How many Guitar Amps do you own?

How many guitar amps?

• Total voters
Pedals confuse me, pedals go wrong, pedals add weight to my rig, pedals are trip hazards. I have a volume pedal sometimes..
simply have to have some although I don't carry all 80 of my pedals with me. :laughings:

I have a smallish board with .... ummmm ... 8 pedals on it.
I HAVE to have a couple of mod pedals and a delay and since several of my amps don't have 'verb I have to have that as well. I also use compression on some gigs.
As for them going wrong ...... not really if you build a good board and make your own cables for it. I haven't had the slightest glitch in my board for a couple of years of busy gigging.

If your gig requirements don't include pedals then it would be silly to have any. But I absolutely have to have some.

I'm thinking of building a tiny board with nothing but those small Xotix Effects or Mooer pedals on it.
It could have 8 pedals on it and still be small.

simply have to have some although I don't carry all 80 of my pedals with me. :laughings:

I have a smallish board with .... ummmm ... 8 pedals on it.
I HAVE to have a couple of mod pedals and a delay and since several of my amps don't have 'verb I have to have that as well. I also use compression on some gigs.
As for them going wrong ...... not really if you build a good board and make your own cables for it. I haven't had the slightest glitch in my board for a couple of years of busy gigging.

If your gig requirements don't include pedals then it would be silly to have any. But I absolutely have to have some.

I'm thinking of building a tiny board with nothing but those small Xotix Effects or Mooer pedals on it.
It could have 8 pedals on it and still be small.

Just joshing........ but I only ever use s spring line I hate digital. The springline is probably more Likely to crap out I agree but...

As to the rest, I just don't use them any more. Its a setup breakdown thing. I have spent years getting a good clean sound with as little weight as possible (or at least trying to. It's my holy grail.. Plus most of my gigs are jump blues and soul stuff these days, I just don't need them. Nothing wrong with them though. Eighty plus you say I have about that many chisels.....:eek:

Just joshing........ but I only ever use spring line ....... I hate digital.
yeah me too, but if your amp doesn't have a reverb then it's really the only choice.
Well, actually I have an awesome Fostex spring unit but I'm not hauling that around .... it's for the studio.

I have multiple amps for different gigs and some of them, like the wonderful Ampeg GVT-5H, don't have 'verb and I have to have 'verb.
And I think you might be surprised how good some of the newest 'verb pedals sound.
The 'spring' on my Hall of Fame pedal really sounds like a spring although I mostly use the 'plate' setting.

In La. I did go years with no pedal .... just a guitar and an amp.
That, of course, was always in bands and usually large bands of 5-8 pieces.

But here everything I do is either a solo gig or a 3 piece rhythm section. More solo than band gigs but either way you only have one guitar player and you really need some alternative sounds to break the monotony.

I don't use them to recreate someone's sound from a record though ..... I pretty much don't give a crap about that ..... I play things like I play them and anyone that doesn't like it can bite me :D Every once in a while there might be a guitar part that I get a kick out of playing like the record but mostly I don't.

So the pedals just give me more ways to change things up so I don't get bored.

As for the set-up .... meh ..... I don't mind set-up/tear-down.
Guys our age need weight bearing exercise to keep our bone density up in the first place. that's actually true
Plus a pedal board doesn't weigh much ...... my Mark V is 65lbs.
In fairness I use the little 5 and 15 watt amps most of the time but my load in for gigs where I'm just playing guitar is an amp and a pedal board plus mics and various stands. I don't see the pedal board as that much.

If you hate load in catch what I bring for a solo gig:

2-15"/horn speaker cabs
Mackie 808m powered mixer
guitar amp ... usually a 10" cab and the Ampeg or Tiny Terror (but sometimes one of my bigger amps)
pedal board (8 pedals) plus occasionally an additional pedal or two.
Roland XP-60 keyboard
two speaker stands/mic stand/small mic stand for amp/keyboard stand/sax stand/couple of lights

3 mics and 3 guitar cords

I can haul it all in two loads of my rock 'n' roll dolly and be set up and playing in 30 minutes!
People have said that there's nothing there .... and then a blur of activity and suddenly there's all this gear set up! :D

I'm an even quicker blur on the way out.

I dunno ........ personally I don't mind set up ..... it's just part of the process for me.

Last edited:
yeah me too, but if your amp doesn't have a reverb then it's really the only choice.
Well, actually I have an awesome Fostex spring unit but I'm not hauling that around .... it's for the studio.

Have you ever checked out the VanAmps Sole-Mate spring reverb?
A very sweet sounding spring reverb.
It's a little bigger than a typical stomp, but it's not huge, and it's very light....plus you can get it with a top Pedal Deck, that lets you put 3-4 stomps on top of the Sole-Mate.

Sole-Mate Spring Reverb Pedal

Space saving Pedal Deck

I got the Tweed version several years ago, and loved it immediately. Then about a year or so ago, I sent it in to have the Pedal Deck installed and an extension power connection so that I could power a couple of other pedals plus the Sole-Mate all off the single Sole-Mate PS.....depending on their amps draw.

Maybe a bit pricey for just a spring reverb...but it delivers.

I've read reviews on it ...... they were very positive.

But I'm happy enough with the Hall of Fame. When I use my larger amps they all have spring reverbs in them so it wouldn't make economical sense plus I'm skeptical of short pan 'verbs ..... I've never heard one I really liked.

...plus I'm skeptical of short pan 'verbs ..... I've never heard one I really liked.

Yeah...I was too, then I went to a local music store, auditioned the Sole-Mate...and I was sold.

Mind you, I like the longer pan verbs that come on a couple of my amps....but I have 4 without any reverb, so the Sole-Mate was a nice way to add it.

The Swart SST that I have came with a very short pan....and if you look at the Swart reviews, everyone raves about their "space tone"...but I didn't like the sound of that short pan reverb.
It was too bold, and came up very loud at low settings. I like reverb that is subtle, and adds that 3D space without the over-the-top spring BOINK! :D
So I found an old Accutronics long pan on eBay that had the right impedances (I think it was from a Carvin amp)....and I put it in one of those thick vinyl reverb bags and then rigged it so the bag w/tank hangs outside, off the back of the semi-open cab on the lower section.
It came out great and it sounds better to my ears better then the short Swart pan. I left the stock one where it was inside the head cab. :)

I love the Hall of Fame reverb. It's the only pedal out there that I don't have, but want to get.

Yeah ..... it's a pretty amazing sounding pedal ..... makes everything sound mo' better.

I found an old Accutronics long pan on eBay that had the right impedances (I think it was from a Carvin amp)....and I put it in one of those thick vinyl reverb bags and then rigged it so the bag w/tank hangs outside, off the back of the semi-open cab on the lower section.
It came out great and it sounds better to my ears better then the short Swart pan. I left the stock one where it was inside the head cab. :)
sounds like the kind of thing I would do!

out front ...... I rarely use a loop ..... I generally prefer the sound of most pedals into the front end.

Yeah, that's how I use the Sole-Mate....it's the last thing before the amp, though I rarely have more than 1-2 pedals between it and the guitar. Maybe.... guitar-OD-delay-reverb-amp....or instead of the OD it might be a phase/flnager or a wah....etc.

Yeah, that's how I use the Sole-Mate....it's the last thing before the amp, though I rarely have more than 1-2 pedals between it and the guitar. Maybe.... guitar-OD-delay-reverb-amp....or instead of the OD it might be a phase/flnager or a wah....etc.

I use the sole mate to wash the dishes and the clothes...

Back