Humming issue with my BR-1200

ChadRylan

Hi guys, this is my first post here and I am very new to the recording world. The issue I'm having with my BR-1200 is a humming noise when I plug my guitar and the cosm effects are far from optimal. When I touch my strings on my guitar, a brand new Gibson Studio, or any other guitar for that matter, the noise gets better, but not totally. I know it's a ground issue. I took it to Long and Maquades to test it, and they found nothing wrong with it, but I don't think they plugged anything into it. I had my BR-800 plugged in and it worked perfect, and sounded very good. I even tried to plug it into the wall at work with just the headphones on and my guitar only, the same issue. So I know its not a house grounding issue, or looping issue. The one thing that I did notice is my plug in adaptor isnt the original one, but it is the equivelant because it has the same serial numbers that Roland requires for a replacement, and it too is a roland. I'm wondering if it's that?? Mabe somebody give me an old one in place of the original one because it does look like it has alot more wear than the machine does. The machine is in new condition cosmeticly. OR mabe someone sold it because they knew something was wrong with it, changed the adaptor and it still wasnt fixed?? It seems only to do it using the guitar, as soon as I plug it in. Some effects are somewhat ok if their clean, but mainly if you start using destortion it gets really bad, enough to slightly get shocked, not much though, when you touch the strings. Either way, it's making me very unhappy. I just bought it on ebay for $450 shipped to my door. I did raise a dispute. Could my COSM effects be screwed? The drums, ect. sound perfect. How would I check the plug in without spending another $40 on the darn thing? Oh yeah, the little screw on the back of the unit that looks like a ground screw, when I touch it the humming becomes better, but the sound dont. Sorry for rambling, I just wanted to give you as much info as possible. HELP ME QUICK PLEASE!!!!!!!!

If you are getting a shock - even small - from a device, stop using it! Something is wrong internally in that machine. You can bet the seller knew it, too.

Thanx

I knew he knew it, thats why we are going through a dispute through ebay. Do you think its worth buying another power cabel? I used it again tonite to try to figure out the problem, but I was stopped at using the headphones, it shouldn't do this. I don't really think it's shocking me much at all, it's a sinsation if you know what I mean, but at high destortion settings it humms very bad, at a clean setting it's much, much better. Actually when I go in and edit a destortion, when I take the innitial destortion off, the sound becomes much cleaner and the humm becomes much less, but I lose the destortion. Everything else is great!!! I don't know, but it's frusterating. Do you think it mabe a bad ground solder in my cosm effects? Do you know how much it costs to replace the cosm effects??? Like I said, I don't know nothing about these, except to use them, somewhat. lol Thank you, Chad.

Boss charges $75 just to look at a device when you send it in for evaluation. It's not the power cord, because a fault in that wouldn't get transmitted into the guitar input.
It may be a minor shock now, but could get worse.

If you'd asked before buying, I would have recommended using your cash for a good audio interface and computer recording (said from someone whose Boss BR600 now gathers dust!)

Read the stickyed threads at the top of the 'newbies' section regarding computer recording, there are tons of options.

Back