If I want to record vocals

No. You can set up a simple horn, attached to a needle scraping across a wax cylinder or disc. Wax purity is important for a good signal to noise ratio.

What is critical is the diameter and makeup of the horn. Cheap Chinese silver can be bright and harsh. Fine German brass tends to be warmer sounding. If you have a deep voice, you need a larger bell. Something the size of a tuba will capture the full weight of your voice.

Avoid chintzy industrial diamond needles. A natural stone will give you the smooth, open sound you want, although they are vastly more expensive.

I just hang a piece of Gaffer's tape in front of me (sticky side facing my mouth) and go "direct to tape"

My only problem is when I listen back... my hair gets stuck to that particular take and I can't get it out of my head... there may be a better way... your mileage may vary...

Why record at all? Just write down the words on a piece of paper and show it to the 'listener'
Well.... he said he wants vocals... he did not say anything about.... words...
I just like to... be creative with my vocalizations... that way I don't have to remember them.
He may feel the same way.

Of course you are talking more "high end pro stuff" when you start discussing words... he may be that good!

These are all great suggestions, but, do I really have to write words, can't I just grunt and howl and fart once in awhile?

Don't worry, you don't need no stinkin microphone. It's all being recorded.....every single utterance...you just can't listen to it until your dead :eek:

Back