[i][b]EXTREMLY IMPORTANT INFORMATION[/I][/B]

Light

Has your guitar become buzzy and lifeless lately? Do you find that your lovely guitar is sounding like a sitar? Or is it even that clean? Are you starting to notice that your top is shrinking a bit? Can you make a salad in the dip on your guitar top?

Well my friends, it is heating season, and once again, it is time to start humidifying your guitars.

What's that you say, you didn't know you had to humidify guitars?!?!?

Well, read THIS THREAD. You will be glad you did.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Would keeping my guitars in my basement help? because obviously thered be more humidity in the basement, but is that enough, or atleast better?

I don't play acoustic nearly as much as electric (and ironically, my acoustic guitars are of higher quality), so I just keep the humidifiers in the soundholes 24/7.

ibanezrocks said:
Would keeping my guitars in my basement help? because obviously thered be more humidity in the basement, but is that enough, or atleast better?

Not if your basement is heated. And if your basement is not heated, you need to worry about weather checking.

The problem is that cold air can hold less moisture, so that when the air is heated, the dew point (humidity) crashes, because there is the same amount of water (less any precipitation on the heating element) in air which can take quite a bit more moisture.

If you use a good humidifier, such as a Lifeguard, and an additional in case humidifier, you will be fine, as long as you keep your guitars IN THE CASE when you are not playing. This matters, a lot.

Electrics are, of course, less susceptible to humidity related issues, so there is less concern. However, the fingerboards WILL shrink on electrics. This leads to fret ends sticking out, which makes your neck feel a lot like a serrated bread knife. Not a good thing, if you ask me.

Keep electrics in their cases with TWO case humidifiers. This works better with a hard shell case, but a good gig bag will benefit from this too.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Hey Light,
Thanks for the tip on that Lifeguard. I was looking at some more expensive humidifiers and just didn't want to spend the money, but for $15 I feel better about it. Will this work in a gig bag?

I think I might recall that thread from last year, nevertheless... I'd forgotten to break out the ol' humidifier.

Thanx for the reminder.

Back