How to multi channel record drums!

qunvat

Hi all,

So I'm thinking of recording a live kit (I've been using a TD20 with S. Drummer with great results but now want to try acoustic as an experiment), my set up is:

Cubase studio 4
Delta 1010LT soundcard
Audiobuddy phantom power (2 ins 2 outs)
SE cardioid mic

So the soundcard has about 8 (?) inputs and I know the Cubase will multi record (though I've not tried it)....I'm guessing I need a phantom powered interface to go into the Delta? Is it that simple? Oh and choice of mics? I already have:

SE cardioid
4 x SM58's
Basic but solid bass drum mic.

Am happy to buy some overheads and maybe an SM57 for the snare?

At first I'd be happy with reasonable results (I'm a full time pro drummer but these recordings would be for demos only at this stage).....I've done a zillion studio sessions but never tried to set up and record a kit before.

Many ta's in advance!

Si

I think you only need phantom power for the SE mic, so put that through the Audiobuddy
You should be able to plug the others direct into the sound card inputs.

Or depending on how editable you want/need it to be, you could just mic up the kit as if doing a live gig (through a small mixer) and just take the left and right outputs into Cubase.

I keep looking at this mixer, but haven't had a good enough reason to buy one yet.

Thanks...I want snare / hats / BD / floor / rack / OH x 2 / ROOM separated into 8 channels so how am I going to sort it?

Ta again, Si

The 1010LT is a line-level input device. You're going to need preamps for all the mics but the Audiobuddy only has two channels. A mixer with enough channels and direct outputs would do it, as would a rack full of boutique mic preamps or you could get something like the Presonus M80, Behringer ADA8000 or Focusrite Octopre.

It has channel inserts, right? You could tap signal from them to use like direct outputs. The quality may not be spectacular but it would get you started. You could even use the board to get a zero latency monitor mix.

Better to stay in one forum. Ask one of the moderators to move that other thread to here.
By the way, how many preamps and outputs does your mixer have ?

Better to stay in one forum. Ask one of the moderators to move that other thread to here.
By the way, how many preamps and outputs does your mixer have ?

Hi the mixer is not for studio work but for live purposes only..BUT if its an easy way to set up a full kit then I'll use it as an experiment.

More than enough channels ... BUT was wanting a better way ie is there an interface I can ADD to my existing DELTA 101LT possibly with phantom power so I use 2 or 3 cardioid mics with a few SM's etc? I'll go 8 channels possibly 2/3 cardioid and an SM58 / 57 or 3 and a bass drum mic. I already have most of this.

Ta, Si

Hi the mixer is not for studio work but for live purposes only..BUT if its an easy way to set up a full kit then I'll use it as an experiment.

More than enough channels ... BUT was wanting a better way ie is there an interface I can ADD to my existing DELTA 101LT possibly with phantom power so I use 2 or 3 cardioid mics with a few SM's etc? I'll go 8 channels possibly 2/3 cardioid and an SM58 / 57 or 3 and a bass drum mic. I already have most of this.

Ta, Si

I'm assuming you mean condenser mics. You only need phantom power for them. Use the Audio Buddy for that.

Like it was stated earlier, you can use your live mixers channels as preamps to feed the 1010 line inputs. Just get insert cables. If you want to monitor via the mixer, you would need to make cables to split the signal from the insert and back into the mixer.

This isn't really ideal, but it will work to get you going with what you have available.

You could also connect the Audio Buddy to two of the 1010 line inputs, use the two Delta preamp (mic) inputs, and use two channels of the live mixer (panned hard L/R) to send to the Delta, for a total of 6 tracks. If that unlabeled switch on your mixer is for phantom power, then you are set to use more condensers as well. I have myself only use two condensers on a kit for overheads. Wait, not true. Room mic as well.

Thanks . . . .so the MIC inputs on the delta already have PRE amps? P.S. as overheads shouldnt I use cardioid? (is that 'condenser' is it the same thing!?)

Yep. Just in case; make sure not to confuse phantom power with preamps. Preamps are needed by all mics to raise output to line level for recording. Phantom power just sends power to a condenser mic.

If you were to use the inserts from the live mixer, you would be essentially using just the preamp stage of the mixer to supply line level to your Delta.

With THIS.

Back