Votes: 233 36.3%
  • 2gb

Votes: 33 5.1%
  • 3-4gb!?

Votes: 8 1.2%

• Total voters
Yeah Baby Yeah!

1 GB!

LOVE IT!!! LOVE IT!!! LOVE IT!!! LOVE IT!!! Haven't overloaded, dropped, skipped, hiccuped yet. The investment was worth it. No issues over HERE! YEAH BABY, YEAH! I got the JUICE!!!! :D

strings012 said:
1 gig on a new dell coming this week.

You're gonna LOVE IT! I made the upgrade and it is well worth it. Don't have to worry about a thing. Real time processing with no hiccups, no dropouts...NOTHING! No problem. The sky's the limit. I tried to make it messup for fun and recorded 22 audio tracks of garbage all with massive effects and it didn't event think twice...just played, processed and did what it was supposed to do. YEAH BABY YEAH!!!! :D

8Gb RAM here, but thats only because im involved in high video editing and music etc. need to run simultaneous programmes at the same time etc. always nice to say that though ;)

noisedude said:
Holy crap! 8gb?? I'm assuming you're a 64-bit man ... I didn't think 32-bit could address that much ram?

A 32 bit (Wintel) architecture can address more memory by paging - e.g. Windows 2000 Advanced Server can handle 16 GB.

On the other hand Windows xp Professional only supports up to 4 GB, so with 8 GB RAM I'm sure hoping that the system is something like a PowerMac G5!

Cya

Yes, i use a G5. I have never had all 8Gb being used up, think the total is about 6 and that was with 5 HUGE programmes simultaneously recording/playing etc. Nice ;)

1 Gig here. I haven't got into any heavy recording on this computer yet but knowing I have a good amount of RAM puts my mind at rest for when I do. :)

512 mb here Sonar 3

HI
Got an Athlon 2000, seems ok
I would have the hump if I bought more ram and I couldn't see any difference.

I ran 43 tracks through Sonar the other day ( No effects, just guitar bass and drums, recorded live, then copied )

Seemed to cope ok.
I did buy a new HD with 8 meg of cache and this seems to have really helped on the dropout front.

There are more factors other than hardware that affect the PC. It is estimated that 70% of PCs have spyware. Spyware will kill your machine no matter how much memory or how fast your PC is or if your have fast hard drives(SATA, SCSI). Also windows 2000/PX run a bunch of stuff that you dont need as services and realtime monitoing. Also I've noticed that norton antivirus can slow down your PC. I say the best way to run your recording PC is to us it only for recording,no internet surfing, or gaming, on antivirus. I mean totally isolate the thing.

Disable the network card first

altiris said:
There are more factors other than hardware that affect the PC. It is estimated that 70% of PCs have spyware. Spyware will kill your machine no matter how much memory or how fast your PC is or if your have fast hard drives(SATA, SCSI). Also windows 2000/PX run a bunch of stuff that you dont need as services and realtime monitoing. Also I've noticed that norton antivirus can slow down your PC. I say the best way to run your recording PC is to us it only for recording,no internet surfing, or gaming, on antivirus. I mean totally isolate the thing.

Hi This is the first thing you should do. then stop you anti virus.
You should stop all non esential stuff.
Use cntl-alt-delete and see what is running. XP seems to constantly phone home at the worst possible time!!

Back