I am gonna need everyone's help on this one...now stop reading this and get in here!!

WinstonCowboy

Okay, this is a noise/feedback issue that must be resolved. This shit has got me depressed as fuck!!! When you start associating negative thoughts to the one thing you truly love (music) it is a sad sad state of affairs.

First things first, I recently got some gear:

M-Audio Duo
M-Audio SP-5B's
P4 Laptop XP Pro
Sonar v.2.2

And everything had been going rather smoothly the last 3 days. (BTW...I have Mogami Gold Series Studio TRS cables running from the Duo to the SP's) I've been mainly listening to mp3's with foobar2000...while awaiting the arrival of some mics to record with.

Anyway, about an hour ago...I was listening to a song and all the sudden this horrible surge of fuzz or static came blaring out of the speakers. It about made my damn heart stop! It only lasted about a sec....but then about a minute later...it happened again, but this time it lasted 5-6 seconds or how ever long it took me to hit the stop button. I closed up foobar and opened winamp...I started playing another mp3...and everything seemed to of chilled out...it made it through a couple songs...then all of the sudden I got that same rush of static. I mean this is not a pleasant experience...The noise is like twice as loud as the music that is playing. And when it happens the music completely cuts out and all you hear is this deafening feedback. It kinda reminds me of TV fuzz, only feed through a goddamn Marshall Stack! (CRUNCH) I can't even listen to a song and enjoy it - without being on edge. I figure if it happened before, then it will happen again.

I need to know what you guys think about this. This is not some petty snap, crackle, popping issue! I need to know what is causing this and what I can do in the future to prevent it?!

Lastly, I turned my monitors back on about mid-way through this and they seem to be working okay. The weather is kind of nasty at the moment...could this have anything to do with it?

Please help if you can!

WINSTON

Do you really think the USB connection had something to do with it?

The only thing I can think of that was different from the time it was working flawlessly til it started acting up...was the Duo had been running for about 2 days straight. I am not sure if these things can overheat or not....but since my last post...I have been turning it off every night...and it has worked without error ever since! Could this have been a possible cause? I was leaving the Duo turned on because dumb ass windows reinstalled the USB everytime I turned it off and then back on again. Like:

USB Audiosport Duo
USB Audiosport Duo (2)

WINSTON

I could give you long analytical explanation of signal loop and explain in detail why you witness this phenomena. But you need concrete answer and the same is get the M systems to desktop !!!

Or forget this USB M Music team.

To many users and stories, you just can’t do some things on PC notebooks and expect bliss.

There is a way to isolate and synchronize loop, but this is dangerous for Notebook.

Transfer this to desktop, fastest solution.

I disagree, I have a duo and have never experience this.

What is the sample setting on the duo? Sometimes, you can get noise like this if the program is requesting a sample rate change.

The odd thing is that its happening in the middle of songs???

This sounds like a job for m-audio tech... who will blame something else as fast as you can tell them your problem. It shouldn't be overheating... so... get in touch with them, and make sure they know that you've tried it on several computers, with many different audio applications, etc... otherwise, they'll just tell you to do those things and the tech/RMA process will go on forever.

cheers,

Rich
www.radiumreactor.com

Good point after all jazzrich9,

I’m short with time for extensive reply, but this reminded me when I was at Emu and they showed me something they call : Walking Wounded Board.

You could have board that is damaged but to some extent operational.

I’m not familiar with your board architecture inside this M system, but usually one or two DSP chips are responsible for main audio application engine.

From experience, those who make the sam are most of the time too certain in waving to other side for blame, until they grasp they might be the ones from the start.

Get you custom support and deal with this.

jazzrich9 said:
I disagree, I have a duo and have never experience this.

What is the sample setting on the duo? Sometimes, you can get noise like this if the program is requesting a sample rate change.

I don't think this has anything to do with it because I have been playing the same mp3's the whole time.

When you turn off your Duo...does windows reinstall the USB drivers when you turn it back on...that is kind of annoying and I'm not sure why it's doing it?!

Also...do you ever get little pops or clicks in between mp3's?

And...do you have any tips or tweaks for using a USB soundcard? Better Performance? Less CPU Usage?

WINSTON

Hey...what about a power surge...could this be the cause of this...cus like I described...it was like a sudden swell of volume and static energy that came through the monitors. I have everything plugged up to a cheapo looking surge protector that I found in one of my closets...but this thing might just be a power strip for all I know. I need to check it out and see.

What is a good, rock solid surge protector I can hook everything up to? Any specific specs I should look for when buying one?

WINSTON

Last edited:
Back