Idea Light Bulbs Blinking On in a Continuous Strobe Effect Growing...

rats

...Perpetually Brighter

It has been a long time since I've posted anything here, been fervently working on 12 songs simultaneously, which has it's good points and it's bad points. Anyway, this one is a pretty rocked out piece, nice and noisy, and the first to reach completion of the new songs in the series. About 9 months ago I posted the first three songs, of which Track Rat and I were going back and forth on mixes with. Those three and this one, along with the other 8 being worked on are slated for a pro mix and master, however I've done all the recording and this mix here. Interested in your thoughts on the recording, mix, playing, composition, whatever.

There are a few minor timing imperfections, but this is a pretty raw rocked out tune, and I have a tendency to leave subtle mistakes in for the human effect. Do you think it sounds too shitty as is?

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=1155&alid=-1

Needs a pretty massive rolloff of the lows, and the vocal is...IS THERE A VOCAL?...

Seriously man, this is a cool piece, and I can tell the vocal totally kicks ass, but it's so fucking blurry right now with the low end and that weird, undefined synth-guitar type stuff, it's very tough to concentrate on it.

This is one of those mixes where I think you'd TOTALLY benefit yourself by throwing a CD into the Car or Truck and turning it up to only about 4 with the bass and treble knobs cranked - and driving around for awhile...then, without changing any EQ or volume on your player, throw in some commercial mix..anything really.

wow...ride sounds great right there, lol...I CAN TOTALLY MAKE OUT THE RIDE :D

I can't wait to hear how this progresses, b/c even through the haze, I can tell the song is very good.

ooop. I just realized something- these are still the pre-programmed drums. We're slated to redo the drums with Bill's live set. Anyway you get the general "idea". It's supposed to have a loud guitars thing, but you may have something on the vocals thing. It seems to sound OK on my car stereo. I think I just really suck at mixing in general. :(

chrisharris said:

This is one of those mixes where I think you'd TOTALLY benefit yourself by throwing a CD into the Car or Truck and turning it up to only about 4 with the bass and treble knobs cranked - and driving around for awhile...then, without changing any EQ or volume on your player, throw in some commercial mix..anything really.

Good idea.

Hey I'm listening to the MP3 on my crappy PC speakers, and I don't know what you guys are talking about! The vocals sound plenty loud!? :confused:

Last edited:
always cool sound effects in your tunes.. I think I got the instrumental version..

Oh Wait, there was some vocals.. If you made the vocals as loud as some of the effecty stuff it would sound better.. Was any of that the Alesis Air synth? cool song.. You should really think about turning up the vocals..

Thanks Sabbath. No this one doesn't sport any airsynth; there's a backwards guitar "lead", a Reason Maelstrom patch, and a guitar synth patch from the GT-6. But this one needs the live drums and the vocs cranked up a bit.

Cool tune--I liked your last one as well. I agree with the general concensus so far-the vocals can come up a pretty good bit. The kick drum is pretty crankin too-good sound but taking alot of mix space. Considering all the cool sonic stuff going on-there doesnt seem to be a big stereo picture, it sounds mono-ish to me. Good rock song though-I like it.

Cool guys, thanks. I'll have to do a before-and-after thing once it's mixed and mastered by the man with the live drums and all!

Ooh ooh ooh! Thumpin bass and drums. Kick went right through my chest.

Really creative, great sounds. Live drum should remove some of the mechanical feel - hope you can keeep the thump!

So were the vocs low intentionally? It was a good sound as it was, but if you meant for them to be out front, they weren't.

Very very cool - into my keepers it goes. Now I REALLY gotta see you guys live...

Daf

Very creative stuff -- I like all the sound effects in there. I'm listening in lo-fi and even on my crappy little speakers I can't make out the vocals :(

Sounds like it would be excellent with those vocals out front more, and I can totally hear how the real drums are gonna make a huge difference.

Good song!

:)

PM me when you get that Elbow Room gig. This is a very cool band sound that I'd love to see live. It's pretty hard to get me more than 2 miles away from my house - so it's gotta be the Elbow Room. Great stuff. But as everyone else said, more vocals. Love those little geetar breaks.

I think you were in the MC5 in another life. Yeah, the vox need to come up two or three ticks. I dig the guitar riff on the breaks. I wanna hear it with the real drums.

Hey! Just when I thought this thread was dead!

Tracky - the MC5 WERE a cool thing for sure, but you see a couple of those guys around at some of the local clubs, and apparently they're major pricks. Some guy I know asked one for an autograph and he basically told him to fuck off!

Fprod - We definitely plan to play the Ypsi/Ann Arbor area this summer, along with Kalamazoo, Toledo, Chicago, and of course Detroit! I think the Elbow Room sounds like as good a place as any. I'll let you know. Send me a PM with your email address!

Jake - Thanks. And you are weird. rolleyes:

boydrj - I'm glad at least you liked the song!

dafduc: As I said to fprod, send me a quick PM if you would so I have your email address handy when we start gigging!

I have a live version of this song that Rwhitey helped us record at a local club back in March. Maybe I'll covert that to an MP3... :eek:

The sound and the subtitle remind me of the Flaming Lips. An influence perhaps? Cool fx, something backwards? Ditto on the vocals and maybe less reverb needed on them.

To say Wayne Coyne's writing style has had no influence on me would be a farce, but my aim is to further develop my own style as it evolves. If you listen to some of the other stuff, there is a strong element of neo-psychedelia that runs rampant throughout the tracks, but we've developed a sound our own mixing the rock sounds of detroit with a bit of experimentation and fun. We're just a normal group of working stiffs with this as our main creative outlet, you can't take it all too seriously when you do it for fun.

Cool vibe. I liked the sound for the most part. I liked the guitar riff. The backwards stuff was a nice addition. Reminds me of a lot of 70's stuff. Almost Spinal Tap - "this one goes to 11."

Add me to the "vocals are too low" crowd. I think the singer is pretty good and delivered a good vocal line. But it's way back in the mix. Little bobbled note in the low harmonies at about :22-:23.

That one rhythm guit is maybe a bit over-distorted. It's more cracking than distorting. IMO of course.

My thoughts...

Back