HS2004 crashes

Paul881

Look Mom, I can play!
This has been happening for a few months now. I have a large collection of VSTi/DXi synths. I notice when I load up a particularly large sample/loop from the library, HS 2004 crashes and I get the dreaded Microsoft Send/Don't send error message. Instinctively, I feel it is a virtual memory problem. Smaller samples load and play fine.

Anyone got any suggestions how I can fix this?

1024Meg RAm, 2.8Gig intel P4 machine, Win XP, fully current with updates.

I might just have to upgrade Sonar of course :rolleyes: ;) :D :cool:

Do the DXi's/VSTi's have a stream from disc option (or something along those lines). It does sound like a memory prob.

Can I assume you meant 1 gb of ram, not 1 mb? Otherwise, you might need to be running DOS. :D

dachay2tnr said:
Thanks. For some reason, which I can't figure out now, I first read it as 1 meg, not 1024.

I put it down to spending too much time in Arizona bars instead of working ;)

:p

:D

Is it just one particular sample or just large samples in general?

Does the error occur after a fresh boot or only after loading and reloading of samples?

Do you have a system utility that can check your memory or hard drive?

Are you loading the sample directly into Sonar or into a synth?

Assuming the sample is a .wav file have you tried loading it into a new blank project and playing it on it's own to establish whether the file is corrupt?

Perhaps take a gander at the file outside of HS and check the properties or see if it has the proper file extension/ample rate.It may just be a mismatch of some sort.

I can crash Sonar at will if I load and reload samples or synths too many times without a reboot,this could be the case for you.

acidrock said:
Is it just one particular sample or just large samples in general?

Does the error occur after a fresh boot or only after loading and reloading of samples?

Do you have a system utility that can check your memory or hard drive?

Are you loading the sample directly into Sonar or into a synth?

Assuming the sample is a .wav file have you tried loading it into a new blank project and playing it on it's own to establish whether the file is corrupt?

Perhaps take a gander at the file outside of HS and check the properties or see if it has the proper file extension/ample rate.It may just be a mismatch of some sort.

I can crash Sonar at will if I load and reload samples or synths too many times without a reboot,this could be the case for you.

AR, you have hit the nail on the head. Fresh HS2004 boot, no problem, plays the sample. Reload the sample/change to another big sample - it crashes.
Unfortunately, they are not wav. files, they are NI library files so I can't test them anywhere else.

Any idea why this occurs or what can be done to stop it. What version of Sonar do you use? Will an upgrade to S5 solve it?

Please note it doesn't crash Win XP only HS2004 ;)

Have you installed the latest NI software updates?

From my simplistic know nothing view,it seems that when NI loads things into memory they don't get flushed out when something new gets loaded,hence the need to reboot. :confused:

At least that's been my experience with Kompakt.I can load samples and change them,but after a certain amount it just raises the white flag and crashes. :eek:

I think this is a NI problem,not Cakewalk.
I can load synths all day and not crash Sonar,not so the case with Kompakt.

acidrock said:
I think this is a NI problem,not Cakewalk.
I can load synths all day and not crash Sonar, not so the case with Kompakt.

Thats interesting since you stated that because NI are the only synths that crash my HS2004 too :mad: Kontakt, Beats Working in Cuba and Afrolatin slam. None of my Spectrasonic (Trilogy, Atmosphere or Stylus RMX) synths cause it. Nor any of my other synths (Absynth, Cameleon, Darbuka, Latigo etc)

I also have several NI synth instruments but all those are okay - it seems only NI loop based synths cause the problem.

Hmmm....... :confused: :mad:

Ignoring my ram comment above, did you look to see if there is stream from disc option. Kompakt has such a feature that you can toggle on and off.

acidrock said:
There should be a memory usage properties box in Kontakt if It's like Kompakt.Try adjusting that.

Nope, these are Romplers based on Kontakt but not quite the same and I can't see anything like a memory usage box or anything that comes close.

Hmmm.....looks like I will have to contact NI/Zero G :(

Dachay/AR, thanks for your help and suggestions, I appreciate it. :)

Back