I need some help with the Tascam 488 MkII I recently bought

Milk

So i bought this Tascam 488 MKii 2 months ago, it works perfectly fine and all. That's not the problem, the problem is I also bought a TC Electronic M300, multi-effect... and I have no idea how to plug that thing into the tascam. I tried to plug in my guitar directly into the input on the TC M300 and the output in the tascam and it works, but I get some really bad hiss. THe guy who sold me the tascam was running through a TC M300 aswell and did not get that at all. Of course i'm not doing it properly, and I have no idea how to and cannot contact that sir!
I've read through the manuals but I still can't figure it out, i'm sure it's really easy but anyway....
It'd be really nice if I could get some help, I really want to record :v

This may not help as I have the Mk1 and I don't know how different the MK 2 is. On the MK 1, you could go straight from guitar to effects unit to 488 but I found it better to via the effects send.
So what I'd do is plug the guitar either into an amp and take a line out into say, input 1 or plug the guitar straight into input 1. Set up your recording route as usual, pan knob hard left, input assign "1/2", record button number 1, fader on channel 1 to number 7, master fader on number 7. Now plug a lead into the effects send 1 input at the back and into the input of the effects unit then connect via the out on the effects unit back into input 9 on the 488. On the 9-10 strip, press the 1/L-2/R assign button down. The knob below the 3-4 controls the overall amount of effect going into the 488 from the effects unit. Set it to about 10 past [as if it were a clock].The two knobs above the "Cue" volume knob control how much effect goes into the two paths that go to effects 1 and 2. Set whichever one you'll use to about 10 past. On the channel strip below the EQ low knob is the channel effects knob. Say you're going to use effects 1, then the more to the left you pan, the more effect will be on the channel. The same goes for effects 2, you'd pan to the right for more effect.
It's a more effective way of coming through an effects unit and easier top control, though it's not the only way.
If you're getting a lot of hiss, perhaps you are recording at too high a level. I've learned, perhaps a little too late in the day, that you can record at low levels as long as everything is recorded at a low level. The high volumes during mixing comes from amps/ monitors.
I hope that makes some kind of sense.

I tried it, plugged it correctly, then i plugged my guitar into my tascam and I do not get any effect, at all. It's getting really annoying :( and i know it does work normally
anyway thanks the nice answer

I have the 488 MKII but it has been a while. What Grim' laid out for you sounded just like what I remember. You said you have the manual, right? Go to page 34 under item 2: Send/Return mix processing. That and page 35 has a diagram for connections. Beyond that trouble shoot it. Try different cables. Try putting a stomp box in place of the multieffect unit.
Hope this helps or that you have it working.

Back