I need a new nut!

twist

I need a new nut for a MIM Fender Strat with vibrato tailpiece.
I'm intrigued by the "roller nut" idea. Anyone know if these things are any good?

Twist

I have a Charvel strat copy with a roller nut and I love it. There is no binding of the string with you use the whammy bar, the strings rolls effortlessly and smoothly on the nut. It is a very simple and clever idea. A big thumbs up.

Thanks Tom, do you know the best way to remove the old nut? Are they glued? I have a "Sawzall" if necessary:eek:

Twist

To remove a nut:

Gather the needed tools...
1/4 wood chisel (or thin slotted flat screw driver)
small strip of fine grit emery cloth
toothbrush

Clean area completely.
apply a focused mist of steam (teapot) to the nut for 20-30 seconds. Do this by holding the nut (flip your guitar belly up) in the mist for the half a minute. Do not steam it long or you can jack up your finish.

hurry hurry.. lay the guitar on a table and gently ease the edge of the chisel under the nut. Wiggle it in SLOWLY.

If its going great then go all the way through. If it gets harder to lift the nut, re-steam and give it another go.

let it sit for a minute then swipe the emery cloth in the seat a few times to clear off the extra glue. Don't get crazy, you are just removing the glue, dont sand any wood off.

Toothbrush out any mild dust that remains.

Tada... ready for new.

second means to remove nut:

Try to lift a Chevy 350 alone.

I would go with a Graphtech nut instead. That in combination with Graphtech saddles will reduce spring breakage quite a bit.

I'll second TheGuitarMan, I have a "graphlon nut" which is a mixture of graphite impregnated with teflon. Sounds great, works great, cheap, what more can you ask for?

I used to hate those little "ting" type noises while tuning or using a whammy, then I discovered graphite, wow problem solved, and graphite is not a lot more expensive than plastic.

Back