How to rid my tracks of ess

Creepy said:
Mr. Gerst. Thank you. I hope you don't feel that I was making a direct attack towards you. Far from it. You have a very good understanding about microphones. I would hope to some day have the same knowledge and respect in the audio community as you. I just think that people tend to read into what you say what they want to hear. And what they want to hear about LD's doesn't always jive with what they want to hear in their recordings.
No, Creepy, I didn't think you were attacking me even for a moment, direct or otherwise. And as I pointed out, you made some very excellent points. But the one paragraph where you mentioned me had some points that I felt should be addressed in greater detail. You said:

I suggest that for beginners that mid priced mics be selected. I suggest this because you in time will find out the limitations of it, but you will also realize that it has some uses that it is very good at. To my ears, the really cheap mics just never quite work out well for anything. But I just have this feeling that some person is going to start saying how Harvery Gerst uses this, recommends that, has this other. I say that when you have recorded enough good artists over many years, maybe then you can make a subjective decision on what a cheap mic will work well on. I know Harvey doesn't like his Marshall mics for everything, but that is exactly what many of you guys around here are going to use them for! Many of you are going to use it whether is fits your voice or not! Now will a more expensive AT4050 work for every voice? No, that has not been my experience, but, it's averages in use at the studio are much higher than any other mic I have owned in my life! A truely good sounding work horse that just seem to deliver the right sound in many different uses. There are times when it sound adequate but another mic sound killer, but again, it always seems to be adequate.
The part about no single mic being right for everything every time is right on, as far as I'm concerned, but, it holds true for the AT4050 as much as it does for the V67G, or a Neumann U47, for that matter. In my original review, I thought that the V67G was a pretty good vocal mic, among some of the best I've heard, regardless of price.

But sometimes it loses out to other mics in my locker, some more expensive, and sometimes, some less expensive. The sound of the V67G, and MXL's commitment to consistency, made it a mic I felt I could safely recommend as a low priced alternative to vocal mics costing several times more money. But like any vocal mic, it ain't gonna work for everybody - but neither will the AT4050.

The MXL603S, on the other hand, was really a no-brainer - it easily beat out its more expensive brother, the MXL600, and came damn close to matching the sound of the matched pair of Sound Room Oktava's I own. For around $70 each, it will also give a Neumann KM184 a run for the money; no, it ain't a Neumann, but it ain't bad either.

If I find a mic that has some really useful features and won't break the piggy bank, I try to point it out. For many people, the V67G is an exceptional vocal mic, but it's not for everybody, as we've both tried to point out. But I feel you might be steering a large number of folks wrong by suggesting that the AT4050 is a better investment. For some people, that may very well be true, but for a lot of other people, the V67G (or a C1) may be the best vocal mic they'll ever need to buy.

It beats most of the cheap $100 Chinese mics out there, at least, it beats every other $100 LD Chinese mic I've ever heard. Alan Hyatt's C1 at $229 is really about the only competition the V67G has, and I'd actually be happy owning either mic, if I could just own one. I give the V67G a slight edge for its sound over the C1, but that's only on my voice - it could just as easily go the other way for someone else's voice. And that's where we both agree. I don't see the AT4050 as being a better value. That's where we disagree.

While You are here, do you have some tips on how to eliminate the problem.

I just won an auction for a dBx263 deesseer, will this device do the trick for the tracks I need to clean up?

Back