HRC Attempt #1

crawdad

Dammit, Jim, Shut Up!
WARNING! This MP3 file is full of glitches. I'm gonna save you the time for now and repost this if I can just figure out why all my music is uploading badly all the sudden. Original message follows

OK. This is a toughie, but I'm experimenting. This song is nothing great, but I thought it would be my first guinea pig to apply this effect-less, -12db style of recording to. I used no effects, lo low end cuts, etc. I DID record my vocal after I did it by putting a mic in the room and I copied and shifted that tracks twice, searching for some ambience (Lord, give me my verb and echo back, PEEEEASE!)

Have pity on me, for I know not what I do....

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/?aid=1522/singles.shtml

I Can't Change

Last edited:
Very cool tune, you talk a lot of your stuff down for no reason! Mixwise, I think doubling the vox the way you did was inventive and it worked! Kudos to you!

bd

Hey there crawdad..

The song sounds really good nice and soulful. You have an excellent voice, man you don't need them reverb crutches! the lawd has healed.

However, at the 1:07 mark I started to notice all kinds of weird sounds just popping out of nowhere. There was a huge crackle at 1:50 that had me jumping for the volume controls.

I hope this is a data issue with maybe a bad mp3 because there's no way you would've missed that monitoring. Otherwise then I'd say it has to do with playing more than one copy of the same audio. Even when it's offset by a few milliseconds, this usually gives me a lot of weird effect like that.

update: I downloaded it a second time to check and the same thing.

update #2: I forgot this before (hey it' s 5 a.m. I'm exhausted!) I think your voice reminds me of some country guy. Like Waylon Jennings or something does that sound right?

Yeah.. some weird artifacts going on.. mp3 compression I'd guess..

Very nice song. Great performance, and a very nice mix.

So it wasn't just my mp3 player.

Great tracking, everything sounded beautiful.

I thought the vocal double was a little loud. Your singing was excellent.

Very nice! Very pro sounding production and writing
I wish I could sing like that

Bad mp3 file crawdaddy!It's got all kins of glitches and swirls.It must be something to do with your encoder.....I downloaded a song of yours a few days ago off of nowhereradio titled "Your friend again" and it has the same type of swirls and glitches throughout the tune.I'll be back!;)

P.S. Could it be possible that the artifacts are being added during the upload process to nowhereradio?

Hmmm...I need to look into this Mp3 issue. It is NOT the mp3 file I have here. Something gets corrupted in the transfer to Nowhere. Kramer, I noticed that glitch in Friend, so I took it down and reposted. I thought it was OK after that, but maybe not. I'll work on trying to trace this issue down, as it renders anything I post rather useless and those glitches are SCARY! :D

Off to figure this one out

I just downloaded "friend" again(thats a GREAT tune man) and it still has the glitches.Has to be something to do with upload process.

I'm mystified. Meanwhile, I can't even log into to Nowhere to try and fix anything for some reason. Thanks Kramer, for trying. I'll get to the bottom of this eventually.

I listened primarily from the aspect of determining if the -12db method improved things or not.

I don't know for sure, but it seemed to me that there was a little less "resolution" to your sound on this one. I thought the vocals had just the slightest degradation in fidelity compared with your other recent recordings. A hint of muffledness was there it seems. Was that due to the -12db strategy, MP3 artifacts, or something else.

As for the "something else"... From your description I didn't quite follow what you were doing vocally. But I liked what you were doing before better.

Bottom line for me: I don't think I can really tell for sure from this one song whether or not -12db is better, worse, or the same for you.

As I said in a post in SLuiCe's thread, I'm going to try the -12db approach. But this will also be the first time I record at 24 bit resolution. So I'm not sure I'm going to get the answer either. Argh. I want an answer!!!!

Anyway, it almost goes without saying that your singing and playing were top notch. But I didn't want to leave that out either. :)

Good job. Trip.

Hey, I reloaded the file and I "think" its OK now. Trying to stream it, it stopped and rebuffered about 20 times, LOL!, so who knows?

