How much $$$ do you charge??

distortedrumble said:
.......see chessrock? ok 25 bucks i'm willing to work with. it'll be romane noodles for a few nights but what the hell.

I don't see how anyone can pass up that price. Ha. I really just want to try to help out a lot of the younger bands in my area's scene. I definitely think that the product-to-price ratio is way off, the product being much more valuable than the price. I'll charge more someday.

geet73 said:
I don't see how anyone can pass up that price. Ha. I really just want to try to help out a lot of the younger bands in my area's scene. I definitely think that the product-to-price ratio is way off, the product being much more valuable than the price. I'll charge more someday.
so what equipment do you have?

I use a Behringer MX2004A mixer for pres into a Terratec Phase 88. My monitors are KRK RP8s. My Mics are: 1 EV635A, 2 SM57, 1 SM58, 1 AKG D112, 3 Audio Technica Pro-35x, 1 Audio Technica Kick/Tom mic, 2 MXL 991, 2 MXL 990, 1 Studio Projects B1, and 1 Sony ECM-50.

http://www.purevolume.com/thepremier

That's an example of what I'm doing. I think it's pretty good. It's better than some studios around here that are ripping kids off for $35-40 an hour. They're putting out some shitty recordings too.

nice......seemed like it could use a little fixing up technically songwise but aside from that it was nice. that whole unpolished sound is the shiznit these days lol. nothing wrong with the recording to me. just the song seems like it coulda been tightened up some

I have only done if for free, and only for me...

Sounds like masturbation, but that's me....

Hey, I'm a poet!:D

Actually, this is a very good question, especially for those of us who will someday get into a fully functioning money making studio...

Of course, mine will be in the Philippines and won't make any money....

Rokket said:
I have only done if for free, and only for me...

Sounds like masturbation, but that's me....

Hey, I'm a poet!:D

Actually, this is a very good question, especially for those of us who will someday get into a fully functioning money making studio...

Does this mean you have decided to stay east? I was going to ask you where home was when not in the military, but you may have answered that.

good luck.
Ed

Rokket said:

ahhhh....but then you will have cornered the market in the Philippines.

i only charge 25 per song....thats multitrack recording. i use PT le 6.4 /mac g5/digi 002... im very cheap. i figure i just want to get my name out as much as i can, and its working. im 17 so i have no need for all that much $. im booked till the summer. www.purevolume.com/thevacancy ... i recorded bass guitar and vocals for this album, its out in stores.

This all reminds me of an ad I saw many years ago. It was written a number of years before I was born, but it has many truths in it.

The Penalty of Leadership is the title of a Cadillac advertisement that appeared in the Saturday Evening Post, on January 2, 1915, written by Theodore F. MacManus:

The Penalty of Leadership.
"In every field of endeavor, he that is first must perpetually live in the white light of publicity. Whether the leadership be vested in a man or a manufactured product, emulation and envy are ever at work. In art, in literature, in music, in industry, the reward and the punishment are always the same. The reward is widespread recognition; the punishment, fierce denial and detraction.

When a man's work becomes a standard for the whole world, it also becomes a target for the shafts of the envious few. If his work be merely mediocre, he will be left severely alone - if he achieve a masterpiece, it will set a million tongues a-wagging. Jealousy does not protrude its forked tongue at the artist who produces a common-place painting.

Whatsoever you write, paint, play, sing or build, no one will strive to surpass or to slander you, unless your work be stamped with the seal of genius. Long, long after a great work or a good work as been done, those who are disappointed or envious continue to cry out that it cannot be done.

Spiteful little voices in the domain of art were raised against our own Whistler as a mountebank, long after the big world had acclaimed him its greatest artistic genius. Multitudes flocked to Bayreuth to worship at the musical shrine of Wagner, while a little group of those whom he had dethroned and displaced, argued angrily that he was no musician at all. The little world continued to protest that Fulton could never build a steamboat, while the big world flocked to the river banks to see his boat steam by.

