How to export the recording tracks to a pendrive?

mokko01

How to export the recording tracks to a pendrive? That's important if the PC crash. If that happens you have all your work saved.

Mp3 or wave filed?

What program are you using to record? You should be organizing your recordings into subfolders under a general recording folder. Then you can back up the entire project. I would skip any flash drives and get a 1 to 4 Terrabyte USB hard drive. Then you'll have enough room for anything that you do for a long time. As for exporting, All these program have a mixdown feature. For example, in Reaper, you render the portion of the recording that you want to save, or you can render the entire project. For archival purposes, you probably want to stick with wave files of at least 44.1kHz. For MP3, use the highest quality, like 320kbps. Then you have the final mix along with all the components of the recording.

I don’t understand? Surely you organise your system into folders? The you just copy the folder? If you are worried about crashes, then you install some kind of backup. My favourite is the apple system with time machine. Your computer can be backed up so simply, and if you buy a new one, it sticks everything you had back. Windows has third party apps to do the same. Data security is hardly a music only problem. My music is on a nas drive, where I can access it everywhere and it mirrors my audio stuff on two other computers that are always in sync

You do it the same way you save anything else to an external drive. Take the folder the files are in and drag and drop it to the external drive.

I organize by folders and just copy the folder if I'm going to work on a project on my laptop.

I have two back up HDDs in my work station, one drive I back up the working folders to everyday from the primary SSD, and one drive that I mirror the primary drive to once a month (unless there's a major software change, then I do it immediately). I also have a external SSD that I mirror the primary drive to if I'm going on a trip so I essentially take the work station with me, so I never worry if I have forgot a file, etc.

The nice thing about mirroring the primary drive is if the computer primary drive craters, or something happens to the computer, I just stick my mirrored backup in place of the failed drive, or a new computer and I'm off and running just like nothing happened. I started mirroring drives back when I was a mechanical designer. Every couple of years the company would get new computers for the engineering department. It was very time consuming to reinstall software, etc. It would take a day, sometimes two if something didn't install or activate properly. That's not a problem with a mirrored drive.

Don't use mp3 for archiving anything important. Keep audio files in their original, uncompressed format.

You could probably go into a project and "save as" and select the USB drive as the destination.

I'm trying still to export the work to an external thing but I can't. Maybe track by track. I want to sane all the tracks in a cakewalk format, so I can open it , and redirect me to cakewalk plataform

Test this.
Record four tracks and select a place you can find easily to save them - give each track unique names like aaaaa or bbbbb or cccc etc. Save the song. close cakewalk. Templates are different to the project files - they are meant to be used for common songs, where you could have a rock template, jazz template and dance music template so the thing loads up tracks, instruments, and other settings to save you time.

once you save it, then use explorer to find where you put it and there will be a folder with everything you need, so just look at the contents and copy the entire thing to the pendrive.

I still think we may be on cross purposes here?

I get it. I recorded the entire half song in mp3. What I want to do is save all , that when I open it, can see all the tracks independent and easy to keep recording if PC crash.

Please do not get offended, but this is NOT how it works. mp3 is the end format you send your music out in. I will download Cakewalk - it's nice to see it back, and will report back on what you need to do. I think you may have misunderstood the entire thing. I'll be back.

Cakewalk is free, and rather nice. You record your tracks and by default it records them as .wav files. These are stored in the audio folder inside the main Cakewalk folder created on your C: drive. projects are stored either as .cwa files - which have the data, plus links to the audio in the project (stored in that audio folder) or as a complete package of eveything saved as a .cwb file. Mixdown defaults to .wav, but here of course you can change that to your .mp3 format for distribution. By default cakewalk uses non-compressed files as they all do. If you do not want to lose things, in your cakewalk folder will be the project folder - in my case 'test' simply copy and paste this to your removable drive - BUT - it will be quite big of course.

There is no problem with backups and it recorded my test tracks as track 1, track 2 etc. It also found my VST folders and is happily playing some samples, synths and drums on my cubase install! For newcomers it's rather nice and free. I guess you can upgrade and pay for things maybe, but it seems pretty good so far.

Attachments

• cw1.jpg
    cw1.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 4
  • cw2.jpg
    cw2.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 4
  • cw3.jpg
    cw3.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 3
  • cw4.jpg
    cw4.jpg
    261.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
How to export the recording tracks to a pendrive? That's important if the PC crash. If that happens you have all your work saved.

Mp3 or wave filed?
Export as Wave files as a Project in whatever Program you are using - a Flash Drive isn't the best idea - try an external HardDrive.

I get it. I recorded the entire half song in mp3. What I want to do is save all , that when I open it, can see all the tracks independent and easy to keep recording if PC crash.
DON'T RECORD IN MP3. MP3 was designed in the days of dialup internet. It degrades the quality of the sound in order to make the files a lot smaller. It's not suited to music production.

It seems the only way to save is a wave file. I remember in sonar years ago, I did a thing that when I opened , it opens in cakewalk work. I can see all the tracks

This all seems very complicated! I don't record my own music, can't play, but if I have recorded a test piece to check it for someone say, I export it as a .wav (though it might have started life as MP3) and to the Desktop. Then I can easily 'send to' in a thumb drive or, more usually, attach it to an email. Rarely are files bigger than 10M or so but if so I save as 320K mp3. REALLY big files go via We Transfer.

I generally do this in Samplitude ProX3 but often Audacity. Periodically I clean up the Desktop.

Re "Backup" Sam has the handy function "Save Complete VIP in" That saves all and every bit of data in a project and can be transferred to other Samplitudes in other machines. They are necessarily quite large files mind and need all the 'bit' to be kept together.

Dave.

Back