How many bad songs do you have to write before you write a good one?

Okay, Barry, you've been shooting your mouth off about "good" song writing. Put up something you've written. This is not about production, but the song. Your move.

Come on yall, call outs are kind of lame. I get it, you want him to put up or shut up. Sure. Trolls don't work like that though. They feed off of it. You demand, he refuses because you demand, no one gets anything out of it. All it does is prolong his act.

Daydream Night is a pretty good song, but nothing special. Don't waste a moment has been done 1000 times before. The recording isn't bad, but shit can the obviously fake drums. As stated countless times in this thread, it's all in the ear of the beholder.

Daydream Night is a pretty good song, but nothing special. Don't waste a moment has been done 1000 times before. The recording isn't bad, but shit can the obviously fake drums. As stated countless times in this thread, it's all in the ear of the beholder.

And your songs mr bongo boy? LOL i like how it proves to you that its all in the ear of the beholder.

Whether you like it or not, has no bearing on it as a song,. I think these would be b sides, not even sure if they will make the record, all depends how they sound, compared to the others, I usually dont write this pop oriented stuff, but somebody suggested I try.

?? No songs ??

No bongoboy has no songs. LOL

I had two songs up, was just considering them to redo, but bongoboy had to take the time out to tell me its all in the ear of the beholder, lol.

As if my songs make any of my previous comments true or untrue. I know Im a good songwriter, I also know im not great, but he answered in the way i thought he would, so i took them down, unless of course he wants to put his up and We can talk about the craft of both of our songs, and see if we cant come up with some sort of an agreement on each LOLLLL

"he"s bangin on them bongos like a chimpanzee ahh that aint workin...

No bongoboy has no songs. LOL

I had two songs up, was just considering them to redo, but bongoboy had to take the time out to tell me its all in the ear of the beholder, lol.

As if my songs make any of my previous comments true or untrue. I know Im a good songwriter, I also know im not great, but he answered in the way i thought he would, so i took them down, unless of course he wants to put his up and We can talk about the craft of both of our songs, and see if we cant come up with some sort of an agreement on each LOLLLL

"he"s bangin on them bongos like a chimpanzee ahh that aint workin...

Well, I was looking forward to hearing them.

I think most people agree with what you're saying, but to be so rigid on what really is very subjective topic, kind of sets up for an argument. I think many feel a good structured song is one that brings something to the listener. And while we all like to say it doesn't matter, it really does. The listener is who we are writing for when it is all said and done. The structure is there for them.

While I am not concerned with how many people like my songs, I would like then to reach at least one person. A structure is to support that effort. Therefore, it is really subjective. But and to your point, I think it is a craft that needs to be honed and practiced so that the song writer reaches whomever they are trying to reach.

All right, stating the obvious. Still would like to hear your stuff.

Well, I was looking forward to hearing them.

I think most people agree with what you're saying, but to be so rigid on what really is very subjective topic, kind of sets up for an argument. I think many feel a good structured song is one that brings something to the listener. And while we all like to say it doesn't matter, it really does. The listener is who we are writing for when it is all said and done. The structure is there for them.

While I am not concerned with how many people like my songs, I would like then to reach at least one person. A structure is to support that effort. Therefore, it is really subjective. But and to your point, I think it is a craft that needs to be honed and practiced so that the song writer reaches whomever they are trying to reach.

All right, stating the obvious. Still would like to hear your stuff.

It's not something you need to worry about though. Write anything, literally anything, and there will be one listener out there that will like it. The trick is finding that listener if having someone else like your stuff is your goal. Don't write for them. Fuck them. People are stupid. They'll eat what you cook. You just need to find the people that are hungry for what you serve. That's a whole 'nother ballgame.

in all fairness now, if you look at my initial post in this thread, I broke down the difference between likes/dislikes, good/bad. And simply because the people who previously said something different, I was fighting off everybody here who didnt want what I was saying to be truer than what they said earlier. THAT is what caused this whole debacle

At the end of the day, the chances of any song good/bad. well crafted/badly crafted, being heard and sought after, much less bought are extremely slim. in the end it does come down to people LIKING your music, people dont buy on degree of difficulty, or on keen insight or on skill. (Usually, but there are some eclectics that want to be different and want to buy stuff that others may not get)

HOWEVER, since the chances of making a dime are slim outside of doing gigs, what is your purpose for doing it?

The only person you have to impress is yourself, but that should include doing it correctly. Combining inspiration with at least some understanding of how you are doing, and why something works, why it doesn't. What makes a great song great, what makes it stink. Recognizing those things and then trying to do it.

The real main point was that just because somethng is popular, does not make it good. But likes and dislikes are always going to be there and supercede it

The real main point was that just because somethng is popular, does not make it good. But likes and dislikes are always going to be there and supercede it

I can say from my point of view, we agree that we disagree.

HOWEVER, since the chances of making a dime are slim outside of doing gigs, what is your purpose for doing it?

I do it for myself, no one else. I like the music I make and I'm sometimes quite proud of what I do. I couldn't give a flying monkeys arse what anyone else thinks about it. It's mine.

:thumbs up:

I do it for myself, no one else. I like the music I make and I'm sometimes quite proud of what I do. I couldn't give a flying monkeys arse what anyone else thinks about it. It's mine.

:thumbs up:

Nothing wrong with that at all, but you might want to question is that is REALLY why you do it. I mean you are here, you are reaching out to fellow musicians and songwriters, you must have some need to do it outside of yourself

Back