I feel like I'm actually learning something...

The reason I ask is that my pair of Sony MDR-7506's are notably bass-shy and treble-happy. Since I haven't yet acquired a sub woofer, my Event ASP8's probably aren't telling me the whole story, so to speak. In addition, my room doesn't have any bass trapping, which I believe might also contribute. What's more, only the top four tracks on my page were made during this year (in fact, those four were made during the last week). The rest of my tracks were created 2+ years ago, in a different time, place, and state of mind. I'm ramping up to a new level in my ambition. I will be working towards obtaining a physical piano, now that I'm in my new home, and I'll be hiring a teacher. Perhaps, then I might be able to knock out the tunes you want to hear.

I fancy myself technical, yes. I've assisted in the studio with a Grammy award-winning mixing engineer, at his request. I'm not kidding myself on the musical talent aspect. What I make is not orthodox. So, it's all good if the composition is not all that. I'm laid back. I follow my bliss, and I track that riff that other people throw away. I know how talent works; sometimes it's just accidental. I've previously put mixing before composition. You have reversed that about me. Thank you. I will continue my unorthodoxy, though.

If I'm having trouble with my mixing, I welcome the help, as this is the "MP3 Mixing Clinic". Comments about my composition are encouraged as well, but I, as an artist of my own christening, reserve the right to stand by my style -- boring, repetitive, shy-of-low-frequency-instrumentation, or otherwise. Hip Hop is a culture, not a music. Furthermore, I want to shake off "genre", as it is a shroud for most musicians.

Early in my composition/mixing journey (look at my join date, and subtract some years), my mixes were so bass heavy that I trembled at the thought of taking them to the car. Now my mixes are too bright in places, and weak in some of the low frequencies. I'm learning, which is why I started this thread, hence the title. It's also not as if I track and mix my own personal muses at Electric Lady Land or Abbey Road.

My preference, however, is to rack up friends, skills, mentors, peers, and apprentices... If you look at my track record here, you will see that. I really appreciate your apology, and it means a lot coming from someone so communicative, and I'd love to do all I can to be a good peer to you. Unfortunately, though, I feel burned by your posts, and I'm having trouble reconciling your previous opinion to that of late. Therefore, you are a peer to me, not a mentor.

To be frank, I feel that you have been somewhat of a compositional snob. Were I following in the footsteps of your genre, or you following mine, perhaps we might see more eye to eye, and then you can hear what you want to hear.

Your objectivity is priceless, and there are snobs all kinds. I want to be galvanized here, rather than elsewhere. So, please just say what you want and get it out. Just don't expect me to listen.

Thank you all for your time... It's always real, even on the Internet.
Well said. That said, never never mix in headphones, man. :) A reference listen, sure, but don't place your soundfield in there... But you knew that, didn't you... :)

P.S. I favor Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pros. As acoustically flat as I've ever encountered, even at 3x the price. big, tight bottom; linear, transparent top; organic mids...

Well said. That said, never never mix in headphones, man. :) A reference listen, sure, but don't place your soundfield in there... But you knew that, didn't you... :)

P.S. I favor Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pros. As acoustically flat as I've ever encountered, even at 3x the price. big, tight bottom; linear, transparent top; organic mids...

Thanks!

Ah, yes... Those Beys are nice big phones... My local buddy swears by 'em..

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr04/articles/event.htm

You're right the headphone mixing thing, of course. I mix with my Event ASP8 near-fields, and check with my car, Sony MDR-7506's, Sony MDR-V150's, laptop, and my ancient but trusty Midilan computer 2.1 speakers.

I'm not qualified to be anybody's mentor.

Please listen to the track on my Soundclick called "You Know", and tell me what you think...

????? It's a mixing/mastering clinic....but composition is also discussed a lot.

I don't know a lot about technical recording stuff. Composition and arranging are more my bag. I wuz tossin' you ideas. Sorry y' got miffed. My bad.

I'm not qualified to be anybody's mentor.

Please listen to the track on my Soundclick called "You Know", and tell me what you think...

????? It's a mixing/mastering clinic....but composition is also discussed a lot.

I don't know a lot about technical recording stuff. Composition and arranging are more my bag. I wuz tossin' you ideas. Sorry y' got miffed. My bad.

I just had to level with you... It's all good, man...

