I need some help with the Tascam 488 MkII I recently bought

Milk

So i bought this Tascam 488 MKii 2 months ago, it works perfectly fine and all. That's not the problem, the problem is I also bought a TC Electronic M300, multi-effect... and I have no idea how to plug that thing into the tascam. I tried to plug in my guitar directly into the input on the TC M300 and the output in the tascam and it works, but I get some really bad hiss. THe guy who sold me the tascam was running through a TC M300 aswell and did not get that at all. Of course i'm not doing it properly, and I have no idea how to and cannot contact that sir!
I've read through the manuals but I still can't figure it out, i'm sure it's really easy but anyway....
It'd be really nice if I could get some help, I really want to record :v

Gain staging, gain staging, gain staging!

Are you hearing the hiss when you're only monitoring the input or after you've made the recording?

If the hiss is audible before you record, then you've got a gain staging issue where perhaps one early stage, like the Mic input, is cranked too high and then is just passing that noise along to all the other stages after it. So the trick is to try to not over boost any one gain stage to keep the signal clean.

If you've managed that are are getting the hiss after the recording has been made then you may have just had the noise reduction on the 488 turned off or compounded the tape noise by having too low a recording level and then cranked up the playback , which will cause another point of poor gain staging.

So, keep your levels healthy at each stage, make sure the noise reduction is turned on and that you've set health recording levels so that you don't have to crank them afterward to try to compensate and create excess hiss.

Also, the multi-effects unit should be plugged into the effects send receive loop on your 488. Not in-line with your microphone. Plug your Mic into the 488 directly and once again, watch your levels.

Cheers! :)

Try not to post the same question in multiple forums, lest you receive "the wrath of things to come". :D There's a detailed answer for you in the other place you left the question.

Yeah sorry, i was desesperate to get an answer, I really need to start recording for a project

"also the multi-effects unit should be plugged into the effects send receive loop on your 488. Not in-line with your microphone. Plug your Mic into the 488 directly and once again, watch your levels." yes that is what I do, but i'm not sure i'm connecting with the right things? maybe that's the problem?

that's how it is at the back of the multi-effect unit: M300_Rear.jpg

could you tell me exactly where I put the lead into and out of, that'd be nice!

The send lead comes out of the 488 to your L input {or whichever is the 'mono' input} and another lead goes from the L output {or whichever is the 'mono' output} into input 9 on the 488. Or at least it does on the MK 1.

oh wow, it was so simple! haha thanks a lot, it works all good now, even the hiss is gone! yayyy

Back