How to position acoustic treatment

PoorBoyRecordings

I have another question for the masterminds of recording and acoustic treatment. I have been working on all my own stuff and just mixing songs downloaded from Cambridge University for about 4-5 years using just regular old foam to stop the bouncing sounds. Well, as everyone knows, plain old foam just doesn't cut it so I finally invested in some auralex 12"x12"x2" wedge panels. The thing I don't know for sure is: on the wall directly behind the speakers and computer monitor directly in front of me is, do I put the panels all the way to the ceiling from about a foot below my speakers ? Or would that deaden the sound to much?

Can you return the Auralex for credit? 'Acoustic foam' will absorb some high frequency reverberations, but doesn't touch the low-mid and low frequencies. Do your monitors have rear-firing bass ports?
What you want are rockwool (OC703, OC705, or Roxul) bass traps. They may not be necessary on your front wall (unless the monitors have the rear bassports).

A lot more info is needed - the size of your room overall, what else is in it, what monitors you are using, etc. There are online calculators you can use to find the frequency problems in your room.

Last edited by a moderator:
+1. You need broad band absorbers. Auralex may get down to the upper mids at best. They won't impact the lower mid and bass frequencies that are so important to control. Google bass traps. There is a load of literature and tests about them. You can build them DIY - that's the most cost effective way.

thx for the replies guys. I would have gone with the rockwool or fiberglass, but I have a pinched nerve in my back and can't do much as far a a lot of frame building etc. I know it's easy but I can't get up and down very easy or do much lifting at all. so, the reason I bought the auralex. I forgot to mention that I also bought some of their corner bass traps . room size: 9' wide x 12 feet long with 8 foot ceilings.

Small room, you need as much full-band trapping as you can squeeze in. If the Auralex corner treatment is foam, it still won't do what you need, but especially for the front wall (rear-firing bass ports or not?) You can buy fully constructed bass traps from a few sources, ATS for example.

thx mjbphotos. I checked out the ATS site and like what I saw. i'll have to wait a bit b4 I can order any of these due to already buying and gluing up the auralex bass traps as all the Auralex stuff I bought put me a little financially strapped for money. If it helps: I record at very low levels only for my self but; I still want to get some good as can be recordings.

I can recommend the tri-traps from GIK Acoustics. They pretty much changed my life. I'm sure other manufacturers offer solid traps too.

I do use some 4" Auralex foam as well in addition to 2" traps (also from GIK). I think they can be useful for first reflection points. But foam bass traps? Forget it.

I can recommend the tri-traps from GIK Acoustics. They pretty much changed my life. I'm sure other manufacturers offer solid traps too.

I do use some 4" Auralex foam as well in addition to 2" traps (also from GIK). I think they can be useful for first reflection points. But foam bass traps? Forget it.

thx dainbramage,

i'll check all the leads and info you have helped me with. Hopefully soon I can track a song that will not sound like it was recorded in a cardboard box, but better ( for me )

I'm a big fan of GIK as well. I have Tri Traps stacked on top of Soffit Traps in my front corners. Still having bass issues, so I think that I'm going to do Soffit Traps floor-to-ceiling in the front corners and put Tri Traps floor to ceiling in the rear corners. I use their Monster Bass Traps at my first reflection points, and their 244 traps as my ceiling cloud. And I have a couple of their 72" tall folding screens for gobos. Great build quality, nice sharp finish on them, and best of all they work really well. My room is about 13' x 17', and I could probably use 2 or 3 times the bass trapping that I currently have. It's still pretty uneven.

Back