I Have to get an amp

Try one of these:

Fender_Hot_Rod_DeVille_212__09821.jpg

Hey, that looks just like my new 2/12 speaker cab!
:)

Ah, well since you've got a cab, get one of these and stop fucking around with Fenders.

marshall_1959slpx.jpg

Or, try a Hot Rod Deville.

I used a 100 watt Marshall for years. The louder you cranked it the better it sounded. I used to put a blanket over the speaker cab, turn it around backwards, and push it against the wall at gigs... To avoid hurting people with sheer volume. It's the only way I could turn it up loud enough in the small clubs we were playing. The drummer who played with me for years is almost deaf in his right ear and blames the Marshall to this day.
It was stolen from me several years ago

Hot Rod DeVille

^ Odd speaker configuration if the above is correct? 4 and 2 Ohms? Anyhoos, if they are indeed the rugged (British!) Celestions in there you should have no bother with another 60watt head.

Can I risk being called a spammer and suggest the Blackstar ID60? That is of course if the several benefits of solid sate appeal?

Dave.

If you can find one get a Vox Defiant or Conquerer. They're solid state but sounds freakin' amazing. On one channel you can play loud as fuck while keeping the clean sound, on the other you can get a real bitey british invasion sort of distortion.

They was made between '67 and roughly '73.

Maybe they're slightly above the sum mentioned but not too much if you find a cosmetically worn out unit without the cab. They've been used by The Beatles, The Rolling Stones and Spacemen 3. Criminally underrated amp.

If you can't find a Hod Rod Deluxe, the next best thing is probably a Mustang if you're not going to be hard on it. Light, loud, and the clean and semi-clean tones are fantastic. The Bassman model is amazing. I had one that I took back because the jog wheel was kind of iffy feeling, but others in the store were fine.

The Mustangs are awesome amps. We always bitch about tubes and tone and all kinds of things, but I sometimes try to imagine what a guy in the 50s or 60s would have thought if they saw and heard what we've got today. Light, loud, and versatile. They'd probably crap their pants and forget about tubes - SS gets a bad rap because of the long history it has chasing tone. Finally starting to get close IMO.

I picked up my fender mustang V head yesterday at guitar center.
I spent an hour playing a strat through the 2/12 mustang IV combo. Man that sucker sounds good! For a little while there I was like Tommy Chong in "cheech and chongs next movie" cranked way up and causing a disturbance.
Hey...how in the hell do you know what an amp will do at concert volume if you don't turn it up to concert volume when testing it?
It's an absolutely amazing amp IMO.
I've always had tube amps and never been able to get a decent overdrive sound at low volume. The amp does an amazing job of duplicating the clean sound of classic blackface fender amps.
There is no way in hell one could do any better for the price.

I picked up my fender mustang V head yesterday at guitar center.
I spent an hour playing a strat through the 2/12 mustang IV combo. Man that sucker sounds good! For a little while there I was like Tommy Chong in "cheech and chongs next movie" cranked way up and causing a disturbance.
Hey...how in the hell do you know what an amp will do at concert volume if you don't turn it up to concert volume when testing it?
It's an absolutely amazing amp IMO.
I've always had tube amps and never been able to get a decent overdrive sound at low volume. The amp does an amazing job of duplicating the clean sound of classic blackface fender amps.
There is no way in hell one could do any better for the price.

I aqctually read on the internet, so it must be true, that Line 6 and some actually focus on low volume tones because people in the store tend to play quietly and it sounds good, and they get home and its sometimes like cardboard vs wood, or maybe particle board and falls apart really badly tone wise.

Just get a Hot Rod Deville and don't worry about it.

Back