How many DI boxes do you use?

hehe, I am listening to Meshuggah right now. That's pretty cool. Do you ever have other cases where you are trying to connect low and high-impedance signals with each other?

That does depend on a few things, I have a few things that can be used as a direct in. A DGStomp, a Tech21 GT2, and a few Mic preamps.

If you Mean at one time, I may use 2 for bass, like the GT2 into a VTB-1 mic pre is a real animal.

Ditto CaveDweller...

Keyboards are usually the only thing that screw me up when recording our band live. Sometimes I've gone direct to the board from the keyboard amplifier 'Pre-out' (like on a Peavy Keyboard combo amp), and had major problems controllling levels. The DI helps a lot to match impedence, and seems to solve the level problem.

Also have a Behringer Ultra GI-100. I have yet to try this with my vintage Fender Bassman, but suposedly you can connect it between your amplifier's output and your speaker cabinet; it taps the amplified signal of your amp direct to the board, but your speaker is still connected. I worry a little bit about matching the output impedence of the tube amp when trying this though.

We always DI/split the Bass to the PA when playing live.

Just thinking outloud now that perhaps an acoustic electric guitar pre to a DI might not be a bad set-up.

Any source thats a long distance from your board, or high impedence...

Jam-on...

savageblues,

hi, I've got a Behringer Ultra DI 100 too.

Have you noticed any mains hum/nastiness from using channel 4 up the right hand end by the mains switch? Maybe I have a rogue unit but it seems a little prone? How's yours?

cheers Mark

Hi Mark, mines the single unit. You must have the 4 channel model.

You think you are getting some power supply hum introduced into Ch4 because thats where the power supply is? Power suppy diodes CAN scream with 60hz noise, so you might be right.

The single unit is battery or phantom powered, so no noise problems from a power supply.

savageblues, thanks for the feedback, yep, it's the 4 channel job.

I think I'll open it up and see what's what inside, maybe a bit of earthed cheap copper screening foil will fix it.

Cheers Mark

Got two Avalon U5's and two Countryman DI boxes. The Countryman's don't get a lot of use anymore with the U5's "sitting around". :)

$1300 just for 4 DI's. This shit is insane!!! :D

Ed

a sansamp bass di for bass recording.

a sansamp classic which i use in liew of actually micing the amp for the studio.

a whirlwind director which i connect to my amp out when gigging.

a RNP pre-amp which i use in conjunction with the sansamp boxes for bass and guitar, and i use it to record keyboard and drum machine via DI.

I have four Countryman Type 85's, RNP, VTB-1's that I'll use for drum machines, keyboards, guitars.

I'm looking into the SansAMP Bass Driver since it seems to be getting favorable reviews.

Bowisc

(1) ART dPDB Dual Passive Direct Box
(4) Whirlwind IMP2 Direct Box
(1) Tech 21 SansAmp Bass Driver
(2) CAI Countryman 85 Direct Box
(1) Rapco DB-100 Direct Box
And an assortment of Mic/Line Preamps.

Tech21 Sansamp Bass DI
Joemeek VC1Qcs
Focusrite Penta

The only thing I DI anyway is Bass guitar, so it would be them three units, listed in order of how often I use them for bass.
And not uncommon, the first one into one of the others.

Back