I stand corrected

Big Kenny

Well I'm sitting actually....... After all the heated debate over Elixirs (not stirring the pot, don't get defensive) I threw a set of D'Addarios 17's on my Martin. Well, it sounds better, no question. Fuller spectrum of tone, cleaner bass, cleaner everything, nicer definition all around. Then I threw a set on my Takamine, even more drama. That's why I come here, to find out somebody might have a better idea. Now, will it make as big a difference if I swap out my Elixirs on my electrics (Gretsch 6120, LP standard, Beck Strat, Deluxe Tele, Heritage 535) or not as dramatic. I really like the fact that I VERY SELDOM break a string.

Well how about that? I post the question and start the debate (though it had been had many times before apparently) and someone else acts on the info before I do!

I'm recording a band right now, and they like my acoustic better than any of theirs. I didn't want to change the strings (as in change brand) in the middle of the sessions. They've got one more acoustic song to record (tomorror or tues) so I'll change 'em up after that.

Thanks for the update Big Kenny!

Well I'm sitting actually....... After all the heated debate over Elixirs (not stirring the pot, don't get defensive) I threw a set of D'Addarios 17's on my Martin. Well, it sounds better, no question. Fuller spectrum of tone, cleaner bass, cleaner everything, nicer definition all around. Then I threw a set on my Takamine, even more drama. That's why I come here, to find out somebody might have a better idea. Now, will it make as big a difference if I swap out my Elixirs on my electrics (Gretsch 6120, LP standard, Beck Strat, Deluxe Tele, Heritage 535) or not as dramatic. I really like the fact that I VERY SELDOM break a string.

After over 40 years playing (pro and now for me) I pretty much tried everything over the years. I found that 100% of the time, D'addarios just sounded and lasted better than any of the "new" and "Hot" ideas. Maybe I just don't care anymore?

BTW: I found Elixirs to be a king kong waste of money with no real redeeming value.

I never got on with D'Addarios on electric (and their habit of shipping a laughably light .52 or .54 with their seven string 9 set is, well, laughable... I think the 10-56 is no better), and I'm perfectly happy with the Elixirs on my electics so I'm not about to change. However, I'll be honest, I've been toying with the idea of throwing a few different sets of acoustic strings on my Martin, to see if I find something that I prefer the sound of, as I guess they ARE not as open sounding as they could be. I think for day-by-day practice and jamming it's not a big issue, but while recording that's a different story.

Anyone got any favorites? I generally prefer phospher bronze, if it helps... 12's.

GHS phospher bronze (.12's). I still stand by these and I bet I've tried everything (damn near).

After over 40 years playing (pro and now for me) I pretty much tried everything over the years. I found that 100% of the time, D'addarios just sounded and lasted better than any of the "new" and "Hot" ideas. Maybe I just don't care anymore?

BTW: I found Elixirs to be a king kong waste of money with no real redeeming value.
;)

9 more sets.....

Well Like MCI2424 I ave been playing a long long time, and have tried a lot of strings, for acoustic strings , I go with GIbson Masterbuilt , and Electric sorry boy's but the best for my taste are the Dean Markley's(Signature Series).

Rock On

Ever since I tried the D'Addario Phosphor Bronze Mediums (13's) I haven't used anything else...

Back