Ideal Speaker Positioning for Home Studio

mrfye17

Hi Great People of the world.

I am trying to find the optimal positioning for my monitors in my home studio (primarily for Mixing).

There are 2 different positions, both with a good 'Phantom Centre, Depth and Imaging.

The problem that I have is that at Position 1, the Soundstage is even and balanced but the sound from the L/R Speakers blend within the Soundstage, while in Position 2, even though the Soundstage is even and balanced as well, the sound from the L/R Speakers is distinctive - meaning that I can hear Left Spkr distinctively from the Right Spkr and vice versa.

My question is:
Should the sound blend more like Position 1 or is it better to have the separation that Position 2 offers?
Which would be a more real and accurate representation of a Mix, while Mixing for the real world?

Thanking you all in advance,
Chris

All I know about positioning monitors is have the tweeters level with your ears, and pointing at them.
Also if your monitors are on their sides, have the tweeters on the outsides.
It could be your ears that are uneven.

The general rule is to have an equal sided triangle. Your head should be in the triangle not the edge. The width of the triangle and speaker placement would depend on your seating position. If you have a desk that isn’t too deep, the speakers would be closer together. If it’s very deep, of course you’d be sitting back farther and the speakers would have be farther apart to obtain an equal sided triangle.

So get out your measuring tape.

Here’s some insight from a pro. As in actually does music production for a living.

He’s not some youtube ‘advice guy’.

Last edited:
My question is:
Should the sound blend more like Position 1 or is it better to have the separation that Position 2 offers?
Which would be a more real and accurate representation of a Mix, while Mixing for the real world?
From the listening position you should hear the mix as a linear soundfield - not directional in any manner - it is rocket science at all.

To be honest, there are pros and cons with both. Which do you prefer ?
I like to hear distinct sounds from the speakers, but I also like them to blend.

Back