I have a new found respect for guitar players

Tuning a classical guitar is a pain because the strings will stretch for a long time if it is a new guitar or has new strings. An electronic tuner is the best way to learn to tune and is best for a band situation since you are isolated from outside noises.....drummers, crowd noise, etc.
And the comment of being bad before you can get good is right on the money too, you gotta play a lot of bad notes to figure which ones are the Right Ones!

Anfontan said:
Tuning a classical guitar is a pain because the strings will stretch for a long time if it is a new guitar or has new strings. An electronic tuner is the best way to learn to tune and is best for a band situation since you are isolated from outside noises.....drummers, crowd noise, etc.
And the comment of being bad before you can get good is right on the money too, you gotta play a lot of bad notes to figure which ones are the Right Ones!
i just broke my first string this sucks i tried the method of only tuning up and never down and it broke on me :(

X man Da Legend said:
i just broke my first string this sucks i tried the method of only tuning up and never down and it broke on me :(

You do know that if tune too high, you can tune down again and start over, right? :D

X man Da Legend said:

If you broke a string while tuning, you went past the pitch.

X man Da Legend said:

Strings break, man...that's just the way it goes. Just don't give up.

I would agree that starting on a classical guitar is probably one of the more difficult ways to go about it, but hey...you're giving it a shot, and that says a lot.

Plus, learning to play just gives you that much more knowledge of things to add to your tracks. Even if you don't play them, it will give you a great idea of what to look for in samples or even session musicians.

I totally applaud you for even giving it a go.

Rock on.

Violent5 said:
Tuning a guitar also takes practice. I suggest you also learn to tune without a tuner. A tuner is a fantastic tool but total dependence on one would suck.
Violent5
yes...
you will be proud of yourself if u can tune a horribly tuned guitar without a tuner...
just know the pitch of a low E and thats all u need to tune it all (unless you are tone deaf, or using an alternate tuning)
the ladys love it... hehehe

hiwatt357 said:
I would agree that starting on a classical guitar is probably one of the more difficult ways to go about it, but hey...you're giving it a shot, and that says a lot.

My first year of playing was on a cheap classical, and I agree that it takes longer to get results from than a regular acoustic, or electric. However, I was forced to work at it, and it pays off.

Finger-picking improves, melody playing as opposed to strumming chords...nylon strings seem to facilitate this.

One more important note regarding tuning, if the string is sharp, then allways downtune it a step below so that you always tune up. Basically, make sure that you are allways tuning into a note from a flat and not a sharp position - otherwise it will just go out of tune again. Also, I started on an accoustic and I hated it. I only improved when I got an electric and now I shred like crazy. Electrics are a lot easier - thinner strings, slimmer faster neck, lower action (distance from the string to the fretboard) and the sound is more versatile (unless you want the specific tone from an accoustic). My 2 cents...

Back