HRC4 Revisited/ Crawdad and SluiCe

Superclean... nice bkwd gtr... I love where you've mixed his leads, Al... very nice....

The tiny little rhythm gtr there (wah) is beautiful... very intricate mix... shows you know what the hell you're doing.

Interesting that the guit. tone is mostly that smooth mid-range honey, without the need for the high-end icing... fits in just like a layer in a cake... without having to sit on top...

Tom's phrasing gives this something Al probably wouldn't have done... so that's why the collab worked, here.... these were the notes that Tom heard against everything else... which is just beautiful Al, BTW... so... your argument that Al could have done the gtr doesn't work Gagne-w/a-spoon ;)

Great BGV's!! Now... that ruled.

C

Attachments

• gushers.gif
    gushers.gif
    17.6 KB · Views: 181
Talent heaped on top of multiple layers of other real talent.

Great tune! I loved the guitar work. First rate playing in style, feel and tone. I wish I could could play half as good!

I am on headphones right now so I can't offer any real serious comments on the mix but everything sounded about right to me level and mix wise.

Soulful stuff, indeed.

Cheers! :)

Hey, Crawdad, thanks for linking to this one again - I went looking for it a couple of days ago, but Sluice had pulled it from his Nowhere page.

This is really, really interesting to me, and of course I'm gonna tell you why LOL.

I know the stuff that you do, and I know the stuff that Sluice does. And this sounds like neither. You've synergized. Socio-political-religious lyrical theme? R n B stylings? Killer inspired guitar wailing? Vocals that make you sound like you've never done a gentle C and W tune in your life? Fuck, this is awesome. It isn't just that the tune's so good, it's that the tune is so different from what each of you usually does. It's brought out different tricks in both of you. Just excellent. Just really, really sweet.

I'm glad now my collab fell apart. I know my place LOL.

Well...it's still a great song and I'm still gonna learn it.

Background vocals are great.....the drums have a kinda funny thing going.......very white sounding next to the funky bass.......I especially like the unison section with the guitar and the bass playing together......nice git-picking Tom.......I'm not sure I like it better than the first one though.......I don't like the first one better either.....I kinda like them equally to tell you the truth.......
Wonderful lyrics as always .....I'm assuming they're from AL?
Awesome song guys.........we neeeeed to be a band. :D

Participant--Yeah, ol' Gagne found some unique phrases for sure! Those BGV's he added just threw me out of my chair when I heard them--awesome! This is his mix by the way, not mine. And, just to prove to you that I ain't no slouch on guitar (sometimes), I may post a different version of this in the future, just for fun on some rainy day. :D

Dobro--That was our goal--do something unlike any of our normal styles. We thought R&B would be a cool direction so we went there. It was real fun for me. Thats the beauty of these collabs--you can get things that you'd never do alone--little doors open up to new things.

The Ghost of FM--Thanks for the listen! Hope you get to crank it on some monitors sometimes. My problem with phones is that the center stuff seems quieter and the panned stuff seems louder, but its all different on speakers. SluiCe makes me want to buy a Marshall!

Lt. Bob--Yeah, we should do a band! If you ever put this song together with your group, post a recording. I'd love to hear it. You could sing the hell out of this! Yeah, those are my lyrics. All the lead guitar is Tom. I did the rhythm and the wah wah thing. My 'white' drum programming too!:D

Great stuff guys! Just wicked all the way around! One thing (and it's strictly a matter of taste here)... I would dig the drums more if they worked some of the stop-beat stuff going on with the rest of the tune.. sorta along the lines of Steely Dan. But I'm just a schlepp, so don't listen to me. Great collab. Still funking out here:D

cool, you got it!

Things I did this time:
Added some vocal harmonies, including a doubled low octave to the one Al already had.
Re-tracked the rhythm guitars. As Al said, they took too much space.
Re-tracked 99% of the lead guitar.
Pushed range with some three-part harmonies at the end to give it a little dynamic peak there.
Remixed it all with a little more awareness of Al's original intentions and great tracks. You can hear his wah guitar now too. :) That track rocks!

Thanks for giving me a second chance, AL. And for the kind words and conversations we've had while doing this. I feel like I've made a friend.

I'll leave this thread to you now unless someone asks me a specific question or some troll comes in starting trouble. :rolleyes:

Oh one thing, Chad. That's not a backward guitar...it's volume swells. Cheers!

Al's demo version of this had some pretty sweet guitar work as well. I hope he does still finish his version. The guy can play! But I need something to do on this too. :)

Pretty cool. Though I had no problem with the earlier version, this one certainly works. Nice wah playing crawdad. I originally thought that was Tom (that's a huge compliment).
"volume swells" - that's what you call it! Much easier to say than "pluck with the volume down and turn it up".

damn... i'd say big improvement, but i didn't mind the last version.

anyhow, what can i say? i wouldn't really change anything.
great vocal harmonies
great guitar playing, and sound

...well, I didnt get a chance to hear the first one, so i'll say....BIG IMPROVEMENT!!!:D
This is cool guys, but of course thats to be expected from you studs. Im gonna hit this from home tonight, 'cause i aint gettin all the juice from these damn puter speakers.
...Nice leads in there Tom, and some quite excellent lead vocs from Al. Old man, you are one singin' mo#$#$%%%$$er:). Just when i think ive heard you "stretch" yourself, you take a razor to your achiles so you can reach out to a new place. (reading back....uh, that was meant as a huge compliment:rolleyes: :D ) I really dig the delay on the vocs, it really fit the tune nicely. I like the drums in this.
I didnt properly read through all of the first post.... ...Was the whole tune written together?

I enjoyed this alot guys, nice feel, nice writing, nice performances.........goddamn NICE!!!

gw/5

As a whole I would say this sounds better, more polished. The leads did not bother me before but these are very nice too. Just whip those things out with no trouble, huh? :) The wah guitar was a very nice touch. Some good glue.

The three part vocal harmonies at the end rocked. After I heard those I wish I had heard a few more earlier. They were sweet.

Overall, awesome job as expected. As I said before, the main vocals were sweet as well. Nice tone and space. It's a good song too which is usually number one in my book.

A real drummer (a good one that is) would be the icing on the cake!

crawdad said:
And, just to prove to you that I ain't no slouch on guitar (sometimes), I may post a different version of this in the future, just for fun on some rainy day. :D

Oh, that's not what I meant at all, Al. You kick buttocks on the guit-fiddle. My point was that Tom's phrasing wouldn't have come out of your fingers, and that made it a true collabo. As good a guit-slinger as both of you are, you'd both have done different things on this. That's all :)

And speaking for the rest of the group... we can't wait for that rainy day to come... do it now :mad:

;)

Tom - yep... volume swells ... you've confirmed it.... i'm an idiot :eek: :D (well... the overall "effect" was backward gtr)

Heh! I like the new background vocs, those are killer. Yep bringing out the wah guitar on the right was a good idea, that's such a sweet sound. It really sounds like a percussive instrument. The solo builds up better now and drops back into the chord progressions right on cue.

A great recording, just got better. can u believe it?

Great guitar. Great vocals. Super groove that was enjoyable to listen to. Really good job.

Hey Al.... I listened to "What Would Jesus Do" also. Liked that one a lot too. If you put a flute on that you've nailed that Marshall Tucker sound. :)

Back