How to make my mic recoding "blend in" background track?

Wow, that's amazing. No links. No step by step.

He needed help recording flute , said that they sound pretty "low quality and even cheesy. "

Gregs advice , just try to get the cleanest track you can of your flute.

He knows exactly what to do now.

Wow, that's amazing. No links. No step by step.

I thought Greg's post was pretty clear but since you seem to have a hard time understanding his advice to the OP, here's your step-by-step.

Step 1. Get closer to the mic.

1234384955-eatingmicflickr.jpg

Step 2. Add some digital reverb.

I thought Greg's post was pretty clear but since you seem to have a hard time understanding his advice to the OP, here's your step-by-step.

Step 1. Get closer to the mic.

View attachment 81607

Step 2. Add some digital reverb.

[video=youtube;Pb3lc[/video]

Negative , he said the cleanest flute, or cant you read.

reverb is not cleanest flute. That is contradicting in both , statements .

Why don't you give the OP a break, shut up! I will teach this guy how to record an orchestral sounding flute, and when you listen to it all together, it sounds like you were there. There as it sounded in that room, or better. Every time I post its 2 pages of nonsense.

OP, PM me . I will give you my email address to communicate, and help you as best I can.

I felt sorry for the guy in the vocal section, did you see gregs advice there? He tells the guy "just sing the shit." No advice on how to duplicate the vocal at all. He even mentions somebody else sings in his band, how is he the expert then? I see him in a lot of posts, with the same quality of advice. I am changing my mind about contributing on the forum. He is mentally ill, and not able to control himself.

Last edited:

I don't know how what he said in this thread is unclear. It made sense to me. I think you're just having issues comprehending things.

Negative , he said the cleanest flute, or cant you read.

He said to get the cleanest RECORDING (because his room doesn't sound like it was recorded in some orchestral hall like you're trying to get it to sound like), so that way he can apply reverb digitally, and it won't be adding something such as hall reverb on top of his room's reverb.

Frick, dude. Learn some audio terminology before you're going to try to criticize Greg. Have you heard his recordings? They sound great for a reason. He knows what he's doing.

No it isn't you illiterate mongoloid.

Record the flute as clean as possible, then add reverb.

You complicate the simplest concepts. Just stop.

Last edited:
To the original poster...

Ignore these assholes.

The backing recording was likely recorded in a more ideal environment than you have. Don't feel bad, many of us suffer that common circumstance, we don't have an ideal recording space. To help remedy the situation it would probably help by trying to eliminate your room from the recording as much as possible....less room, more flute. How we do this is by close micing our instruments. After you get a nice clean performance from your flute you can then experiment with placing the flute in a virtual space using effects, such as reverb. Having eliminated your space from the recording is important because you would not want any conflict between your space and the virtual space in which you eventually place your flute. That is why it is important to record a nice clean and dry performance on your flute, it then allows you the opportunity to experiment with reverb and such to find the right fit to blend into the room in which the backing track was recorded.

Take care with the reverb, a little can go a long way. A common practice is to tweak up the reverb until you can hear and notice it, then back it off from that point a bit. Although, flute can sometimes benefit from a fair amount of reverb. It's really up to you, experiment, keeping in mind that your goal is to blend in with your backing track.....which is often achieved by making it sound as if all tracks were seemingly recorded in the same space/environment.

Good luck and have fun, you'll do fine. Post up some samples, i'm sure some of these assholes will be more than happy to tell you where you are going wrong. :thumbs up:

To the original poster...

Ignore these assholes.

The backing recording was likely recorded in a more ideal environment than you have. Don't feel bad, many of us suffer that common circumstance, we don't have an ideal recording space. To help remedy the situation it would probably help by trying to eliminate your room from the recording as much as possible....less room, more flute. How we do this is by close micing our instruments. After you get a nice clean performance from your flute you can then experiment with placing the flute in a virtual space using effects, such as reverb. Having eliminated your space from the recording is important because you would not want any conflict between your space and the virtual space in which you eventually place your flute. That is why it is important to record a nice clean and dry performance on your flute, it then allows you the opportunity to experiment with reverb and such to find the right fit to blend into the room in which the backing track was recorded.

