How to record instrument over track

CubanBenny

I know a guy who has already recorded a song. He has recorded a version for Spotify and another including a video for Youtube.

I think the song would be better with some bongo added. I play bongo and have the equipment to record it. So, i'd love to add a nice bongo sound to his recording.

However, what form of the song should I ask him for to do my recording over the top of? A Wav file?

When I ask him, I want to sound like I know what i'm talking about and are used to this sort of thing? I.e. I don't want to come across as a total amateur, which is what I am.

Thanks 8-)

Ask him for a .wav, and not any form of compressed format - add yours, send it back. Be prepared for him hating it. ALSO - if it's on Spotify and Youtube, then he's getting monitisation - not a lot almost certainly, but when he puts it back, you automatically get rights - If you were in the UK, PPL, who oversee the recordings would have your name added as a contributing artist, with some kind of percentage. If you only release on line, if the new version is put up, then you would be added at any agreed rate from 0 to 100% for your part, and if you arrange your part independently, then you might even become a co-writer. If he's a good friend, then a few dollars here and there won't matter. If he is not a good friend, you've got to negotiate all this, in case it suddenly becomes viral and serious money happens, and you want some of it?

Ask him for a .wav, and not any form of compressed format - add yours, send it back. Be prepared for him hating it. ALSO - if it's on Spotify and Youtube, then he's getting monitisation - not a lot almost certainly, but when he puts it back, you automatically get rights - If you were in the UK, PPL, who oversee the recordings would have your name added as a contributing artist, with some kind of percentage. If you only release on line, if the new version is put up, then you would be added at any agreed rate from 0 to 100% for your part, and if you arrange your part independently, then you might even become a co-writer. If he's a good friend, then a few dollars here and there won't matter. If he is not a good friend, you've got to negotiate all this, in case it suddenly becomes viral and serious money happens, and you want some of it?

Thanks, yes i'll ask for a Wav file. I don't care about the money to be honest. My focus is just to get him to put my version out there as I think I can improve the song.

How keen is he? That's the question. Some people are very resistant to changes they didn't instigate, others far more receptive. Does he really like the idea? If he does, you're ona a winner - but remember that the distribution platforms need attribution data in case you all fall out later!

How keen is he? That's the question. Some people are very resistant to changes they didn't instigate, others far more receptive. Does he really like the idea? If he does, you're ona a winner - but remember that the distribution platforms need attribution data in case you all fall out later!
He's pretty nonchalent at the moment. Says he'll give it a listen when I record it and send it back to him, and see if he likes it. So, i'll just wait and see if he likes it.

Back