I Feel Alright

Listened on HD280 Pro headphones. I'd say it sounded really good. The tones and balances were good. If I had any concern, it might be about the groove. I'm not sure if it's just how it's played (and therefore a completely appropriate artistic choice) or if there's something technical that's nudging the timing just slightly off. I could totally be overthinking it, but have you checked to see how close a newly recorded track aligns to the existing track? That's assuming it's a digital recording, of course.

I dunno man, sounds pretty groovy to me. That is, things are in time as far as I can tell. Sennheiser HD280's hey...I have them too and they are a real eye opener when you throw mixes on them. If I can get a good mix on HD280's I've worked miracles. More often than not, my mixes sound like true garbage on those cans. To me they are always really honky in the middle and ill defined everywhere else. To each his own, but to me they are real hard to work with.

All I can think of with your groove comment is that the bass may be trampling on the beat a tad making things messed up. The bass guitar I mean...not great at mixing the bass right. The intro guitar lick gets a little rattled just before the first verse and that might have thrown your listening timing a tad too. But that wasn't the playing...it's just how it interacted with the bass and drums.

Thanks for listening (y)

Last edited:
Everything sounded pretty nice to me. If anything, the low end sounded a little flubby ... a little ill-defined. But it wasn't too bad.

Performances sound pretty good all around. The only other thing that bugged me a little bit was the incessant guitar soloing going on throughout almost the whole song. That got a little old to me.

Other than that, though, like I said ... sounds nice!

Thanks guys, yeah, beagle, I can see how the licks could get a little much.

(y)
I thought it was pretty well done.....with just a couple nit picks. The bass is too muddy for sure. It needs a little more "growl" to fill out the character of it. The guitar licks are fine to me. It sort of reminds me of that Johnny Rivers song "Secret Agent Man". I know...that's really reaching back but it's a song that stuck with me for the flavor of the guitar sound. I think the hard left panning of that guitar is a little much though. Nothing on the right offsets it until the organ really comes in. Nice tempo and hook.

2 cents worth of......just my opinion.

Mick

You mean the guitar solo, the noodling licks or both, Panpate?

Mickster...yeah I agree the bass is ill defined, unfortunately.

Really good sounding mix and great song. Its sounds really balanced to me. I can hear that the bass is not "perfectly" defined, but to me its sounds suits the mix. The mix has a classc vibe to it. I wonder what gear you used to record it and if there was a lot of processing during the mix phase.

Great one, sounds awesome to me!

Thanks Molena yeah the bass in and of itself is ill defined which is annoying. I'm still working on the holy grails of great bass tracking and great acoustic guitar tracking. I don't find it easy for either. The bass, electric guitar and all vocals were recorded through a UA LA610mkii. I used a Daking Fet 3 on the 2bus to compress by about 2db or so and to raise overall level. There wasn't much processing on tracks really...except for compression, eq and reverb.

Thanks a lot for listening. I sure appreciate it.

(y)

Thanks Molena yeah the bass in and of itself is ill defined which is annoying. I'm still working on the holy grails of great bass tracking and great acoustic guitar tracking. I don't find it easy for either. The bass, electric guitar and all vocals were recorded through a UA LA610mkii. I used a Daking Fet 3 on the 2bus to compress by about 2db or so and to raise overall level. There wasn't much processing on tracks really...except for compression, eq and reverb.

Thanks a lot for listening. I sure appreciate it.

(y)
Nice to hear that you used some outboard gear. You used it nicely because I guess I could hear some compression, but not like, too much, so its subtle. I dont think the bass sounds as bad as you said! To me its fine!

Thanks Fritz, you're right on...very small room...a spare bedroom, treated with bass traps and reflectors. It's the mixing room/ home studio really.

The vocals have a plate reverb on them and compression and I pass them through a delay too which is mixed in pretty light.

You mean the guitar solo, the noodling licks or both, Panpate?

Mickster...yeah I agree the bass is ill defined, unfortunately.
Yeah they are a bit loud - but if you distorted them a bit that would help. It's an interesting mix - it might benefit from bringing the rhythm up louder too.

No worries...I lowered them a bit right after I read your first post a few days ago. So, they are less prominent now.

Back