I need new monitors.....

thajeremy

registered abuser
Im about to build an addition onto my house....probably a 16 X 24 room that will be used as a live room. It will be built off of a 13 X24 that I currently mix in....since I will be upgrading my studio space, thought Id also upgrade my monitors.....I will be doing a lot of research over the next few weeks, but I'd like to get some recommendations from you guys....Ill probably be spending $1250 to $1500 on the monitors....I could go over if I NEEDED to...but Id like to stay in that range....anyone care to share their thoughts?

Im about to build an addition onto my house....probably a 16 X 24 room that will be used as a live room. It will be built off of a 13 X24 that I currently mix in....since I will be upgrading my studio space, thought Id also upgrade my monitors.....I will be doing a lot of research over the next few weeks, but I'd like to get some recommendations from you guys....Ill probably be spending $1250 to $1500 on the monitors....I could go over if I NEEDED to...but Id like to stay in that range....anyone care to share their thoughts?

i checked out a bunch of monitors recently and i was most impressed with the dynaudio bm5a's. if i had the cash to blow on them, i'd do it. they cost anywhere from 850-1000 usd depending on where you get them. at least check out the reviews on these and maybe try and listen to them because they blew away monitors that were much more expensive IMO.

in GC land (which is as good as I'm allowed to taste)....DYNBM5A.

bleyrad was mentioning he upgraded to the DYN6 or DYN15...not sure of their cost. But most likely more of the same great sound.

I don't even know where you can test out anything higher end?:confused:

What kind of space? Room for floorstanders or are you going to have to use near/mid-fields...?

ADAM A7's... Very nice in either case, but if you're not messing with a big console in front of you and you have the space in the room, might as well go for the gusto... You could easily pick up a set of used B&W 605's and a used Rotel 1080 to power them for that...

What kind of space? Room for floorstanders or are you going to have to use near/mid-fields...?

ADAM A7's... Very nice in either case, but if you're not messing with a big console in front of you and you have the space in the room, might as well go for the gusto... You could easily pick up a set of used B&W 605's and a used Rotel 1080 to power them for that...

nope...no big console....just a mackie HUI. I will have them in a 13 X 24 room that has nothing more than a desk and my homemade 703 panels...

I had already checked out the A7's and they are definatly on my list. I wonder how these would compare to some of the nicer KRK's...like the VXT...I could get a pair of VXT8's and a sub in that range as well...

I think you'd find the ADAM's almost universally better, bigger, more accurate, etc. than the VTX's...

And yes, B&W 805's rock. Even the old Matrix 805's rock. Small, but very nice to work with.

well...like I said, the A7's were on my list....

so are the P33-A's....unfortunatly...slightly over budget....

There are several other Dual speaker monitors that look really cool....M-audio makes one...Mackie HR626,

I also have to mention the Event Precision 8's as well....anyone have any thoughts on these...or do the Adam's still take first?

:DYo Jeremy:

The A7s, two of them, go for 1k--there is no lower price anywhere unless you marry one of the Adam daughters.:eek: And, free shipping usually goes with a purchase of that calibre.

My Adam A7s are the 4th pair of monitors and will last me for a very long time. They have all the power you will need and are very clear. Hard to believe the smaller woofers are so pure; but, it's that German technology inside in my HO.

I have the A7s hooked into my 1600 via TRS cables--nice connection.

When you get around the 1k price, I'm sure that the monitors are pretty good; it's just a matter of "ears." Or, background and quality. If you hear a pair you like better than the A7s, they will probably cost more.

Green Hornet:cool:

The A7s, two of them, go for 1k--there is no lower price anywhere unless you marry one of the Adam daughters.:eek: And, free shipping usually goes with a purchase of that calibre.

My Adam A7s are the 4th pair of monitors and will last me for a very long time. They have all the power you will need and are very clear. Hard to believe the smaller woofers are so pure; but, it's that German technology inside in my HO.

I have the A7s hooked into my 1600 via TRS cables--nice connection.

When you get around the 1k price, I'm sure that the monitors are pretty good; it's just a matter of "ears." Or, background and quality. If you hear a pair you like better than the A7s, they will probably cost more.

Green Hornet:cool:

thanks man....
the A7's are my choice right now...and I may look at a sub as well...but maybe down the road....

damn Id really like a set with dual woofers though...dont they just look cool as hell??? :p

My Adam A7s are the 4th pair of monitors and will last me for a very long time. They have all the power you will need and are very clear. Hard to believe the smaller woofers are so pure; but, it's that German technology inside in my HO..

Adam is one of the eligible brands for Musicians Friend's instant rebate sale, so if you buy a pair and, say a 12 pack of picks or a set of guitar strings (to put you over $1000), you can get them for $850 shipped. I actually got mine new even cheaper.

I have the A7s hooked into my 1600 via TRS cables--nice connection...

I take it you mean TRS to XLR? One of the very minor drawbacks to the Apogee Duet is unbalanced outputs, so I had to go from TRS to XLR connections from my old interface (Audiofire12) to the Duet (TS to RCA), because the A7's don't have 1/4" inputs (which IIRC is to prevent shorts).

Anyway though, I love the sound of these monitors. IME they benefited from breaking them in for a while.

Adam is one of the eligible brands for Musicians Friend's instant rebate sale, so if you buy a pair and, say a 12 pack of picks or a set of guitar strings (to put you over $1000), you can get them for $850 shipped. I actually got mine new even cheaper.

tell me more......I havnt heard of this...and Id be interrested to know how you got yours even cheaper than $850 shipped....

tell me more......I havnt heard of this...and Id be interrested to know how you got yours even cheaper than $850 shipped....
uh, well, go to musicians friend and the details are on their home page. adam audio is one of the eligible brands and the discount should show up when you checkout and pay.
as for mine, it was months ago during a dealer's special sales event and i was lucky.

ahhh...I actually added the monitors to my shopping cart, but there was no discount applied....the monitors alone are over $1000 so no need to purchase anything else...
so the discount should be applied after I go through everything?

Back