I need an a$$ kicking mix critique

interesting

When do the drums come in :P?
How do you get those sounds, out of curiosity? Did you record them? If so damn good job...I'm not good enough to tell if they're samples or not...

Not what I normally listen to but sounds good to my ears. I listened to the other tracks - those are some pretty diverse styles mate...

ben.

I listened to the other tracks - those are some pretty diverse styles mate

thats cause I mix and track just about everything :)

it was a live symphony/choir in a mini church cathedrial with a pair of rode nt2
and 2 other mics I can't remember off hand ahh i remember my akg 3000 and 2000b :)

I think I did 50 feet cable runs in that one and was in the balcony over all a huge ambient space fun recording to there are 11 tracks, but that was the one that was the shortest and had the most energy

ahh found the pressed cd this is what it is

gloria by antonio vivaldi

featuring the shoals chamber Orchestra and singers :)

Hey buddy,

Any chance you could get these uploaded to somewhere that plays back at a higher resolution?

MySpace turns beautiful recordings into junk to save file space and bandwidth on their end.

Try uploading them to lightningmp3.com or Sound Click.

I'm liking what I hear, but I'd rather have the real deal to offer some critique on :)

Cheers.

Not too bad.

The only nits I could come up with are that it could use some more depth/ambience as well as width. It sounds like it was in a pretty great space acoustically - big and open - but the recording isn't showing that fully. It's not up off the speakers. Also, it seems to be lacking in the low-mids.

There is only so much you can do with a live recording with a few room mics though. :)

Sounds pretty good to me. For as "big" as the sound is, there might still be some room to make it more wet. So you might add depth to the field by using a light stereo verb spread far left & right. I'd eq the bottom out of the 'verb to keep it light.

Something to think about anyway...

Sounds pretty good to me. For as "big" as the sound is, there might still be some room to make it more wet. So you might add depth to the field by using a light stereo verb spread far left & right. I'd eq the bottom out of the 'verb to keep it light.

Something to think about anyway...

Yeah, that's kinda what I was saying. I think he could do it with the natural ambience though. Right now, it sounds "big" but flat, if that makes sense.

yea if i could of hung a few choir mics that would of taken it up a notch i think

For sure. I still think there is still a fair amount of room for improvement with the tracks you have as well.

ok guys not enough to go on 4 mics 1 room I get it I'll try again

track pour me down on you this is a rough ep 5 songs 2 day from start to finnish but please feel free to critique my mix :)

Last edited:
Um.....ok.

By the way, in case anyone's wondering why I seemed to be a smart-ass here...at the time I posted the above, Doulous hadn't provided a link to the tune, so I didn't know what I was supposed to be listening to. I apologize, but I just wanted to explain the context of my post.:cool::):eek:

ok guys not enough to go 4 mics 1 room get it I'll try again

Hmmm, not sure what this means.

track pour me down on you this is a rough ep 5 songs 2 day from start to finnish but please feel free to critique my mix :)

First off, the vocals are fantastic! The only issue, is as the song picks up, they don't stay sitting the same way as the intro. The intro vocal is very well done all the way around. Great singing, and great production.

The rest of the mix is suffering from the same low-mid hole as the other track. Also, there is a lack of depth to this as well, and there is something odd with the OH's. It almost sounds like editing errors, the snare gets all funky in different ways throughout the song, and then other times is just right. Maybe multiple takes where something got bumped? Not sure, but it sounds kinda odd.

The bass is sorda odd sounding too, but that's more of an artistic thing. I'd like to hear it a bit rounder with some grit around 1100hz. Dirty it up a bit maybe. This may be a big part of the low mid hole. I just noticed too, that it has a weird resonance going on in some of the notes.

I gotta say again, the vocals sound so good, I think they are what makes the mix sound worse than it really is.

One other thing - is it just me, or is the flautist in that first clip about as annoying as anything?!?!?!? Very distracting. :eek:

that about nails it. The cymbols do sound odd I think it might be part of the mp3 codic and part of the quick extract track from cd maybe it was dirty dunno sounds like a hughe like 12 db hi shelf at around 12 k on up in the track quite annoying and was not part of the origional mix.

the annoying flutist is why i couldnt pan the track any wider imagine that in headphones with a wider spread might as well have someone scratching a chalk board in the oposite ear :D

this was a favor for a friend at a tdm mix studio and to be honest my first time using the genelic 1030s. I've grown to hate them they make everything sound great. You could fart in a behringer mic though a alesis 3630 compressor into a 16 bit adat and anyone who heard that off of those speakers would go oh my god that's the best sounding fart ive ever heard. It's not right really

Last edited:

Hey - you don't still have the session files do you? I thought I remember you saying something in another thread about putting some tracks up? I'd love a crack at mixing this.

edit - who is the vocalist/band?

nl5 i really wish i did, but the band wanted a copy already and it wasn't my studio so I didn't ask for a set. Well not really a band producer clay cook took this guy in for the ep as a favor to the guitarist of paparoch guys name is/was was cape williams crap he sold it like it was :eek:

he was suppost to shop the ep for a record deal thats why his vocals are so dry an upfront but he took it straight to cd baby

http://cdbaby.com/cd/capewilliams

live and learn i guess :rolleyes:

Last edited:
nl5 i really wish i did, but the band wanted a copy already and it wasn't my studio so I didn't ask for a set. Well not really a band producer clay cook took this guy in for the ep as a favor to the guitarist of paparoch guys name is/was was cape williams crap he sold it like it was :eek:

he was suppost to shop the ep for a record deal thats why his vocals are so dry an upfront but he took it straight to cd baby

http://cdbaby.com/cd/capewilliams

live and learn i guess :rolleyes:

Cool. Yeah, I found it. Did he have it re-mixed too? It sounds quite a bit different. If not, that's one hell of a mastering job.

basicly clay came in and produced all the tracks this guy had a guitar and a song clay played all the keys extra guitar parts we had a house drummer and clay even sung background vocals what you heard was the straight 2 track mixes off the board no doubt some mastering went on but he might of had the stuff remixed after all it was only a 2 day session for everything but its all he had budget for :)

here is stuff by clay cook i really like his stuff he knows how to make a great budget record

http://www.myspace.com/theclaycook

Back