HRC - American Idol Tuesday

Brilliant. Just brillliant.

I liked the voice! The first "tears will flow", "will" is a bit out of tune, worth another take. And "you malignant fool" would be great in a Simon accent.

I would do something to set off the repeating "it's American Idol Tuesday, has-been has been made on Wednesday" - different EQ, doubling, harmony voice, or something...

The harpsichord ending was nice, but seemed disconnected from the rest of the song - maybe find a tie-in? And the instrumental lead could use a stronger "voice" - an EP or vibes with some more color to them (or a honky-tonk piano with a lot of shakes and trills).

It is a great great song. Very nice piano work - what did you use?

Daf

Thanks guys!

W.I.S.K. -- Thanks for finally bringing me back to reality! I can't stand my voice...It is worthy of a one star rating. Thanks for giving it a listen. :)

Daf -- Wow, thanks! I'm gonna work on a fuller scale version when I get a chance. This vocal was recorded in one take without any tweaking for the HRC challenge, so I know it could be improved. Now that American Idol is over, though, this song will begin to show its age. Thanks for listening! :)

I knew this would be great.

Man, just a TOUCH of verb...you actually don't need much at all, b/c your vocal is really soft/warm without it. This sounds analog. I haven't read the thread, so if I'm being stupid, then it's nothing new.

None of the manually down-pitched backups...GOOD!!!! Lol.

Is that a harpsicord? Right after the casio keyboard sound?

I don't know what you're using for drums, but I'll read this to find out. I thought the drum work was PERFECT for this. Seriously, the whole recording just sounds very well thought through, even if it wasn't.

Now, all we have to do is get some of that "sheen" or "sparkle" or whatever the fuck the big boys call it, lol. Recording sounds like maybe it's missing some top end or something?? As is, it's a touch on the "dullish" side, which actually just tells me that it's real, unlike all the premade loop crap that I'm doing these days.

Nice

boydrj said:

I know Chrisharris is a real proponent of Autotune..
LOL...Okay; I should probably clear something up. Yeah, I personally love Antares' Autotune, but I'm not really a big fan of using it for the purpose of correcting pitch problems...weird, I know, but the truth is, it's great at making a bunch of different vocal parts blend together smoothly...(well, maybe that IS b/c it corrects my pitch problems, lol). My deal is, I like setting it on no vibrato, b/c I like the way it smoothes out the vocal. But I am painfully aware that 99.9% of the earth's population hates it. So, I guess what I'm saying is, if you're making music for you, then use it if you like it; if you're making music for anybody else, then don't use it.

If I could offer one last piece of advice about it, though...I'll say this...NEVER EVER EVER ADMIT TO THE CLINIC THAT YOU USE IT!!! lol.

Thanks Chris! Your right, this is an analog recording recorded on an old Tascam 488 8-track. Actually the Casio is a Yamaha PF88 that sounds like a Casio. It is an 88 key electric piano that only has about five sounds to it. I used it to track most of this recording, but the drums are a Roland TD-5 electric set. I only recorded the vocal once on one track. I kept all of the levels flat (0) and just moved the faders a bit to mix. All 8 tracks were used (I played the piano and bass parts on tracks 1-4 and the drums on 5/6 - solo vibes on track 7 and vocal on 8) so I didn't have room to add a guitar like I wouldv'e wanted to. If I ever get an auto-tuner, I won't admit to it...thanks for the advice.

:)

Nice tune Rob!
I dig the piano work,sweet.

Those high notes at 4:03 were great!
Good job on the vocals,I always dig your voice.

I never saw the show,guess I'll have to check it out now!:D

Cool stuff,
Pete

Back