I need a new Condenser

Headline

Hey guys, I have been recording lots of Vocals and Acoustic Guitars with a Steriling Audio ST55 and its been doing OK. But now I'm looking for a nice warm microphone that is great for Acoustic Guitar and Vocals aswell.

My price range is ~$300 dollars, but it is flexible. I have looked at the blue bird, and the baby bottle and both seem nice but I am still unsure. From personal experience, do you guys think I should wait until I can afford something better?

- Michael Flaherty

Hey guys, I have been recording lots of Vocals and Acoustic Guitars with a Steriling Audio ST55 and its been doing OK. But now I'm looking for a nice warm microphone that is great for Acoustic Guitar and Vocals aswell.

My price range is ~$300 dollars, but it is flexible. I have looked at the blue bird, and the baby bottle and both seem nice but I am still unsure. From personal experience, do you guys think I should wait until I can afford something better?

- Michael Flaherty
Seems like you have a really good mic already in that Sterling Audio. In this shootout it sounds pretty warm to me. If you're not getting similar results I'd look at other aspects of the environment and setup.

There are many good mics you can get for under $300.

Here's a Marshall MXL 990 sounding warm on acoustic guitar. Currently $79 with shockmount on special at Musician's Friend. You can hear it unprocessed as he's tuning then processed. Has to be one of the best bang/buck mics out there.

I'd stick with the ST-55, I own one and it is good for many applications. Just remember the more mics you have the more time you'll spend choosing what to use instead of making music. Then you can get into using two mics together, what combinations etc. I'm sure there are people out there who've made whole songs with a only a Shure sm57 because they become so familiar with their 1 mic. Anyways, I feel like a lot of folks want to skip the mic'ing/recording technique and believe a certain mic is going to make all the difference. I'm not implying you are walking down that line, but as for someone who has I wish I could have that time back to record more music :thumbs up: The choice is ultimately yours, if you want to get another condenser do it, you can always sell your old one.

Back