, or have a "guess" where to start, but that's a given....eh?

Too True!!
In the end, you hear a song. You don't stare at meters.

I read somewhere about some big producer (I think it was the guy for the Beatles) walking into a studio and the engineer was worrying about the levels and the producer basically said "Fuck the meters" and then put tape over them so the engineers couldn't see them anymore. Then he basically said "now make it sound good!"

Ever since I heard that I kind of just gave up on the technial aspect.

RF

Well that's it you know. Every town has some guys in it that everyone considers great soundmen because they know a lot of electronics even though their work sounds like shit. They'll have all kinds of "rules" they follow slavishly no matter what without realizing their mixes are no good. I hate that.

I have to agree here.

If I listen to a song,I almost always post a comment.
I take it as that's why people post here,for unbiased input.
Usually I'll look for the threads with the least replys first,I figure they need the help most.

To me,the more comments the better,I use them all to help me with production and mixing,and I appreciate everyone that takes the time to listen.

I always reply to comments because it's common courtesy,and agree whole heartedly with Vox,if I take the time to listen and reply,and the person dosn't reply back,I won't waste my time again.

All in all,this place is really cool though!:D

I make every effort to reciprocate. If somebody listens and responds to one of my tunes, I make the effort to listen to theirs and comment. I know how it feels to put something up and have it ignored. I also try and respond to comments if I have a thread going. I enjoy doing that and it opens up communication, which is what its all about. I never intentionally shun anybody. I have, on occasion, heard something where I had nothing constructive to offer. I feel very awkward about telling somebody that their artistic output sucks, unless I am willing to educate them as to why and what they can do to get good. I don't have that much time to do that.

Yes, I do fail to respond to everything and I do miss a few, but its a time factor for me. I expect that a few of the loyal skip over one of mine now and then too, which I understand. Also, some who comment never post anything, so I can only respond to them in other forums. Thats OK too. And, notice that the view to response ratio is about 10%.

Really, if I were to respond to every post in this forum, I'd have to have at least three hours a day to devote to it. And, I'd never write, record or see my family! Still, I try and really try for those who have helped me.

If anybody wants my input specifically, please send me a message. I check 'em!

Last, I'd like to see the end of threads like "here's five of my bands new songs". Couldn't we just limit it to one song? Like we all have time to listen to an album side and write a term paper on it!:D

Other than that, I like to keep the exchange going. I respond to you, you respond to me, etc. Its just a cool thing.

I comment on everything I listen to. In fact, there was a guy who was asking for feedback in the "Songwriting" forum, he posted a link to his song, I listened to it and in a moment of inspiration I recorded a quick version of my own with what I thought might be some helpful ideas. I then posted a link to it for him to check out. Well as you can probably guess, three or four days went by whithout a response. If he listened to it he could have at least told me where to go if he didn't like it, but honestly I don't think he even came back to the board to see if anyone responded. Lesson learned...

A question... if I've posted some of my own material should I remind the board that it's there by bringing it up to the top every now and then? Should I just hope that people will seek it out? Or should I just move on as I'm inclined to do?

Jon

Back