Take care with the reverb, a little can go a long way. A common practice is to tweak up the reverb until you can hear and notice it, then back it off from that point a bit. Although, flute can sometimes benefit from a fair amount of reverb. It's really up to you, experiment, keeping in mind that your goal is to blend in with your backing track.....which is often achieved by making it sound as if all tracks were seemingly recorded in the same space/environment.

Good luck and have fun, you'll do fine. Post up some samples, i'm sure some of these assholes will be more than happy to tell you where you are going wrong. :thumbs up:

+1 again for what Greg said.

Yes, yes, I know that.......sheesh. It's called reiteration. If it was worth saying the first time, it was worth saying again....perhaps without all the dick wagging. It was damn good advice, if I do say so myself.

You guys quit mucking up the op's thread. :mad:

OP, listen to Greg.

Mark has been giving wrong/irrelevant/out of context/ incomprehensible information for about a week now. DO NOT listen to one word he's saying. He doesn't even understand the "info" he's copying from somewhere else.

I've been trying to stay out of it in about 3 different threads. But it's at a point where something needs to be said, and too many guys here are too obsessed with being polite and diplomatic. The fact is, Mark is steering you in the wrong direction because he doesn't have a clue about the most simple concepts in recording. I think the mods should do something because he's steering newbs in the completely wrong direction. Trust me, I'm telling you the truth.

Listen to Greg as far as this thread is concerned, and pretty much every other thread he posts in. Mark has absolutely no idea what he's talking about. I think he needs a time-out.

dick wagging. :

Which is exactly what you're doing now. You could have just said what you said without calling anyone an asshole. It's always funny when the hypocrite cave trolls wander out of their nest and try to act like contributing posters. :D

It was a joke, Greg. Lighten up.

You've always strongly advised some of us to leave the cave and become contributing members to HR. I'm trying. Let's be honest here, saying we/I should leave the cave to become contributing members and offering up ridicule when we do is a bit on the hypocritical side in itself, wouldn't you say? It's unnecessary.

Just drop it, it serves no purpose in this thread. The guy asked for help.

I think Greg's advice was correct, maybe not detailed enough, but I am going to enter the fray and take a shot.

OP

Bring your background tracks into your DAW. With a new track, try and get your performance recorded, use as many tracks as you need and experiment with the mic'ing. Try and mix them to where you feel they sound close. Add in some reverb to the master and compression to try and "glue" them together. You will have to do some work on the mixing, but this should get you close if not there. It may not sound perfect for all the above reasons, but it may get you the sound you are hoping for.

As far as waggin', I don't think I am endowed enough to be able to enter in that contest.

It was a joke, Greg. Lighten up.

You've always strongly advised some of us to leave the cave and become contributing members to HR. I'm trying. Let's be honest here, saying we/I should leave the cave to become contributing members and offering up ridicule when we do is a bit on the hypocritical side in itself, wouldn't you say? It's unnecessary.

Just drop it, it serves no purpose in this thread. The guy asked for help.

I helped him, or tried to. I'd rather you cave people stay in the cave. That's not up to me though. I didn't ridicule you for trying to contribute, I ridicule you for the way you did it. In fact, I didn't even ridicule your post. How could I? You just reiterated what I said, which is cool with me. I ridiculed your holier-than-thou hypocrisy.

But I do agree that this should stop. The OP doesn't deserve this.

Kinda touchy aren't you?..asshole hit a little too close to home? :D

Whether I reitterated what you said is irrelevant. Any number of posters could have given the exact same advice, which would probably be a good thing and establish a consensus, outside any one persons apparent neediness to be the self appointed arbiter of who should and should not be contributing to the discussion.

You're damn right you don't get to decide, so stfu.

But, you go ahead and get the last word....you know you need to. :)

Back