The leader is assailed because he is a leader, and the effort to equal him is merely added proof of that leadership. Failing to equal or to excel, the follower seeks to depreciate and to destroy but only confirms once more the superiority of that which he strives to supplant.

There is nothing new in this. It is as old as the world and as old as the human passions envy, fear, greed, ambition and the desire to surpass. And it all avails nothing.

If the leader truly leads, he remains the leader. Master-poet, master-painter, master-workman, each in his turn is assailed and each holds his laurels through the ages. That which is good or great makes itself known, no matter how loud the clamor of denial.

That which deserves to live - lives".

You guys charging 25 per song ...

You know there are 10-year old kids in third-world countries getting paid more for their labor. Don't you ever feel like you're being taken advantage of?

I mean I know you probably enjoy it and all, but it's kind of a pride thing. Do you ever feel like you're setting the bar low for yourself? Bands aren't charities -- there are far more needy people in the world if you really like volunteering your time. Big brothers/big sisters, United Way, Make a wish Foundation, etc.

Yeah, but it's like... Charge cheap prices or don't record bands. I'm sure if they could charge more they would. Plus if you still live with the parents you don't need money for food, heat, etc... Would you rather be sitting around alone with tons of a cool gear and a sweet place, or be broke with tons of experience?

I charge $10 an hour because I have a small and meager mobile pro-sumer recording rig, and I've already recorded all my friends bands. I don't live with my parents, but my monthly (house) bills add up to a whooping $200 a month.

Many seem to forget that this is homerecording.com. Most people here probably don't have studios.

I guess that's ok, if you're not concerned about recouping your equipment investment at some point, acquiring new gear, maintainence costs, or advertising, or even electricity (just our studio electric bill runs around $300 a month).

The way I look at it is that home recording people are still learning their craft, and it's gonna take some time before they're any kind of competition for our place. At some point, they usually either tire of it, realize it's gonna cost a lot more money or time than they're willing to invest, or...

... they'll turn pro and realize they were charging too little for their recordings.

While they're learning, I'll still get the business from people who need professional recordings, and after they've learned enough to turn pro, they'll raise their rates, where I'll compete well, based on longer experience, and a lifetime of gear acquisition. :cool:

Harvey Gerst said:
At some point, they usually either tire of it, realize it's gonna cost a lot more money or time than they're willing to invest, or...

... they'll turn pro and realize they were charging too little for their recordings.

And it's also at that point that they're the most vulnerable to guys who are either doing it cheap or free, just like they were. I guess it just seems like kind of a counter-productive cycle, where we're basically responsible for the under-valuing of our own work.

chessrock said:
And it's also at that point that they're the most vulnerable to guys who are either doing it cheap or free, just like they were. I guess it just seems like kind of a counter-productive cycle, where we're basically responsible for the under-valuing of our own work.
Yup, they are "the most vulnerable to new guys who are either doing it cheap or free", and the ones without a good business plan will probably fold. And the "cheap gear for sale" signs go up again.

What most people don't realize is that once you become known for really cheap prices, it's hard to go up in price much before you're competing with the well-known respected studios. And I guarantee you, you'll hafta spend a lotta bucks to compete with us. Yeah, we've got a 32 x 8 Topaz board, and we also have an MCI-556D, 11 foot long, 1,400 pound, monster board, and a very nice, fully automated, SSL 4048GL+ board as well.

Harvey Gerst said:
Yeah, we've got a 32 x 8 Topaz board, and we also have an MCI-556D, 11 foot long, 1,400 pound, monster board, and a very nice, fully automated, SSL 4048GL+ board as well.

Yea, but how many lava lamps? :D

chessrock said:
You guys charging 25 per song ...

You know there are 10-year old kids in third-world countries getting paid more for their labor. Don't you ever feel like you're being taken advantage of?

Eh. I know what you mean. I'd just feel bad charging someone a lot more money and not producing a product worth that much.

Back