How to route new rack unit into setup

RecordingMaster

A Sarcastic Statement
Hi there, I know lots of people on here are bashing the BBE Sonic Maximizer, but I found a used one for cheap and I'm going to get it just for the hell of it. :D I'm just wondering how exactly I would route it in my setup. I've never used outboard gear with my new setup, so not entirely sure how to hook it all up. My setup is in my signature below. Currently mixing and tracking in Pro Tools 9.

Here are pics of the front and back of the BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer. View attachment 70330View attachment 70329

And here are pics of the front and back of my interface. Tascam US-188 Front.jpg Tascam US-188 Back.jpg

So what plugs into where if I still want to record all tracks dry and somehow have a copy of all the tracks with the wet signal results? Would it work for more than one mic at the same time? Or do I need to wire a single mic to this, then the interface, etc?

Also, the description of this BBE unit on their website says that it's perfect for unbalanced studios, etc. So would this even be meant for my type of setup? My setup is "balanced" because I run two 1/4" cables out from the interface to stereo monitors, right?

Please let me know if you can help. Thanks!

After you have the track recorded, you want to set up your outputs in your DAW. Although I think it's already done with the Tascam. Plug the line outputs of your tascam into the inputs of the BBE and then back into the line ins of your tascam.

You route it how YOU need to route it. If you want it on one signal, it'll be on one signal. If it's a 2-channel unit, you can use it on 2 channels (if it has independent controls on each channel, you can use different settings on each channel). Otherwise, output goes to input.

And you're balanced if you're sending balanced signals down balanced cables. The number of them has nothing to do with anything, the type of cable is somewhat involved (you can run an unbalanced signal down an balanced cable but not the other way around without having issues).

If the unit is unbalanced, you're going to have to set your interface to handle unbalanced (-10) on that particular routing setup.

UNDOUBTEDLY, I'd suggest recording dry. If you still have ears and tweeters after a week of messing around with this thing, you'll very quickly realize it does exactly what you don't want with your setup.

Follow up: didn't get it. Got the plugins instead. Haven't tried em out much what whatevs, meh. I'd rather fill my rack with more usable stuff!

Those BBE maximizers are the preferred insert of choice for use with Moog Voyagers.

Just sayin'.

Yeah, one cable to the right and one to the left balances everything quite nicely.

I ended up trying the plugin out, as well as the Harmonic Maximizer plugin, VERY subtly on some of my individual drum tracks and it surprisingly worked wonders. Just couldn't get my floor tom to pop enough with only eq and compression, so this was just the trick to give some life to the sustain of the drum (which I was losing in the mix). It also help add just a little top sizzle/air to already-eq'ed cymbals. I recorded in a room with really low ceilings (treated of course) so they were kind of dull. I guess they do have their uses after all. I didn't go past "1" on any of the dials and that was all I needed.

I didn't go past "1" on any of the dials and that was all I needed.

^^^This^^^

One reason the hardware is disliked so much is that people mindlessly crack those knobs. I still don't think it should be used for mixing though.

The hardware is more for PA systems and home speaker systems.

I still have 3 or maybe 4 of these units that I got in a buy out. Haven't used one though.
A friend of mine swears by them though for recording. Bass and treble added to the kick and snare he says works great for him.

Back