How Loud

Mixxit12

How Now Brown Cow
So when you're mixing how loud do you have your monitors? I hear a lot of engineers cranking it up when mixing but I think you lose your point of reference when you try and mix that loud. I've heard that 85db (from the location of your chair) is about the max you should run. I checked yesterday and I was around 80-90 db the entire session. I was just wondering how loud you mix?

Mixxit12 said:
So when you're mixing how loud do you have your monitors? I hear a lot of engineers cranking it up when mixing but I think you lose your point of reference when you try and mix that loud. I've heard that 85db (from the location of your chair) is about the max you should run. I checked yesterday and I was around 80-90 db the entire session. I was just wondering how loud you mix?
go here:
http://www.homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=204466

I SWEAR I tried the search function because I was certain this had been discussed before. It yielded nothing. I can't believe that thread was last week and I wasn't able to get it on the search. Anywho, Mods feel free to lock this thread. Sheesh....

I find that switching things up as much as possible helps me a lot. Try doing the mix at your most comfortable volume, then listen to it at very low and fairly high volumes to see if something sticks out at you.

Other little mixing trick I've been using is to switch the L-R on your monitors to hear the mix reversed (L in R and R in L). Sometimes big holes in the mix will go unnoticed until you listen to it in an unfamiliar situation.

Back