How to fix off-beat drums without re-recording?

Old post but for the benefit of others:

You could sort out the timing of the drummer using abletons warping function. Get the track into Ableton Live, check the automatic marker placement lines up with the transients (i.e. the drum hits), and apply a degree of quantisation that gets it sounding good - or hard quantise 100% then apply a groove. I use ableton for the most part but I imagine this could be done with some other DAWs using their warping equivalent.

To sort out the mic bleed try running it through melodyne using the different 'algorithm' options. Maybe it will separate the mic'd instrument from the bleed instrument into different 'blobs'.

What you have to do is group all the tracks together. So when you cut the kick drum, you are also cutting the rest of the tracks as well.

Then when you move things around, you move the bleed as well. Of course, if the drummer was supposed to hit two things at the same time and he didn't, you are pretty well screwed. But if that is the case, you really don't have a performance worth fixing. It would be much less work to simply program the drum part and use samples.

Back