idea for new desk..

TragikRemix

I am NOT a Gear Whore. ;)
hey everyone,

im taking a CAD class and this is what i managed to do with my learned skills. it is an idea for a desk to fit the setup i would like to have, and custom fits a Toft ATB 16 track console.

atbconsole-1.jpg

anyone have any thoughts about it? will it fly?

i figured on using 5/8" wood on it. is that appropriate?

there's really only one way to get a perfect desk, and thats to build it yourself i guess, or have it built for alot of money :)

what would something like this run me to build? maybe $500 ish?

will it fly?
Only if you add wings. :D

i figured on using 5/8" wood on it. is that appropriate?
No, listen to Trackrat.

there's really only one way to get a perfect desk, and thats to build it yourself i guess,
You got it. Now draw a Vertical section through the rack and one through the mixer support area. Show all your dimensions. Then draw a Longitudinal section showing your joinery/fastening mechanisms. Then draw a plan section. Once you do this, you will have solved any problems and won't run into "brainfarts" once you start building.

anyone have any thoughts about it?
Yes. Recess the base(toe kick)2-3".

Here is an example of what I mean. This is a longitudinal of my console. However, I just Renamed my host ftp site and this is a test to see if I have all the links working correctly before I start my own thread on console design. Lets see if it works.
ConLongit.gif

fitZ

sure, thats funny, i ran dimensions earlier.

atbconsoleDIM.jpg

when you say recess the base, you mean the middle section where your feet would be?

and 3/4 is cheaper and will be just as sturdy?

sure, thats funny, i ran dimensions earlier.
Yea, but it doesn't show how to build it. Thats the point of sections. Just to help others and yourself see how it goes together. At least from my point of view. :)
when you say recess the base, you mean the middle section where your feet would be?
No, under the FX racks. Like this

FXrack.gif

and 3/4 is cheaper and will be just as sturdy?
Why wouldn't something that is 1/8" thicker be stronger? :confused: :rolleyes: As to "cheaper", 3/4" is a standard thickness, 5/8" is very uncommon. Uncommon nominal thickness's such as 3/8" vs 1/2" are more expensive usually. Don't ask why. Thats just the way it is. NORMALLY.
fitZ :)

hehehe

wow blond moment.

i was thinking 3/4 was less than 5/8.. hehe totally a dumb moment.

gotcha on the recession.

i was going to do an orthographic tonite of it. i like to do iso's first cause i get to see it and then backwards engineer it.

How's your project coming Tragik? On another note, are you having fun with AutoCAD yet? We just switched from 2004 to 2007 at work. Generally, I think it's a big improvement, but there are some things that changed for the worse, like the plot menu. WAY more options standard on the right click menu though, and I dig that. Post new drawings if you have them.

im on autocad 06 student edition (only like $160-70 bucks if i remember correctly)

yes, definitley alot more over 04, which we use in school. some things annoy me and i turn them off like 'OTRACK' or whatever it is.

then there is the difference in the block being black instead of white, which i think i could get used to, i could change it if i wanted probably.

i'm working on an ortho view of the desk now, with some changes.

rick- i like that idea with the toe thing! thats pretty cool i must say.

of course, that console is alot of money and this is just some possible preparation :)

Rhinoceros (also just called Rhino) is a much better program than AutoCAD when it comes to furniture design.

I stopped using AutoCAD back in 1999 and have been using Rhino instead since then. I am a professional furniture designer BTW...

It is extremely easy to work with in 3D and has virtually no learning curve if you already know AutoCAD.

http://www.rhino3d.com/

Hey brzilian. Thanks for the link. Just downloaded the evaluation files. I was looking for a good easy to learn 3d program. I tried Sketchup, but for what I am trying to do, it plain sucked. :rolleyes: :mad: :D Anyway, thanks again.
fitZ :)

ill try it too i think, but i already bought autocad so i'm not spendin any more money :) i gotta buy the console to put in that desk ya know!

Yeah, AutoCAD will do you well...stick with that. Sure there are easier, simpler software out there, but AutoCAD will serve you well in other design areas if that is what you are into.

TragikRemix said:
then there is the difference in the block being black instead of white, which i think i could get used to, i could change it if i wanted probably.
:)

Block....you mean object blocks/reference block shapes or the model/paper space colors?

Damn, there are alot of people on here that use Autocad! Me, my profession is a project engineer, I use Autocad 2007 and Autocad Inventer 11 3D

Seeker of Rock said:
Yeah, AutoCAD will do you well...stick with that. Sure there are easier, simpler software out there, but AutoCAD will serve you well in other design areas if that is what you are into.

What other design areas are you referring to?

Product design has already migrated completely to 3D with the likes of Rhino, Alias, FormZ, Solidworks, ProE and Inventor. Most architecture professionals have left AutoCAD for Revit (Autodesk realized that fast and bought them out).

Let see AutoCAD automatically generate all 3 views plus ISO with hidden lines... ;) I do that all the time with Rhino. Draw what you want to draw once in 3D and then be done with it! It blows my mind that people still manually create top, side and front views and waste precious time...

Thats the whole point of 3D - the 2D stuff in the end is a non issue.

when they offer rhino classes on high school, ill switch i guess. until then, i need to get the easy 100 in that class :)

brzilian said:
What other design areas are you referring to?

Product design has already migrated completely to 3D with the likes of Rhino, Alias, FormZ, Solidworks, ProE and Inventor. Most architecture professionals have left AutoCAD for Revit (Autodesk realized that fast and bought them out).

Negative, brzilian. I am an architect. We use AutoCAD and I assure you it is the industry standard still, and will be for quite some time to come. Some engineers still like Microstation, but AutoCAD is what you will get any architecture/landscape architecture/civil and structural engineering files on. We do use sketchup for 3D mockups, and used to use FormZ and 3DStudioMaX, but AutoCAD is the standard for all automated drafting and design. Not sure where you got your info, but it is incorrect.

Tragik, I have the architectural version (Architectural Desktop 2004) at home, but use Landdesk and Map 2007 at work. On the one at home it is under the top menu FORMAT, then OPTIONS at the bottom. You will get a dollo box with about 8 tabs on it...click Display and you will see two boxes, one for model space and one for paper. Click the colors button under paper space and change it to the color you want. In Landdesk and Map, I thought the pull-down menu was not FORMAT but TOOLS, but maybe I'm wrong. Without that version in front of me, I can't say, but once you find OPTIONS from your top pull-down menus, follow the rest and you are there.

Back