I Have to get an amp

jimistone

long standing member
The piece of shit fender hot rod deville that I had fixed....then fixed myself...has crapped out again. I'll be damned if I throw good money after bad on that dog.

I can't complain it was a good sounding amp and I gigged with it steady for several years.
Basically it's a 2/12 speaker cab now. I'm trying to decide on an amp now.

I played some through a peavey valveking tube amp today during lunch. I really liked it. A really nice clean tone (very important). And alot better overdrive that the deville.
Im not going to shell out much money on an amp...$400 tops.

I really am seriously thinking about getting a fender mustang V amp head and using the gutted out deville as a cab. $239.00 brand spanking new. It's time for me to enter the 21st century and quit messing with vacuum tubed dinosaurs that cost more and more to maintain and repair.

I think the mustang 150 watt digital modeling amp may be the ticket. Fender has made so many amps that I love I think they deserve another chance (even though the HRD is a HORRIBLE poorly thought out design.)

Do any of y'all have the fender mustang modeling amp?

For $400 I would recommend....a used Hot Rod Deville. I guess it depends on what type of music you play. I wouldn't use a Hot Rod Deville for punk or metal. But if you play classic rock or blues, it's a very good value IMO.

For $400 I would recommend....a used Hot Rod Deville. I guess it depends on what type of music you play. I wouldn't use a Hot Rod Deville for punk or metal. But if you play classic rock or blues, it's a very good value IMO.
Did you read my initial post?
I already have a used hot rod deville. They sound good when they work but unfortunate they break all the time.
It's junk

Look around for a used Rivera Clubster or Pubster. Blows all that low-end Fender shit all to hell.

You can thank me later.

I've got a Rivera Chubster 40....it's a serious 2-channel amp with nice tone options, thought they're a bit out of your price range.
The Clubster/Pubster stuff can be had for less.
Rivera makes good amps.

I loaned my Quiana 55/212 to a harp player buddy for a gig and now he wants one.

I've played a couple Mustangs, but haven't tried the software yet--a friend told me his is pretty versatile. I have a couple tube amps, but usually use my SS amps, especially since I got a J-Station a couple months back. $24.00 for a 6X4? not at my house.

I just called guitar center and put money down on the only mustang head they had in the house. I live 65 miles from the Jackson ms guitar center and 165 miles from the Memphis guitar center. If i fiddle farted around and the sold it i would either have too drive to Memphis (or farther) or pay shipping. None of the small music stores carry fender or Gibson stuff anymore.... Guess they are require to stock too much to qualify as a dealer I dunno.

I haven't even played through one yet but for $239 there isn't much else out there in the "brand new and under warranty" line.
Everything I have read on them is positive do I went ahead and rolled the dice on this one.

Get a Fender Hot Rod Deville they kick ass... I read a post somewhere that they might break down now and then but others highly recommend them.

(jus kiddin)
I was looking into the Mustang SS for the same reason, hassle-free, abuse ready, and cheap with effects, but they just didn't have the reviews at the time, not enough for me to buy. I was skeptical on build quality and road worthy-ness....

jimistone...really would appreciate a detailed review of this thing.... good or bad, drag it over the coals for 20 days or is it 15 days on electronics returns at GC?... I'll put this thread on "alert" so I don't miss it.

Get a Fender Hot Rod Deville they kick ass... I read a post somewhere that they might break down now and then but others highly recommend them.

(jus kiddin)
I was looking into the Mustang SS for the same reason, hassle-free, abuse ready, and cheap with effects, but they just didn't have the reviews at the time, not enough for me to buy. I was skeptical on build quality and road worthy-ness....

jimistone...really would appreciate a detailed review of this thing.... good or bad, drag it over the coals for 20 days or is it 15 days on electronics returns at GC?... I'll put this thread on "alert" so I don't miss it.

Will do.
There are some very favorable individual reviews on the fender forum. One guy that owns a few vintage fender amps got one and he said that the "fender twin" and "fender deluxe reverb" models are amazing and that the amp is worth the price for those models alone.
Thats a big deal for me...clean. I can choose from thousands of pedals to get distortion and overdrive but it's hard to fix a sucky clean sound.

Being in the grocery business it's probably going to be after the holidays before I really get to spend alit of time with it. When the dust clears so to speak

Try one of these:

Fender_Hot_Rod_DeVille_212__09821.jpg

I have gutted the HRDv amp.
A big pile of circuit boards, transformers, tubes, and the Amps reverb unit....oh and a set of groove tubes that are still good.
Anyone want it?

Back