I Wanna Be Your Dog - Greggy Poop does a Stooges cover

Thank you for covering this song, well done.
Iggy Pop is a hero of mine.
My wife has an autographed book of his (he signed the photo of his dick).
This tune "made" the Movie "Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels" for me.

Thanks Steve. Soundcloud does in my opinion hammer and kill sound files. I don't know why I keep using it. Habit I guess, and it seems to be the host du jour right now. The source wav and 320 kbps MP3 sounds better to me than what's in the SC link. I'm of two minds on it - one, if it still sounds okay after being butchered by Soundcloud, then that's good. On the other hand, I'm always harping about people putting up the best quality clip they can, so I should do the same.

Here's a 320 MP3

The Dropbox version sounds clearly better to my ears. Why not use Dropbox all the time? I'm thinking about it.

I was jacking around with my new amp and ended up with this. Nothing serious. Classic Stooges song.

Mix comments welcome and appreciated. :listeningmusic:

I wanna review this one again.

I really liked what you did, so I went and listened to the 30-second snippets of the original Stooges album. (I never heard them before.) It's just excellent stuff, but that's not what this is about. After listening to theirs, I listened to yours again. I actually like your guitar and drum sound better than theirs. For great big loud in yer face music like this, I think what you're doing with the sound makes the song really listenable. The difference is in the sound on the vocal. On the Stooges version, the vocal is really, really clear - effortlessly clear. I don't know how they did that, but one thing is that it's dry - it's like he's standing 10' out in front of the band and you're standing 5' in front of him. By comparison, the vocal in your mix is pushed further back in the mix. So...try a drier vocal and see what it sounds like? The only thing in the original Stooges version that I really like better is the way the vocal's mixed.

I can't believe the album isn't in every home - but I'm an idiot (pun intended).
Truly though, as a teen of the 70's this was know to about 2 of my peers and owned by one.
Next up Greg does Ann? We could find the 'viola drones somewhere.

Pretty good dude. Not bad for a cover song, buddy :D
Thanks dude. :)

Sounds great Greg, might be a bit of low end build up
Ok thanks for checking it out.

Yet another track that I listened too already (last night?) but no time to comment until now...

I think this is one of my favorite recordings I've heard of yours actually. Did you do something different with the drums? They sound less bright and tight somehow...like the skins themselves are more dead, but the whole kit sounds more roomy to me. The cymbals sound more trashy too somehow. I dunno...whatever it is I like it. The whole track has more of a vintagey vibe to it and the guitars sound freakin' fantastic.

I don't know the tune, so I guess it could be the worst cover ever, but I doubt it. You really get locked in towards the end with the solo. The song sounds kind of simple on the surface, but the tiny variations in timing or whatever all come together right there and I thought it really popped. Well done indeed.
Thanks a lot heat. I did in fact try to "vintage" up my drum sound a little on this one. I moongelled the toms and snare to flatten them out and mic'd the kick from the outside. And also......I need new heads. I've been nursing these along for way too long now. Lol. The cymbals are trashy because they're played that way. I didn't ping the ride or use any hi-hats. There's no dynamics or or touch. It's all just bashing and riding crash cymbals. And I think I used a pretty big mono reverb, but can't remember right now.

Yeah, had to stop listening to the soundcloud player and download the 320 version. The crashes are much more tame in that version. The rest of the mix opens right up, sounds good.

Good mix. never heard the song before, but not surprising. Guitars sound great. :)
Thanks a lot man. Soundcloud does indeed suck as do most streaming players. I wonder if their "pro" membership sounds any better. It's just so convenient to have that little player right there in the post.

Thank you for covering this song, well done.
Iggy Pop is a hero of mine.
My wife has an autographed book of his (he signed the photo of his dick).
This tune "made" the Movie "Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels" for me.
Thanks a lot man. I think Iggy is a hero to everyone, they just might not all realize it. :D

The Dropbox version sounds clearly better to my ears. Why not use Dropbox all the time? I'm thinking about it.

I wanna review this one again.

