i want to turn my 990's into baby bottles.

surfmaster

a lot of people say that the 990's grill affects the sound of the decent capsule. I want to see what it would sound like if i could somehow build one that would be close to the capsule, like a baby bottle mic. I would just go grill-less, but it seems that there is some electrical interference if there isnt anything behind the capsule, weird... whatever. maybe even if I just make something that covers the rear of the capsule and leaves the front open or with some thin mesh over it. I am also later going to replace the capacitors on the pair following this guide link

do you guys think this would be possible? have any of you guys done anything like this? if so suggestions would be great.

heres some pictures of the topless 990

side
1662947141_0721d8c4fd.jpg

front
1663800828_7f188b3ee0.jpg

Last edited:
a lot of people say that the 990's grill affects the sound of the decent capsule. I want to see what it would sound like if i could somehow build one that would be close to the capsule, like a baby bottle mic. I would just go grill-less, but it seems that there is some electrical interference if there isnt anything behind the capsule, weird... whatever. maybe even if I just make something that covers the rear of the capsule and leaves the front open or with some thin mesh over it. I am also later going to replace the capacitors on the pair following this guide link

do you guys think this would be possible? have any of you guys done anything like this? if so suggestions would be great.

heres some pictures of the topless 990

side
1662947141_0721d8c4fd.jpg

front
1663800828_7f188b3ee0.jpg

That would be really interesting to see...heck if it works i'd consider doing it to my 990. BTW, i noticed ur from rochester...thats somewhat close to where i live.

Who would be "a lot of people"?

Can you site examples?

And one of the main reasons for having a grill is to shield the capsule from interference. Try running the mic without it and see what I mean. Nothing weird there at all. Just physics.

Who would be "a lot of people"?

Can you site examples?

And one of the main reasons for having a grill is to shield the capsule from interference. Try running the mic without it and see what I mean. Nothing weird there at all. Just physics.

Yup. The reason you get interference (probably a ton of 60 Hz hum) is that the capsule outputs a signal at an incredibly low level, and the part that is generating that signal is a large, exposed gold-plated plastic diaphragm (read: antenna). Thus, without the protection of that cage, every little electrical signal will be hotter than the signal you're trying to generate, and will stand out really blatantly in the output.

Maybe it should be addressed this way.

What flaws are in the current grill design and what affect does it have on the sound that could be corrected by either removing/altering screens or adding absorption material to reduce reflections inside the grill?

I seriously doubt it would be easy to build a bottle style screen right over the capsule mount.

Yup. The reason you get interference (probably a ton of 60 Hz hum) is that the capsule outputs a signal at an incredibly low level, and the part that is generating that signal is a large, exposed gold-plated plastic diaphragm (read: antenna). Thus, without the protection of that cage, every little electrical signal will be hotter than the signal you're trying to generate, and will stand out really blatantly in the output.

WELL said!!!:)

You could also examine the MCA SP-1, which is the 990 in an MXL V63 style body. That mic gets somewhat high praise.

If you're successful, please post, because I'm considering turning my 990 into a baby wipe. (I do kinda like the 991)

i understand the electrical interference part, and you guys didn't have to shoot me down so fast. these are cheap, easily replaceable mics, and i'm a young, curious college student who just wants to tweak around with them to see how different i can make them.

thanks for the link to the older thread. some great info there on mesh materials and lolipop mics. i dont think i want to replace the capsule as i want to hear what it sounds like with the stock one.

i dont need suggestions for mics that would work better, i just want to tweak around with these. they are a pair of mics that i dont use that often and i just want to see what i can do with them. i also want to learn some more about mics in the process.

thanks for the information guys

edit- i think i'm going to get a pair of these astatic d-104's just to use the headbaskets for. they run about $15 on ebay.

MICR12F.jpg

i see that they have a solid backplate though, this would effect the mic pattern no? would i have to make some ports in the back?

Last edited:
Back