The reason I ask is that my pair of Sony MDR-7506's are notably bass-shy and treble-happy. Since I haven't yet acquired a sub woofer, my Event ASP8's probably aren't telling me the whole story, so to speak. In addition, my room doesn't have any bass trapping, which I believe might also contribute. What's more, only the top four tracks on my page were made during this year (in fact, those four were made during the last week). The rest of my tracks were created 2+ years ago, in a different time, place, and state of mind. I'm ramping up to a new level in my ambition. I will be working towards obtaining a physical piano, now that I'm in my new home, and I'll be hiring a teacher. Perhaps, then I might be able to knock out the tunes you want to hear.

I fancy myself technical, yes. I've assisted in the studio with a Grammy award-winning mixing engineer, at his request. I'm not kidding myself on the musical talent aspect. What I make is not orthodox. So, it's all good if the composition is not all that. I'm laid back. I follow my bliss, and I track that riff that other people throw away. I know how talent works; sometimes it's just accidental. I've previously put mixing before composition. You have reversed that about me. Thank you. I will continue my unorthodoxy, though.

If I'm having trouble with my mixing, I welcome the help, as this is the "MP3 Mixing Clinic". Comments about my composition are encouraged as well, but I, as an artist of my own christening, reserve the right to stand by my style -- boring, repetitive, shy-of-low-frequency-instrumentation, or otherwise. Hip Hop is a culture, not a music. Furthermore, I want to shake off "genre", as it is a shroud for most musicians.

Early in my composition/mixing journey (look at my join date, and subtract some years), my mixes were so bass heavy that I trembled at the thought of taking them to the car. Now my mixes are too bright in places, and weak in some of the low frequencies. I'm learning, which is why I started this thread, hence the title. It's also not as if I track and mix my own personal muses at Electric Lady Land or Abbey Road.

My preference, however, is to rack up friends, skills, mentors, peers, and apprentices... If you look at my track record here, you will see that. I really appreciate your apology, and it means a lot coming from someone so communicative, and I'd love to do all I can to be a good peer to you. Unfortunately, though, I feel burned by your posts, and I'm having trouble reconciling your previous opinion to that of late. Therefore, you are a peer to me, not a mentor.

To be frank, I feel that you have been somewhat of a compositional snob. Were I following in the footsteps of your genre, or you following mine, perhaps we might see more eye to eye, and then you can hear what you want to hear.

Your objectivity is priceless, and there are snobs all kinds. I want to be galvanized here, rather than elsewhere. So, please just say what you want and get it out. Just don't expect me to listen.

Thank you all for your time... It's always real, even on the Internet.

Lol. Calm down man. If you just want a bunch of atta boys, just say so.

Reason being, a lot of "hip hop", as it were, has little or no melody, and some even lack a bassline. In many cases the vocalist, rapper or otherwise, is charged with that task.

I agree wholeheartedly and I like your track. I guess I'm just wondering if you intend to have someone rap over this, or if it is meant as a stand-alone instrumental. If the later, I just think it could use a few more elements to retain interest. If the former...bring it on! I'd love to hear this with a melody over it. But still, very cool as is :).

I agree wholeheartedly and I like your track. I guess I'm just wondering if you intend to have someone rap over this, or if it is meant as a stand-alone instrumental. If the later, I just think it could use a few more elements to retain interest. If the former...bring it on! I'd love to hear this with a melody over it. But still, very cool as is :).

At this point, I'm sure that it would need someone rapping to be at all commercial. Thanks for the feedback! If you know anyone that can use the track, let me know. I'm not asking any fees right now for existing tracks, only custom tracks. There are some simple stipulations, though.

Anyway, in other news: A producer contacted me and has selected two tracks for placement on a rapper's album. He and the artist settled on the following two tracks, which I originally made in late '05, early '06:

Hyuce
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=474491&songID=3504948

Getting Free (Version 1)
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=474491&songID=3545823

I felt like they lacked polish, in both their arrangement and mix. I spruced them up some, I think. And while I understand that they are repetitive, the producer/artist team is okay with that. I just wonder if you guys feel that my polishing improved the track or screwed it up, and where.

Here are the revised editions:

Hyuce (Version 2)
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=474491&songID=8286000

Gettin' Free (Version 4)
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=474491&songID=8285999

Both tracks have bass lines in the sub range, which seem to go unrepresented by Soundclick. Any ideas on how to compensate mix-wise would be great.

Thanks,
Joshua

Back