I really liked what you did, so I went and listened to the 30-second snippets of the original Stooges album. (I never heard them before.) It's just excellent stuff, but that's not what this is about. After listening to theirs, I listened to yours again. I actually like your guitar and drum sound better than theirs. For great big loud in yer face music like this, I think what you're doing with the sound makes the song really listenable. The difference is in the sound on the vocal. On the Stooges version, the vocal is really, really clear - effortlessly clear. I don't know how they did that, but one thing is that it's dry - it's like he's standing 10' out in front of the band and you're standing 5' in front of him. By comparison, the vocal in your mix is pushed further back in the mix. So...try a drier vocal and see what it sounds like? The only thing in the original Stooges version that I really like better is the way the vocal's mixed.
Thanks for the comments dobro. I know exactly what you mean about Iggy's vocal style and mix. It's one of the things that makes the original song so uncomfortably intense. It's like he's just talking to you but there's a real desperate uneasiness about it like at any moment he could just kill you. Lol. That's how I hear it anyway. And the simple droning driving repetitive riff behind it just makes it all the more unsettling. I love it. I'm not Iggy though. I'm pretty fucking bad ass, but I'm not 1/10 the badass that Iggy is. Iggy exhales more pure rock and roll badassedness than most people can even dream of. He's a king of kings. Other legends of music genuflect when he comes around, and those that don't are just stupid. Iggy is the true godfather of all music that isn't safe and sterile. The best I can do is to just try to do a good job at covering one of his songs. I don't have his vocal style or delivery and I don't feel whatever he felt when he did this song, so I have to try to match the intensity of the original by just being bigger and louder. That's something that I can do. To me that means having the vocals pushed back and having the drums and guitars bigger and trashier. I'll try a mix later today with drier more up front vocals and see what you think. This cover song really just started by me playing with my new amp. I was fiddling around with it and thought to myself, "let's see what the 'I Wanna Be Your Dog' riff sounds like". It sounded awesome to me just the way I had it set up so I threw a mic in front and got started.

I can't believe the album isn't in every home - but I'm an idiot (pun intended).
Truly though, as a teen of the 70's this was know to about 2 of my peers and owned by one.
Next up Greg does Ann? We could find the 'viola drones somewhere.
I purposefully listen to Stooges albums in the car when I know I'm with people that haven't heard them before. I love their reactions. It almost always makes them uncomfortable. It's not sit back with a glass of wine 60s music. It's not fire up a joint and mellow out music. It's more like you're undecided about setting your living room on fire and they convince you to do it music.

By the way, they released a new album a few months ago. It's not bad. It's kind of bittersweet. It's pretty raw and juvenile like it should be, but it's also like a swan song in some ways.

Thanks a lot man. Soundcloud does indeed suck as do most streaming players. I wonder if their "pro" membership sounds any better. It's just so convenient to have that little player right there in the post.

Not been near my listening setup for a few days, but love the original of this so looking forward to hearing.

I recently upgraded to the "pro" membership on soundcloud and it stays at 128kbs regardless. Thought this might be of interest to you from the admin on the soundcloud forum in terms of minimising the downgrading issues:

Our goal is to have the best-sounding site on the internet, but that is pretty tricky to achieve given how many different encoding/audio formats that exists. We currently transcode tracks down to 128 kbs CBR mp3 for the streams, so yes, stream quality is obviously worse than for uncompressed files. We are looking for alternatives (aac and ogg) for this in the future. we are also considering higher bitrates.

In the meantime, if you want optimal sound quality, you should upload uncompressed files, anything that is WAV, AIF, FLAC in 16bit or more, and 44.1khz or more, will yield the best stream quality. If you are uploading, say a 256kbs mp3 file, we will take that file and transcode it to 128kbs, which means you'll get the artifacts from the 256 encoding + the ones from the 128 encoding, which will sound worse than if you went from lossless->128. So that's my recommendation if you really care about audio quality!

Oh Yeah, the 320 MP3 is SOOOO much better, next I want the FLAC & later the .WAV.
I don't have a problem with the midi Joanna. It's meant to be relentless & metronomic.
Cale's influence is all over the album , drones, repetition, and trance are his forte & the Stooges did them so well: that aggro, jamming push is the perfect blend of producer and band.
I'm a late bloomer - I had frot row tickets to Iggy in Sydney in about 77 but he cancelled as the ticket sales were no where near enough to cover the trip.
I saw him at theatres, pubs and proper venues across the 80's - speaking of metronomic, trance inducing - he performed the Batman theme about 10 times one night (too many people screaming for him to do China Girl after Bowie had the hit with tha poor cousin version). The concert tour that covered his Hansa albums was the best spectacle & sound but the pub gig was the most rock'n'roll. The closest I got to the Stooges was a band called the New Race which had 3 Radio Birdman members a Stooge & an MC5.
I really enjoyed the wah work Greg. I'd rather hear it used as a bludgeon than as filigree any day.

Not been near my listening setup for a few days, but love the original of this so looking forward to hearing.

I recently upgraded to the "pro" membership on soundcloud and it stays at 128kbs regardless. Thought this might be of interest to you from the admin on the soundcloud forum in terms of minimising the downgrading issues:
Yeah I'll give it a try on my next upload. Thanks for the heads up.

