I can never get a BASSY sounding bass on THE DROP

mykeflies

Hey! Whenever I make a new track, the bass is never BASSY/PUMPING enough. It's like it has no power. I tried lots of techniques including layering but I can never get it to sound like it's actually a DROP.

This is keeping me stuck for years. I need help. Please.

Here is what the DROP currently sounds like. It's weak and it lacks bass power... no matter what samples I choose it's like I can never get a good sounding bass. It's really frustrating!

First thing - I have no idea what a drop is - not a term I've ever heard linked to bass, and I've been a bass player for years. That A as a bit well, feeble. Sound wise - what are you using for that bass note? It's just weak and has no body. Out of the mass of synth and real bass sounds available that's a pretty poor one. What happens if you double it an octave down? Are your monitors colouring it so you are making decisions on what it doesn't sound like, rather than what it does? Then I moved to the studio and there is another bass fundamental under the one I could hear on the other system.
Is it two merged bass sounds? Very indistinct. I'd just find some better sounds all round, to be honest. That piano is also masking much of what's going on.

Tell us what the bass end actually is?

I have no idea what a drop is
WTF is a drop..
According to my dodgy pal Wicky P. Dear, 🥸 "A drop or beat drop in music, made popular by electronic dance music (EDM) styles, is a point in a music track where a sudden change of rhythm or bass line occurs, which is preceded by a build-up section and break. [1] Originating from disco and 1970s rock, drops are found in genres such as EDM, trap, hip-hop, K-pop and country"

Hey! Whenever I make a new track, the bass is never BASSY/PUMPING enough. It's like it has no power....no matter what samples I choose it's like I can never get a good sounding bass. It's really frustrating!
It might be an idea, if you know someone that plays one, to try an actual bass guitar played by a bassist. Pumping on a bass guitar isn't difficult.

Put a compressor on the bass track, sidechain it to the kick track, fastish attack and release. Push the threshold until you get around -10db of compression to hear what it sounds like then adjust to taste. PUMPING bass.

Last edited:
Hey! Whenever I make a new track, the bass is never BASSY/PUMPING enough. It's like it has no power. I tried lots of techniques including layering but I can never get it to sound like it's actually a DROP.

This is keeping me stuck for years. I need help. Please.

Here is what the DROP currently sounds like. It's weak and it lacks bass power... no matter what samples I choose it's like I can never get a good sounding bass. It's really frustrating!

Incidentally, thats not a drop. This is a drop (ready in 16,15,14...):

View attachment Adrenaline Drop.mp3

What you posted is more like an outro. Put up the whole track or drop section for us to hear and comment on.

Watch this:

It's Disclosure producing a song. It's long and it's not a tutorial but you may find it interesting and useful.

Last edited:
Back