How long do it take to start a band???

CJ

I been looking to start a band for a long time now but cant find the musicans i need. I am trying to start a christian reggae band.
the churches i good to dont seam to have reggae musicans. guys what do i do.:D :mad:

Do you have any other people yet?

I don't know your area, so it's hard to give solid suggestions. You can try the local Christian bookstores to start. Put together a flier with your music style, interests, and goals on it and put it wherever you can.

The following may or may not apply to you. Many christian artists fall short because they stick to their denomination when searching for musicians. Look at all the churches in your area, they are all believers, even if they are a little different from you. That will make for a good mix, also:).

Lastly, (or firstly?) If you think this is really what you should be doing, pray about it. Nothing can beat that.
I have a Christian band here in Cincy, and have worked with several others in some form. Let me know if I can help.

H2H

Ps, looking at your profile, I see you're a drummer(?)...want to come to Cincy?:)

heh-heh...

Reggae music was a style whose foundation was deeply rooted in the Rastafarian religion.... the term "christian reggae band" seems really funny in that context!!!!!

:D :D

Bruce

(I know, not too helpful...)

My old drummer (Christian band) just moved to Michigan. He was totally into Reggae stuff, and really good, too. If you ever move up there....

Pete
:D

I used to write with a drummer from a Christian rock band and he moved to California and is now an atheist....the icon above is dedicated to him, but I still have love for the dude.......

If you can find a reggae club in Montgomery, AL I'd be shocked!

Whats your background? Have you played with other bands, or is this your first? And can you support it financially?

I played for several years with other groups before I finally put my own together and made the music I wanted to. But by then I had met a lot of people, and I was known around and it was easier to get people together to do something. When I did, I took on all financial responsibility and burden. Everyone went into it ministry minded and knew we would play for some things that would pay us nothing, but we would always play where we were needed to. I payed my members for paying gigs, after the expenses incurred, and personally built up the PA and recording system that we would use.

You should start off by just seeking out Christian musicians, if thats what you're wanting to do. As a Christian artist, we more often than not have to be very versatile in our musical style. If there are any local Christian rock groups, talk to them. Sometimes we will know someone who is looking for something to do.

Versatility is really the key to starting and maintaining a group, in any genre I think.

H2H

Blue Bear Sound said:
heh-heh...

Reggae music was a style whose foundation was deeply rooted in the Rastafarian religion.... the term "christian reggae band" seems really funny in that context!!!!!

:D :D

Bruce

(I know, not too helpful...)

Did Jesus play reggae?

schools

To add to Hard2Hears advice..you may want to put that flier around a "christian" college as well. I visited my niece recently at her "christian" college and was amazed at how many musicians were in her dorm.

I also/sort of/agree with Bruce's comment about the reggae/rasta connection. Have you thought that through? or doesn't it matter?

Oh to have the time to start another band....sounds like fun so enjoy it!

Why does it have to be religious... Just put ads in your local music shops looking for reggea player... leave religion outta music... just friggin' play!.. if you must follow religion, then go to church on Sunday.... see there is a solution.. the best of both worlds..

Joe

how many?

How many people do you want on your band? Mine has 2, me and an instrumentalist (I called him instrumentalist because he basically plays everything and I only sing! :D )

I'm very glad to hear there's one more Christian band to be formed. :)

Sorry didn't provide any help here, but it all depends on how many people you want. :o And don't be stubborn ... be open to people from different denominations.

Good luck!

VOXVENDOR said:
Why does it have to be religious... if you must follow religion, then go to church on Sunday....
I'm with Joe on this one... Just start a band! :rolleyes:
In my 'believe' (actually, I don't believe... in nothing...), music overspans all religions. I only believe in music, I guess. :confused:

I played in churches 4 or 5 times a year with the local fanfare. I don't care. As long as I can play. If they'd ask me to play on a Jewish thingy, I'd do it too. I don't believe, but it doesn't bother me to play there. (Just those boring readings in between our tunes... Jee :p )

So, just start a band. And believe in your music. That's a good start.

I think it's a bit strange, those spiritual music.

This is not a music style, because it can be all music styles (for example this christian reggae). The only thing that keeps all those styles 'spiritual' are the lyrics.

And I really don't like music that's focused on the lyrics. If you want to make music, become a musician. If you want to spread a message, become a poet. If you want to change the world, become a politician. If you want to give critics become Gandhi.

You know what I mean?
Let music be music, and believe be believe, keep them apart, else would either the first or the second be given less attention, and be less qualitative.

For what is worth...

Music WITHOUT some kind of message, value, or belief attached to it is a rather new idea- and pretty much specific to our culture.

The word itself, "music", stems from the belief that those who wrote it were inspired by a spirit called a Muse. ;) The word "inspired" has roots in the word "spirit." You'd be pretty hard pressed to find more than a handful of cultures around the world that doesn't tie their religious thoughts into their music in some form.

Just a (probably trivial) perspective on the issue.

CJ- Best of luck to you in forming your band. Every attempt I have made to put together even a 4 or 5 piece band has been pretty rough. Perhaps the Christian vein in your music will help glue the members of the band together, but it is TOUGH to find more than a few people who's schedule matches well enough for a band- much less their musical tastes and personalities.

Most of the advice suggesting that you leave out the religious aspect probably comes from knowing that you will open yourself to a wider pool of musicians that way, rather than a direct attack on your faith. It may, in fact, be worth thinking about if your current plans don't work out: there is no better way to meet musicians than by playing around a bit.

Take care,
Chris

Music and Religion

It just occured to me reading these posts. King David was a musician, and all of his songs are copywritten in the Bible in the chapter called Psalms. His ability to tie music and religion together is still captivating audiences.

Back