Triple M--I think the -12db thing is a potentially good thing, as is the idea of recording wihout help from EQ and compression. The latter is good because it makes you seek the right mic placement. As we know, EQ does degrade the recorded signal and introduces phase to the degree it is employed. In this song, I feel like I missed the mark in the mic placement to some degree. I think I can get it better. The thing is, you have to do a couple of these just to learn new techniques and habits--also just to see what you are doing sounds like all summed together. Then you go "next time, I'll change x,y, and z". Its a process of experimenting and learning, but its interesting for me.

With the -12 thing, its a tradeoff between distortion or clean but maybe a tad less resolution. TripleM--in this case, remember--I could have made things cleaner with EQ and some limiting--but since thats not allowed, I'm just trying to get what I can get sans the extra fixing tools! Hey, its a bitch--but its valuable and fun to experiment with this stuff.

Kramer--thanks for the help and heads up. I reposted the thing--hope its better now.

Doug H, Khompewtur, Herm, Mesuggah, bdbdbuck--Same to you guys for the help and suggestions. I will probably do another attempt just to see if I can refine this stuff a bit more.

Sounds great crawdad (I heard the one with glitches, but even still)! I really like the naturalness, I think I prefer it actually. A really cool, intimate sound. Would have liked to have heard your voice without the double, even. Dry and upfront. If you could retain this overall vibe as you produce it, I think that would be great. (Isn't country sort of moving away from that very produced sound, like the Dixie Chicks latest, and the Brothers soundtrack thing). Anyway, great song and performance as always.

Macle

P.S. regarding that -12 thing, if you record at a higher resolution, and lower it, maybe you lose a bit or two, maybe not. If you record at -12, you've already lost it, if you raise it, you're not going to get it back, and you're raising whatever noise, too. Just my thought, I really have no clue :) ! I would have posted this on that thread, but it seems the discussion about it has worn out it's welcome!

Very cool! By placing your vocals in a room with natural reverb, it really added a lot to the tune without compromising the challenge.

This sounds good over here. The drums sound like they could come up a bit in the mix, but otherwise, very nice!

--- btw -- no streaming problems on this end (in lo-fi) ---

:)

Glitches corrected. Sounds great over here now. But I'm from Wisconsin, and anything sounds better than all this Polka Music. An' a one an' a two........ :D Seriously, this is a great sounding piece, and I would have been glad to hear your naked vocal along with the rest of your nakedness. It would be interesting to hear it dry.

Twist

Hey that's a pretty cool trick Al! Like a slapback delay or something.

Actually the tune is really good! And you managed to capture enough ambience without traditional effects. And it sounds like you did it with spacious instrumentation and good miking. I'm having the same trouble dealing with not putting a little verb on my drums too. :) But I guess it can wait.

That sounded great Al. And it sounds like you didn't lose much if any detail recording at -12dB. I don't want to get into that discussion too deeply here, it's been covered. But I would dare say I feel better about making the suggestion after hearing this from you. I thought sure someone from the Mixing/Mastering board was gonna come in and kick my ass for saying that. :D

Anyway, great stuff as always Al. I think you should also post a full production later. It's worth it.

Great job!

Although I was kind of looking forward to hearing your voice straight-up. You don't need the vocal effects as much as you think you do!:p

The song is good, and has a bit of a Seger vibe. Must be a MI thing.:D

If it sounds this good dry, the "finished" version should be killer. Just don't go too crazy on the effects.;)

I'm not alone...I thought I heard the beginning to "Turn the Page" in that fuirst chord, but I shrugged it off as having just listened to dtb's version. And then I remembered you did a cover of that too. hmmmm.

Gentlemen...THIS IS THE REAL BOB SEGER. I KNEW IT. Oh so cool to finally meet you, man! I love "Sun Spot Baby!"

*SLuiCe ducks as Crawdad swings is Fender....*

:)

Back