How to make vocals blend into a mix

Iwannamix

So im mixing this track and ive used all the basics and the vocals sound pretty good. Im using cubase

Compression - GranComp , Waves SSL Comp , Cubase Comp
EQ - Cubase GE - 30 EQ, Studio EQ , Waves EQ
Reverb - Cubase Reverb
Delay - DoubleDelay

IT sounds pretty god but the vocals sound like there ontop of the Track and not blended in, here's a sample of it i have to mix for a friend.

Hallucination (Prod. By Kile Kanvas) | Kile Kanvas

Any suggestions ?

I don't think the vocal sounds like it's "on top". It doesn't sound blended though, because the beats and synthy sound are too loud and seem to be masking the vocal.

Yeah man, the vocals are buried under that massive 'Kick drum?'. The vocal is no where near in the mix IMO. Actually, when I turn off my sub, it sounds more reasonable. Still, the vocal is not projected as the only 'real' instrument here. I would double track the vocal, use some compression, and some other stuff to bring it out to the front of the mix. It is buried as it is here.

Yup to all of the above.

In addition, you have lots of parts in your music track that sit in the same frequency range as the important parts of your vocal.

Do all the tricks suggested above but also use some EQ on the whole backing track mix to subtly cut frequencies between, say, 500 Hz and 3kHz--taper this cut slightly so at 500 Hz you're down about 1-1.5dB, down to -3dB between 1k and 2k then back up to a -1 to -1.5dB cut by 3k. These frequencies, particularly the 1-2k range, are where most of the intelligibility in the human voice sits.

The numbers above are just to give you a starting point--the exact frequencies and degree of cut have to be done by ear.

This, along with playing with levels and compression, should help your voice sit better. Don't be afraid to actually mix on a phrase by phrase basis either--a half dB up or down at the right moment can make a huge difference.

So im mixing this track and ive used all the basics and the vocals sound pretty good. Im using cubase

Compression - GranComp , Waves SSL Comp , Cubase Comp
EQ - Cubase GE - 30 EQ, Studio EQ , Waves EQ
Reverb - Cubase Reverb
Delay - DoubleDelay

IT sounds pretty god but the vocals sound like there ontop of the Track and not blended in, here's a sample of it i have to mix for a friend.

Hallucination (Prod. By Kile Kanvas) | Kile Kanvas

Any suggestions ?
try expanding the background track before mixing in the vocals and compress the mix with the vocals in it.

what do you mean ? mix the beat ?

Mix everything with no compression, no reverb. Get it sounding as good as possible before you start adding all the processing. Basically get all your levels set right and everything working together before you start adding to it.

Mix everything with no compression, no reverb. Get it sounding as good as possible before you start adding all the processing. Basically get all your levels set right and everything working together before you start adding to it.

Don't even give this kid a hint. He has no respect. Trust me. He will not be here for long.

I hear that the Waves SSL compressor and the Waves EQ compressor have great manuals and that if you call support and give them your serial number, they will actually tell you the secret of mixing in vocals.

they will actually tell you the secret of mixing in vocals.

Lol, seriously ? I'm no expert but I somehow doubt there is a certain secret to mixing vocals, a secret you can only gain access to by buying Waves plug ins. I'm guessing a good room, good equipment, and training your ears through lots of practice is a better bet.

You must have turned off your sarcasm detector.

I wasn't trying to be sarcastic. My point is, there isn't some secret only a few people know about mixing vocals. It's not like a beginner can learn about this secret and immediately acquire superb mixing skills.
Too bad though, it would have been a lot easier that way.

Back