Oh Yeah, the 320 MP3 is SOOOO much better, next I want the FLAC & later the .WAV.
I don't have a problem with the midi Joanna. It's meant to be relentless & metronomic.
Cale's influence is all over the album , drones, repetition, and trance are his forte & the Stooges did them so well: that aggro, jamming push is the perfect blend of producer and band.
I'm a late bloomer - I had frot row tickets to Iggy in Sydney in about 77 but he cancelled as the ticket sales were no where near enough to cover the trip.
I saw him at theatres, pubs and proper venues across the 80's - speaking of metronomic, trance inducing - he performed the Batman theme about 10 times one night (too many people screaming for him to do China Girl after Bowie had the hit with tha poor cousin version). The concert tour that covered his Hansa albums was the best spectacle & sound but the pub gig was the most rock'n'roll. The closest I got to the Stooges was a band called the New Race which had 3 Radio Birdman members a Stooge & an MC5.
I really enjoyed the wah work Greg. I'd rather hear it used as a bludgeon than as filigree any day.
Thanks again Ray. I'm hoping The Stooges do a US tour for the new album. Ron Asheton is obviously dead, but the rest of the band is pretty old school. Jay Williamson on guitar like the "Raw Power" days, Mike Watt on bass, Scott Asheton on drums like always, and of course, Iggy. I hope they come to Texas.

Jesus, this guy is better than wonderful. I've been watching youtubes. Check this: the sound is shit, but it makes no difference at all. :laughings::laughings::laughings:

Iggy Pop - Sixteen - YouTube

If you accomplish no more than turning me on to Mr Pop, your life hasn't been wasted.

Jesus, this guy is better than wonderful. I've been watching youtubes. Check this: the sound is shit, but it makes no difference at all. :laughings::laughings::laughings:

Iggy Pop - Sixteen - YouTube

If you accomplish no more than turning me on to Mr Pop, your life hasn't been wasted.

Lol. How can anyone go through life with no knowledge of Iggy? I guess it's better late than never. Surely you've at least heard these before:

Only just today. I've been spending some time on u tube. There's a ton of stuff I've never heard. My listening has been completely accidental. I'm starting to get out more these days. :D

Only just today. I've been spending some time on u tube.

Damn. You poor sheltered man! You got a lot of catching up to do. Go out and get the three original Stooges albums, and everything Iggy did solo up till about.....hell right now. His solo mid/late 70s best-buddies-with-Bowie era is pretty good. You'll be a Real Wild Child before you know it!

Kill City, Williamson's prime example, is a terrific piece; not as primal or heavy but cool stuff nonetheless.
I listened to the 1st album again last night - chose the original CD rather than the remaster with all the extraneous bits - It was interesting making mental notes about the differences between your version & their's - in terms of sonic attack they're very close indeed but still different.
Which mix of Raw Power suits your tastes?

Last edited:
Lol. How can anyone go through life with no knowledge of Iggy? I guess it's better late than never.

I've heard Passenger before and I've seen him topless in those insurance adverts they had over here (an insurance company that wouldn't insure musicians, ironically). He's just some shirtless old man - maybe he should grow up and get a proper job :p.

Kill City, Williamson's prime example, is a terrific piece; not as primal or heavy but cool stuff nonetheless.
I listened to the 1st album again last night - chose the original CD rather than the remaster with all the extraneous bits - It was interesting making mental notes about the differences between your version & their's - in terms of sonic attack they're very close indeed but still different.
Which mix of Raw Power suits your tastes?
I actually really like Iggy's 97 remix in which he put everything into the red. I might be one of the few. Does it sound great? No, but that's why it's awesome. I think I like it because I admire what he was trying to do. When I first heard it I'd been used to the Bowie version for so long that Iggy's remix just blew my mind.....and my speakers. When I first got it I couldn't get over how "hot" and aggressive it seemed, and that was before I had any awareness about loudness and shit like that. I still like it to this day. I listen to both pretty equally.

I've heard Passenger before and I've seen him topless in those insurance adverts they had over here (an insurance company that wouldn't insure musicians, ironically). He's just some shirtless old man - maybe he should grow up and get a proper job :p.

He is in a lot of commercials now. I don't know if people have softened their view of him because he is an old man now, or if they just don't know his history or care. Psychotic junkies aren't usually the first choice by ad agencies to sell products.

Iggy is a legend musically but those insurance adverts were just plain wrong, on every level!

There's a Chrysler commercial over here that has Iggy in it for like one second. It's a commercial about some NYC artist or designer or something that now inhabits the old CBGB location. He supposedly has a sig model Chrysler car. (famously made in Detroit - Iggy is a Michigan guy). So Iggy and this guy are standing on the street waiting and this truck pulls up with this guy's car or something and Iggy gives it kind of a "not bad" look and gets in. The theme is "imported from Detroit" or something like that. I kind of like the commercial because it ties Iggy the man to his roots (Detroit) and something he helped create (punk in NYC) at a place that was the mecca for it all (CBGB's). Chrysler has been using Michigan icons for commercials for a little while now. I think it's pretty cool to use Iggy in NYC. It's just too bad that CBGBs had to die at the hands of hipsters and landlords.

Fuck it, here's the commercial. It's better than my lame ass explanation:

Greg,
the 97 mix doesn't work in headphones. have you tried that?
I did a little A & B ing last night. I've not been a fan of the original mix at anytime but the LP & CD I have had for a decade or more are the Bowie thin mix.
Iggy's remix is brutal but it's not meant to be subtle and it fair leaps out of real speakers so has my vote.

Back